Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Satellite Shop Bandung and does Indovision work with Dreambox?

Default Satellite Shop Bandung and does Indovision work with Dreambox?

Dear fellow expats and Indonesian people.

I have been living in Indonesia on and of for the last 11 years, always enjoyed it here.
    But, there's always things which are a bit harder than in Europe or the US.

I have the following questions/remarks.

Most of the last years I used Indovision as our (girlfriend and me) Tv provider, now I have two because I have two Tv sets, the other one is Top Tv.
    Top Tv's Sat Box receiver is of a inferior quality, crashes many times and the software is so so.
    I was in Singapore for My visa run last month and wanted to buy a Dreambox in Johor Barhru Malaysia, can't buy anything Sat. related stuff in SG because of the law not allowing satellite dishes.
    I have been to J.B. many times, it's a lot cheaper than Sg but I though that the Dreambox would not work on Indovision so I didn't go there.

Now, My questions are :

Is it really possible to have Indovision work on a Dreambox or any other Linux based Sat. receivers, note on this, I always thought Indovision uses a circular LNB, just look at it, it's much bigger than normal LNB's and I also thought they use a different Frequency band.

Does the subscription Card work in a Dreambox, or do I need a special CAM for it?

Where can I find a Satellite shop in Bandung, preferably English speaking?
    (Even after having been here so long My Bahasa is minimum)

Is it possible to connect two Tv's to a dreambox on only one Satellite dish/LNB from Indovision, this way I can get rid of TOP Tv?
    (Does it work with two tuners inside?)

Do I always need an internet connection for the dreambox to work, does the internet needs to be on at all time?
    (I use Tri 3G dongle as My provider now since there is not much available in Bandung and ADSL here is expensive, JKT is much better).
    (The USB dongle is connected to a TP-Link MR3420 3G enabled router which can be set to be always on.)

Now, on a side note, I have a 2 new LG Tv's which I hacked, so it's possible to record on that but only from the build in Tuner which is DVB-T and Indonesia does not have it yet, worse, they just decided to not to use DVB-T but DVB-T2 so My almost new Tv's is already outdated and incompatible with the new standard.
    It's about time they will sell Tv's with build in CI+ Cams and build in Sat. receivers so there is no need for an external Box which I hate.
    In Europe-The Netherlands-they have build in CI+ and it works like a charm and can use the Tv's UI.
    As so many times the Indo government makes stupid decisions, just look at the latest law where Top Expat CEO are not allowed anymore, it's not law yet but it will scare of many international companies.

Enough said, hopefully there are some knowledgeable people here on this forum.

Cheers Perry

Today I became aware of Indovision providing a second decoder for half the price of the original package.

I asked them 4 months ago if they had such a package but they replied with, ---We need your customer number---, but We were not connected yet?????
    So, I probably get rid of Top Tv and get a second decoder from them.
    What I don't understand is that it's really expensive to have Extras, if I want it all I probably pay more than 400.000, that's extremely expensive.
    Back in Europe I can get 60+ channels for about the same as a basic package here, and many HD channels, All local channels are HD(10+ channels)
    We had just a basic package but for 4 months we enjoyed all the channels, until yesterday when it's not available yet.
    Like to see Formula 1 on Indovision, before Global 1 had F1 but not anymore so I need to get sports which adds another 50.000 Rp.
    Luckily I could still see F1 on Top Tv but that's Extra as well and until now it's still there, hope they won't disconnect it before monday, otherwise I miss.

My questions still remain.

Cheers Perry

If you don't mind being without HD , you could see if there is cable TV in your area . I had Megavision (phone : 204.26.24 , Jl. Karang Layung 27 , near the lateral gate of Paris Van Java Shopping Center) , which offers probably all of the Indovision channels , for around Rp200k per month ( I think Telkomvision also offers cable TV) .
    And as you may know , it is easy to feed the signal to 2 TVs , to record , cheap to get an extra receiver if necessary . The biggest negative things for me was to know the programing schedule as their monthly book doesn't include all channels and when there is a problem with the signals at their office , they don't have a technician to fix it outside of the usual working hours (this may occur once per around 3 months) .

