Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long to become indonesian citizen?

Cool How long to become indonesian citizen?

How long must one stay in indonesia to apply for ciizenship?
    I heard it is 5 years,and does it mean one must not travel at all within these 5 yrs in order to qualify or what?
    Finally,what are the documents required for the application process and after having the citizenship, can that individual set up his own business like any other indonesian? Thank you guys..

5 uninterrupted years, or 10 interrupted years .

Sure, the individual would be able to set up his/her own business like any other Indonesians. I can't imagine why a naturalised Indonesian should/would have any different rights from those who are Indonesians by birth.

As for the requirements, take a look at this:

http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...an-Nationality

Quote Originally Posted by fandv View Post
    5 uninterrupted years, or 10 interrupted years .

Sure, the individual would be able to set up his/her own business like any other Indonesians. I can't imagine why a naturalised Indonesian should/would have any different rights from those who are Indonesians by birth.

As for the requirements, take a look at this:

http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...an-Nationality
    Thanks.But we know that almost every expatriate will have to make a quick run to SG or a nearby country to renew his KITAS each 2 or 1 year.How then will it be possible for one to stay in indonesia for 5 uninterrupted years?Illegally? i guess not!

Can anyone clarify the situation folks.

If I am not wrong, having a Kitas means you are in Indonesia without need to go out of the country for 6 years if you donīt want, to renew your kitas you donīt need to go out of the country.
    Overcoming poverty is no a gesture of charity is an act of justice the protection of a fundamental human right to dignity..

Shinta is correct . A KITAS can be extended 5 times and the extension process does not require the KITAS holder to go out of Indonesia .

I don't think taking short trips overseas affects the 5 uninterrupted years rule?

Quote Originally Posted by PeteD View Post
    I don't think taking short trips overseas affects the 5 uninterrupted years rule?
    Correct. We are talking about 5 uniterrupted years of RESIDENCY, not 5 years of uniterrupted presence on the indonesia soil. You can go in and out as many time as you want as long as you don't EPO your KITAS. If you do, then you need to cumulate 10 years of residency (unless if in these 10 years one of your KITAS/KITAP has been extended for five full years without interruption of course).

However, if you are not an eks indonesian or married to an indonesian, becoming Indonesian will not be as easy as just cumulating years of residency.
    Torang samua basudara

Kami harus melakukan sesuai dengan persyaratan dan peraturan yang berlaku untuk Indonesia lebih baik.

Please, only moderator related questions (and fun stuff) by PM. Kindly post law related questions to the public forum so that answers can help the whole community.

I'm not sure why someone would want to change to Indonesian Nationality. What advantages to do you get.

Indonesians need to jump through hoops for almost every country they visit. Local laws and regulations, Indonesian or not, are not overly enforced or preserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Guangzhou View Post
    I'm not sure why someone would want to change to Indonesian Nationality. What advantages to do you get.

Probably not that many...... but being an Indonesian citizen you'd get your rights to purchase/own lands though :P.

Getting Indonesian Residency is difficult enough so imagine getting a Citizenship.

I agree with Guangzhou...for a foreigner from a western country to accept Indonesian Citizenship and therefore giving up his original Citizenship/Passport requires careful thought and specific requirements.

In the past 30+ years, when Indonesia had a different political status, many Indonesians were persuaded, economically or racially, to exit Indonesia and find another country to survive. Those Indonesians were offered Immigrant status in many countries and, after time, Citizenships.
    Others left thru' marriage to foreigners and found travelling with their family on different passports and visa requirements almost impossible, so changed Citizenships for convenience.

Today, Indonesia is a much happier place and more stable. The passport is more readily accepted and those that previously left are older...many would like to return to their homeland permanently but cannot. Due to the immigrant policy...they need to get a visa.

Many also, during their stay abroad, contributed to pension plans etc....if they now regained Indonesian Citizenship but had to denounce the other, they may lose those pensions they contributed towards. That makes no sense.

Indonesia needs to reform to permit ex WNI's to easily return and regain their Nationality. The country may also benefit from the wealth and experience the returnees could bring.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast