Thread: Overseas When Kitas, Exit Permit Expires

Default Overseas When Kitas, Exit Permit Expires

Hi,
    I'm here on a wife-sponsored Kitas but having some health issues and plan to head back to the UK to get properly checked out. From memory the Exit Reentry Permit expires after three months and then my Kitas expires at the end of October. If I need longer than three months in the UK what are the implications if and when I want to return to Indonesia? Thanks

In relation to the Exit Re-entry Permit , you have 2 options : single or multiple . The single (SERP) is normally issued for 3 months , but I think it is possible to get it for up to 6 months . the multiple can be for 6 months , one year , and 2 years .

http://www.expat.or.id/info/docs.html (visas/documents)

So I think you have 4 options :
    1. SERP for 3 or more months ,
    2. MERP , 6 months ,
    3. Before you leave to UK , cancel the KITAS (ask for an Exit Only Permit/EPO , return KITAS/"blue book" to your Kantor Imigrasi) ,
    4. If your SERP , or MERP expires before you return to Indonesia (in this case the KITAS is canceled , but not in a regular way) , you will need a new visa to come back to Indonesia , and , at the airport , you may have to explain why you didn't get an EPO ( maybe a doctor's letter stating your medical treatment can help) . I believe that if you are with your Indonesian spouse (sponsor of the KITAS) , there will be no major problem (I would ask Kantor Imigrasi about that) .

I believe that if you get only a 3 months SERP , when you are in UK it is possible to extend it , if necessary . I guess the extension need to be requested by someone (with a surat kuasa?) at your city's Kantor Imigrasi (?) , or at Direktorat Jenderal Imigrasi in Jakarta (?) . I think that after the extension approval in Indonesia , Immigration will charge Rp50k to send a telex to an Indonesian Embassy in UK (I would ask Kantor Imigrasi about it too).

I guess that a SERP or a MERP will be limited up to 30 days before the expiry date of the KITAS (these 30 days is supposed to be use for the KITAS extension) .

Hello Marcus

I am putting a remark here in the hope you might look at my post on the KITAS to KITAP thread. I was hoping to get some response but of late have received nothing. I notice you sometimes comment on these matters and would appreciate your advice.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marcus View Post
    So I think you have 4 options :1. SERP for 3 or more months ,2. MERP , 6 months , 3. Before you leave to UK , cancel the KITAS (ask for an Exit Only Permit/EPO , return KITAS/"blue book" to your Kantor Imigrasi) ,4. If your SERP , or MERP expires before you return to Indonesia (in this case the KITAS is canceled , but not in a regular way) , you will need a new visa to come back to Indonesia , and , at the airport , you may have to explain why you didn't get an EPO ( maybe a doctor's letter stating your medical treatment can help) . I believe that if you are with your Indonesian spouse (sponsor of the KITAS) , there will be no major problem (I would ask Kantor Imigrasi about that) ......I guess that a SERP or a MERP will be limited up to 30 days before the expiry date of the KITAS (these 30 days is supposed to be use for the KITAS extension) .
    This could be a big issue.The option 5. that I used myself before; renew KITAS (and MERP of course) abundantly before the trip. They don't like that at all, but the tip agents give is always; tell them there are medical issues. And in your case it's even true.

Thanks very much for such a detailed response Marcus. I thought about applying for a multiple exit/reentry permit because it's valid for six months but I don't think Immigration will issue one because my Kitas has less than six months (5 months 26 days or so) before it expires.
    Looks like I'll have to go with a three-month single-exit/reentry permit and worry about it later. I've got to put my health first.

So, two more questions in that case.
    a) Is there a maximum number of days before leaving Indonesia that I can apply for a SERP or MERP? E.g. Can I apply a month before my departure date?
    b) I'm eventually hoping to apply for Indonesian citizenship, so if I end up not returning before the expiry date of my SERP/MERP or my Kitas will that mean that this year's Kitas won't count towards my total number of years accumulated? (5 or 10 years with Kitas to become WNI)

JStar. If there were a month or two left on my Kitas then I think Immigration might help but I have almost six months remaining on my visa. Plus I probably don't have the time to get another Kitas processed before I have to head home.
    Last edited by burungkecil; 30-04-13 at 11:52.

Are they still issuing Serps? I thought they had stopped.

I know somebody from this forum who renewed his kitas 3 months before, I guess 6 months before probably it is too early but nothing to loose to ask at the inmigration office and explain them what is the problem.
    In my case I was on the number 4 last year, like you I went to my country for a small operation and it took longer than 3 months, I forgot totally about I was having only 3 months and when we came back at the airport in Jakarta told me that my kitas must be canceled it!!!! so finally I entered Indonesia with a normal tourist visa and back again to do all the process from zero!!!!!
    Overcoming poverty is no a gesture of charity is an act of justice the protection of a fundamental human right to dignity..

Quote Originally Posted by burungkecil View Post
    (I) ... I thought about applying for a multiple exit/reentry permit because it's valid for six months but I don't think Immigration will issue one because my Kitas has less than six months (5 months 26 days or so) before it expires...

a) Is there a maximum number of days before leaving Indonesia that I can apply for a SERP or MERP? E.g. Can I apply a month before my departure date?

b) I'm eventually hoping to apply for Indonesian citizenship, so if I end up not returning before the expiry date of my SERP/MERP or my Kitas will that mean that this year's Kitas won't count towards my total number of years accumulated? (5 or 10 years with Kitas to become WNI) ...
    (I) I guess you can get it , but probably valid for 4 months and 26 days ( - the days until it is issued) .

(a) I am almost sure that you can apply anytime , considering the time for their issuance (1 to 4 working days) . Many in this Forum applied for MERP as soon as the KITAS was issued . But if SERP , there is a point to consider . The 3 months validity of the SERP I got started at the date of its issuance , not the date I left Indonesia .

(b) I believe this KITAS would count for the 10 non - continuous years , but not for the 5 continuous years .
    Last edited by marcus; 01-05-13 at 12:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Garden View Post
    Are they still issuing Serps? I thought they had stopped.

I think so . I got one last November .

I went to my local Immigration office this morning and I have to say that they were quite helpful. SERPs are still available apparently but the officer used her discretion and issued me with a MERP valid for five months (that way I will be back in Indonesia one month before my Kitas expires so that I can start the renewal process).

I asked what would happen if I were unable to return before my Kitas expires and she didn't think it was a huge problem. Yes, the immigration department at Soekano-Hatta would rip up my Kitas on arrival back in Indonesia and I would have to get a visa on arrival and start the Kitas process from scratch but other than that they wouldn't give me a hard time.