Quote Originally Posted by marcus View Post
    If you don't mind being without HD , you could see if there is cable TV in your area . I had Megavision (phone : 204.26.24 , Jl. Karang Layung 27 , near the lateral gate of Paris Van Java Shopping Center) , which offers probably all of the Indovision channels , for around Rp200k per month ( I think Telkomvision also offers cable TV) .
    And as you may know , it is easy to feed the signal to 2 TVs , to record , cheap to get an extra receiver if necessary . The biggest negative things for me was to know the programing schedule as their monthly book doesn't include all channels and when there is a problem with the signals at their office , they don't have a technician to fix it outside of the usual working hours (this may occur once per around 3 months) .
    Thanks Marcus
    The problem is that in the area I live (Up from Ledeng) there is no cable Tv, Bandung should have Cable Tv by now, it's a big city and I really wish that FirstMedia had a service here.
    Same for internet, only cheap way is to get a USB 3G dongle, ADSL and Cable Internet is slow and expensive.
    The 2 Tv's on one receiver doesn't work because both Tv's would have the same channel, as for Indovision they provide an extra receiver for 50% discount on the same package, but what if I want more on 1 Tv, that again is not possible.
    The service for 200.000 is actually an illegal one as far as I know, they just have 60+ Indovision receivers with their respective subscriptions and put that on the cable!.

I think I will go for Indovision family package, 2 decoders and the Mars package which have sports inside, all for 225.000 including two receivers, and just drop TOP Tv, that receiver crashes every day, went back but same problem, they can have their S**t.
    If I then buy a Dreambox HD I can have 1!!!! HD channel (NGC HD) which is included in Basic Package.

But I still need a sat shop.

Thanks Perry

I am using TOP TV , but it crashed just once in almost 7 months .

This thread also discuss satellite receivers : http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...dovision/page2

And below are some stores in Bandung that may sell satellite receivers . I didn't call any of them , so ...:

INTERSAT PARABOLA BANDUNG TELP( 022) 70149062-08156114224
    http://intersat.webs.com/parabolafta.htm

Luxor Parabola, phone 200.11.11 , Setrasari Mall

Parabola Satelite , Kompl. Taman Kopo, phone 7017.9899

Resa Parabola, Ruko Taman Holis Indah Blok D No.2 , 022-6024726

Bina Parabola Toko, Jl Gardujati 72, phone:022-4207025/4206404 , fax:022-4206404/4207025

Camar Parabola Digita, Jl Terusan Pasirkoja 365, 022-6043189

Yagi Parabola Jl Cikawao 27-A 022-4234917
    Last edited by marcus; 18-03-12 at 17:52.

Thanks Marcus, I will look into it if they have sat receivers.

Our Top Tv box crashes nearly every day, my girlfriend went back but I should have marked the receiver with a pen
    so I could have seen if it's still the same box.
    Very strange actually, they almost always run on Linux and Linux rarely crashes, must be some hardware failure.

Just Perry. Any Dreambox or clone will work with Indovision. OpenPLI with CCcam. Yes, you can have multiple dreamboxes share one subscription. In my house I have four tvs with one subscription. The boxes need to be connected through a LAN. Added bonus are the 5 HD channels that you can receive without additional charges.

What I can say is that my TOP TV receiver was apparently new (it came in a clean new box) , and when it crashed (only a blue picture) I brought just the card to the service center . In few minutes the lady returned me the card (apparently the same card) and when , at home , I re-introduced the card into the receiver , all worked again . So I suppose it was not a receiver problem .
    Last edited by marcus; 19-03-12 at 10:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Bali88 View Post
    Just Perry. Any Dreambox or clone will work with Indovision. OpenPLI with CCcam. Yes, you can have multiple dreamboxes share one subscription. In my house I have four tvs with one subscription. The boxes need to be connected through a LAN. Added bonus are the 5 HD channels that you can receive without additional charges.
    Now, that's what I wanted to hear, I was more or less aware about cardsharing but not until someone tries it for themselves will they really understand the whole issue.

Example, you have a windows PC, then you decide to buy a Mac, your don't know anything about it and reading on the net does help but not enough, only when you start to use it yourself then it becomes much easier.
    I've been reading about Dreamboxes, cardsharing and the lot for a long time, do I understand it fully, No but I will once I buy them and experiment with them.

So, if I buy tow dreamboxes and have only one card I can share that one over My network? This is more of a statement than a question!

Are there cheaper boxes than dreambox with the same possibilities because 2 HD Dreamboxes are expensive?

Thanks Perry

Quote Originally Posted by marcus View Post
    What I can say is that my TOP TV receiver was apparently new (it came in a clean new box) , and when it crashed (only a blue picture) I brought just the card to the service center . In few minutes the lady returned me the card (apparently the same card) and when , at home , I re-introduced the card into the receiver , all worked again . So I suppose it was not a receiver problem .
    Yeah, that's is most probably a problem with the card, this box works well when it's on, but many times it's not possible to switch of and later on when I switch on the tv it's a black picture from that STB, I then unplug the mains for a few seconds, plug it in again and many times have to go through the whole set-up again.

BTW, My girlfriend says that if I drop TOP Tv now I have to pay 400.000 fee because we only have it for 4-5 months, is that true?
    It's the same company which installed it, they should have told us that Indovision has the family option.

But, now that Bali88 told Me it is possible to share one card from a Dreambox I will most probably just do that.

Cheers Perry

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast