Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2012 Minimum Wages per Province/ Upah Minimum Propinsi 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Shinta View Post
    Sorry, what is UMR?
    Upah Minimum Regional. It's another name for UMP. I tend to favor the use of UMP, which in my opinion is more accurate and clearly indicates that it affects the province (P stands for Provinsi/Propinsi). "Regional" is bit more confusing, IMHO. Though the PerMen tenaga kerja nomor PER-05/MEN/1989 tentang Upah Minimum calls it Upah Minimum Regional (UMR), since the decentralization law took force and otonomi darah became prevalent, the appellation UMP tends to be favored and is the term used in most SK enacted by governors.

UMP or UMK affects mostly workers who work in the industry where the unions are more prone to control what's going on. I don't have any statistics handy but I don't think it affects a majority of workers in Indonesia.
    Last edited by atlantis; 20-03-12 at 08:11.
    Torang samua basudara

Kami harus melakukan sesuai dengan persyaratan dan peraturan yang berlaku untuk Indonesia lebih baik.

Please, only moderator related questions (and fun stuff) by PM. Kindly post law related questions to the public forum so that answers can help the whole community.

I pay my live-in maid just under the minimum set for Sumatera Utara. However, on top of that she gets a weekly allowance for food and sundries. She used to live in 24/7 but I like to have the house to myself sometimes, so she goes home on Friday afternoon and has Saturdays and Sundays off. She also has very generous (paid) holidays for the same reason.

Her work definitely isn't onerous, and she does not have to 'work' 24 hours a day. In fact, as long as she gets through the work in a day, and meets the standards I want, it is up to her to organize how and when she does it. She likes to get her 'daily routine work' done early in the morning, then goes shopping, naps, visits a friend etc. during the middle of the day, and catches up on any special tasks later in the afternoon. She has usually finished everything by about 7pm but insists on waiting up until I arrive back from work at around 9.30pm.

Should I raise her salary to the minimum set? I will decide around Ramadan time, which is when I usually decide on pay rises etc. I have a handyman who comes in once a week to do routine (and non-routine) maintenance work. The same applies to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Aris@Batam View Post
    the minimum wages in Batam, Raiu is changed to IDR.1.402.000

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2...-concerns.html
    Wow that is pretty insane, compared with the other cities!

Quote Originally Posted by atlantis View Post
    I think that Nakertrans got it wrong. Surat Keputusan Gubernur Kaltim Nomor : 561/K.723/2011 dated 15 Nopember 2011, and effective 1 Januari 2012 set the Upah Minimum Provinsi (UMP) Kalimantan Timur tahun 2012 at IDR 1.177.000.
    It is confirmed in the official website of PemProv KalTim in an article dated days ago: http://www.kaltimprov.go.id/kaltim.p...berita&id=8118 ("Besaran UMP tahun ini Rp1.177.000")

You may have been misleaded by UMK, which is slightly different. UMK is the minimum wage valid for a particular Kota or Kabupaten. No UMK should be set below the UMP, but they can be higher if the Pemerintah Kota or Pemerintah Kabupaten decide it should be higher than the UMP.
    You might be perfectly right, thanks for the clarification, atlantis.

TS

Quote Originally Posted by phiss View Post
    I pay my live-in maid just under the minimum set for Sumatera Utara. However, on top of that she gets a weekly allowance for food and sundries. She used to live in 24/7 but I like to have the house to myself sometimes, so she goes home on Friday afternoon and has Saturdays and Sundays off. She also has very generous (paid) holidays for the same reason.

Her work definitely isn't onerous, and she does not have to 'work' 24 hours a day. In fact, as long as she gets through the work in a day, and meets the standards I want, it is up to her to organize how and when she does it. She likes to get her 'daily routine work' done early in the morning, then goes shopping, naps, visits a friend etc. during the middle of the day, and catches up on any special tasks later in the afternoon. She has usually finished everything by about 7pm but insists on waiting up until I arrive back from work at around 9.30pm.

Should I raise her salary to the minimum set? I will decide around Ramadan time, which is when I usually decide on pay rises etc. I have a handyman who comes in once a week to do routine (and non-routine) maintenance work. The same applies to him.
    I think it would depend on how helpful is she for you, and most important, the level of trust and her experience, besides distance from her home city. For example in Java I see relatives and acquaintances paying in the range of 500,000 or 600,000 because the maids belong to a close "kampung"

In Kalimantan, and since 99% of the personnel to work as home service comes from Java you have to have distance in consideration and it's quite difficult to pay less than 750,000 and that is counting the person being very young and experienced, for experienced maids you would have to go till 1,000,000 or more, a decent "suster" would reach the 1,500,000 easily.

Things get even more expensive if the person is someone that you can really trust in, then it would be advisable to throw another 250,000 to 500,000 in. If you guys think is very expensive, think about leaving someone alone at home and being not worry about your jewelry, tech toys and cash... is just priceless.

My 2cp.

TS

Quote Originally Posted by Missnaughty View Post
    The employer of domestic- live- in get UMR x 2. Dual income. That is why they pay their domestic helper below UMR. My sister's salary (lecture) is rp. 1,700,000/mo. Husband's salary is rp. 2,500,000. They have 1 child and pay their domestic helper rp. 500k.... Helper do not work 24/7.. They sleep during the nite.
    My cold, uncaring response to that story would be they pay what they pay because they can get away with it, because the wages of domestic workers are at the moment not regulated. If they were regulated, perhaps that would force people to really think things through before they decide they want a kid and the responsibilities/expenses that come along with it, including having to hire a domestic help.

However, my motivation in asking that question was not to attack specific people or their reasoning for paying their domestic help below minimum wage. I was just asking, because i know domestic help are typically paid well below minimum wage, and i had been curious for a while now if it's actually illegal to do so (apparently it's not!).

As for 24/7, note i said 'virtually'. I know they sleep, duh, unless you hired yourself a droid worker. My point was that compared to, say, a factory worker that gets to clock in and out of work, the work hours of a live-in domestic help are more at the whim of his/her employer. Yes, they get to sleep at night, but should an emergency strikes or something comes up at the house that the homeowner needs help with, i get the feeling most people consider it fair game to wake up the domestic help to assist even at ungodly hours...
    "There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want."
    -Bill Watterson

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Shinta View Post
    I just wonder how much per cent of the population in Indonesia has contracts?, do the workers working in a small shop, warung, doing handicrafts and small business has contracts???

Sorry, what is UMR?
    Good point, im sure most low payed workers like in sawah or construction etc wouldn't be on contracts
    I
    where ever i am in Indo, i always go for a walk and sit down and talk with everyday locals more often poorish areas, I often talk to the young guys just finished on building sites etc, in Bali, Java, Sumatra , they always seem to get about RP 700,000 per month (about a year or two ago)

We also put my wifes sister through Uni, she was top of the class, finished Uni, then went to get jobs in places like bank and offices, every job she went for seemed dodgy for example in Banks always want a base wage that is real low then a % on what customers you sign up for things (this was a few years ago and in central java)

I couldn't beleive how hard it was for her to get a good job where she would get more than a juta a month, seeing she went to a good uni and got such good results, seemed pointless putting her through uni.

Luckily she married a guy who father is high up in a electricity provider, so now she has a good job and good money.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12