Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Roles From Immigration For New Teachers

Default New Roles From Immigration For New Teachers

Our school just have received a memo from Immigration agent that from now on all teachers who are applying for KITAS have to have a min BA in a subject they would like to teach with a teacher's Certification, five year teaching experience and health-certificate. Please let me know if someone else have got same kind a information. Thanks

That's not a new rule. It's been the rule for a long time. The difference is that they're just now getting serious about it.

Indeed. They've left two years to the school to be prepared and now they are showing the stick. Schools knew it would come it their way, but many have done little to anticipate it.
    Torang samua basudara

Kami harus melakukan sesuai dengan persyaratan dan peraturan yang berlaku untuk Indonesia lebih baik.

Please, only moderator related questions (and fun stuff) by PM. Kindly post law related questions to the public forum so that answers can help the whole community.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen_flynn View Post
    Our school just have received a memo from Immigration agent that from now on all teachers who are applying for KITAS have to have a min BA in a subject they would like to teach with a teacher's Certification, five year teaching experience and health-certificate. Please let me know if someone else have got same kind a information. Thanks
    Is Immigration really insisting on five years teaching experience for new hires?

Is it a rule about the five years and the BA or an actual law or both?

I also wonder if there is any distinction to be made in the different forms of teaching. I would think that any University graduate ex-pat with a Ba of more than five years would be reluctant to accept the salary package offered to those who teach merely English conversation and not in an International School.

So might it not depend where you teach and who you are teaching?

Is it being suggested that I would need a BA in English (which I do not have) in order to teach my Wife and children English, my Mother in law, all of whom are Indonesian citizens? How would they go about looking to enforce such a rule or law? Pay 'spy money' to the local Ojek drivers or even my Mr R T for information and ask a group of guys to knock on my door and disturb my family life?

You do not have to be in an official institution to teach English. It is something any native English speaker does with a foreigner without thinking about it when striking up conversation and without looking for any remuneration.

May I suggest that there is or should be a distinction between the different levels of teaching required within a School (not many ex pats can handle teaching Science or Maths for example) and a clear distinction also between actually teaching English language which involves following a course such as TOEFL IELTS and stuff like that and everyday basic English conversation. How could it possibly be logical to have a BA to give basic English conversation?

Let us see where we are going with this.

Banned

Even for a company if you want to be a manager or an employee you must provide a university diploma to show that you are eligible to that work.

I've also read that on-line or distant-learning degrees (from the UK's Open University for example) will no longer be accepted.

I wonder if this in reaction to a glut of ESL teachers who've suddenly found themselves in possession of a distant degree in English? I know of at least one language school who are being rather creative with photoshop...
    And the young people ask, what are they marching for? And I ask myself the same question.

Can anyone tell me if you can still teach in Indo with less than 2 yrs class experience even if you meet all the other criteria? tks wj

Hi, me again. Is there a cut off date the the Indo gov will start to enforce the 5yr minimum teaching experience this year? I met a teacher in Jkt that has just been employed this year with less than 5 yrs experience. Tks again wj

The 5 year rule seems to be one they are paying less attention to at the moment. They seem to be focusing on the qualifications in particular.

However it really depends on who is processing the work permit half the time. Unfortunately there are very rarely any definite's in Indonesia.
    The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everyone else.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast