Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pink Floyd 2011 Remasters

Banned

Default Pink Floyd 2011 Remasters

Virtually the entire Pink Floyd opus was remastered and re-released on CD in 2011. I am wondering if anyone here has heard or owns any of these. If so, how do they sound compared to the old master releases?

Among my favorites, Animals (1977) probably sounds the weakest. James Guthrie, the man in charge of the remasters, said this about the new Animals:

"If you put the two (old and new pressings) side by side, you'll positively hear it. In some cases, it's a small difference, if it had been originally mastered well, and in other cases it is quite substantial. Probably the biggest (improvement) of any single disc was Animals. We went back to the original master and it was substantially better, with a lot more clarity and impact, and some actual true presence which the copy tape just didn't have."

Has anyone here heard it?

I have it on 128kb MP3 kidding!

Banned

Well if, as one forum member claims, one can not hear the difference, it really doesn't matter, does it?

Quote Originally Posted by Hombre de Maiz View Post
    Well if, as one forum member claims, one can not hear the difference, it really doesn't matter, does it?
    Nice try, but I wagered that you (as in you in particular), won't hear the difference between 192kbps and original in the double blind test, so please keep the record straight if you want to be taken seriously. BTW, I'm still up for our test, though it seems my November trip to Bali might have to be cancelled - new job.

Virtually the entire Pink Floyd opus was remastered and re-released on CD in 2011. I am wondering if anyone here has heard or owns any of these. If so, how do they sound compared to the old master releases?
    I hope they didn't play with DRC too much, seems to be way too popular with remasters lately.
    Sergei - Your friendly neighborhood IT consultant.

I remember as an impressionable 9 year old being on the number 44 bus that travelled through Battersea where i grew up. As we went past the powerstation and i remember seeing the actual inflatable pig that was suspended between the two chimneys as a promotion for the Pink Floyd album Animals and being fascinated by it, though at the time i was too young to know what it was all about - that came a few years later when i started to get into their music. Also did you know that the original inflatable used for the promotion broke free and floated into the flight path of jets approaching heathrow airport ??

Ironically i love the image from the inside booklet of the Who's Album Quadrophenia where the main character is riding his scooter along the street with Battersea power station as the back drop. It has been an icon of the south london skyline since 1930 and most south londoners like me have a soft spot for it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sergei View Post
    Nice try, but I wagered that you (as in you in particular), won't hear the difference between 192kbps and original in the double blind test, so please keep the record straight if you want to be taken seriously. BTW, I'm still up for our test, though it seems my November trip to Bali might have to be cancelled - new job.

I hope they didn't play with DRC too much, seems to be way too popular with remasters lately.
    What's DRC? Does it have anything to do with compressing the dynamic range and jacking up the volume and bass in order to appeal to the very many who equate bloated bass and volume with good sound quality?

In my world and work, the first thing that comes to mind when someone says DRC is the Democratic Republic of Congo.
    Last edited by Hombre de Maiz; 19-09-12 at 09:23.

The best live band in the world, seen them many times ( yes I am that old )
    Wish you were here is I think available on SACD, have you tried that or you only have stereo?

Dark side of the moon is available on Hybrid SACD also.

If you have still got something to play vinyl then try to get a copy of your favourite album on original pressing, may still be available and many times the normal price, but back in the day, my audiophile friend swore it was better quality.
    Expect to pay between 150-300 USD for 1st pressing PF albums
    As a stranger give it welcome.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy

Banned

No, I have never owned a turntable/vinyl...

Yes, I was an early adopter/enthusiast of SACDs and DVD-Audio. I got my first SACD/DVD-Audio back in 2007. I still have it, but I've moved back to magnetic media. I've ripped all of my CDs, 98% of my collection, onto a laptop, and that's how I play music. I no longer load things to play them. I have a couple of double-layer SACDs whose Redbook layer I've ripped, although I have a few that are SACD only and those I have not been able to rip. I don't think I'll be buying more SACDs and DVD-Audio in the future. Redbook, with good masters and good mastering, is plenty good.

I am particularly interested in these new Redbook remasters of Animals and Meddle, and only on formats that can be ripped easily.*

What's DRC? Does it have anything to do with compressing the dynamic range and jacking up the volume and bass in order to appeal to the very many who equate bloated bass and volume with good sound quality?

In my world and work, the first thing that comes to mind when someone says DRC is the Democratic Republic of Congo.
    Dynamic Range Compression
    Sergei - Your friendly neighborhood IT consultant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast