Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BAD ISP and Customer Servicing

Guys, Biznet will be launching their Max3 on 01 FEB 2012. I believe the package can at least give some good competition to Fastnet and Speedy.

I am still finding out more detail.

Anyone have more information about it?

I've received some emails from them about coming to neighborhood area. Unfortunately not close enough ATM. I wouldn't exactly call them competition: BizNet is FO, FirstMedia - Cable, Telkom - ADSL. I would definitely give them a try, if they were in my area.
    Spread the happiness!

Cakupan Area / Coverage Area

Daerah di Jakarta yang telah tersedia sampai dengan 4 Januari 2012 antara lain:
    Areas in Jakarta that have been served up to 4 January 2012 are the followings:

Bendungan Hilir (10210)
    Grogol Utara (12210)
    Menteng (10310)
    Pluit (14450)
    Apartemen Atap Merah
    Apartemen Jakarta Thamrin Residences

Kami terus mengembangkan cakupan area, untuk informasi terkini silahkan mengunjungi www.mymax3.net.
    We are actively increasing our coverage area, for up to date information please visit www.mymax3.net
    Sergei - Your friendly neighborhood IT consultant.

Dear Owl, fyi in Indonesia the ISP industry is losing money. ISPs cannot purchase Intl bandwidth directly. The Indonesian Telecommunication Regulation UU No 36, ICT Ministrial Decree No 21, Government Act no 57 have clearly divided the Telecommunication licensing into the Infrastructure / Network Provider and the Service Provider. These regulations enforcing the ISPs as service providers to buy bandwidth only from the network providers. The cost for Intl bandwidth is relatively inexpensive as compared to the last mile or local loop. These ISPs are facing a major difficulty in obtaining fiber optic from those network providers like Telcom, Indosat, Icon+ because the network providers also own the ISP licenses. Thus the availability for obtaining the connection is quite challenging. There are 280 ISPs in Indonesia, but only a handful that are in operation. Very good ISPs that are focusing in providing quality service normally do not go into retail. They serve buildings management, commercial industry, real estate area because they see the value of building and investing on private network and are able to run the business without relying on the network providers.
    In regard to voicing out your grievances you can write an email to The Chairman of The ISP Association at [email protected]. Ask him to make recommendation of ISPs servicing you area. oh by the way I have been using DNET for almost 16 years. Unfortunately DNET only serves limited areas. ...

Certified Troll

Quote Originally Posted by beemer View Post
    Dear Owl, fyi in Indonesia the ISP industry is losing money. ISPs cannot purchase Intl bandwidth directly. The Indonesian Telecommunication Regulation UU No 36, ICT Ministrial Decree No 21, Government Act no 57 have clearly divided the Telecommunication licensing into the Infrastructure / Network Provider and the Service Provider. These regulations enforcing the ISPs as service providers to buy bandwidth only from the network providers. The cost for Intl bandwidth is relatively inexpensive as compared to the last mile or local loop. These ISPs are facing a major difficulty in obtaining fiber optic from those network providers like Telcom, Indosat, Icon+ because the network providers also own the ISP licenses. Thus the availability for obtaining the connection is quite challenging. There are 280 ISPs in Indonesia, but only a handful that are in operation. Very good ISPs that are focusing in providing quality service normally do not go into retail. They serve buildings management, commercial industry, real estate area because they see the value of building and investing on private network and are able to run the business without relying on the network providers.
    In regard to voicing out your grievances you can write an email to The Chairman of The ISP Association at [email protected]. Ask him to make recommendation of ISPs servicing you area. oh by the way I have been using DNET for almost 16 years. Unfortunately DNET only serves limited areas. ...
    Yes I agree to this... I've always got full speed (2Mbps) from Speedy Connection in my apartment... They have a dedicated FO node specially for our building in the basement... From Jan 12 - Apr 12 we're paying a special promo price of only Rp.450'000,- per month for a 2Mbps connection here...

My two cents:

Have a 3 Mb/s connection from First Media (FastNet) for 335k/month, and here's my feedback after one and a half months.

The connection itself is pretty much exactly as quick as advertised and gives me precisely 3 MB/s. So when I download stuff I get a download rate of between 290 kb/s and 320 kb/s. There have been exactly two days on which the internet connection was down due to a ripped cable - storm season and overground cables, I guess those problems literally come with the territory. Since I am hearing the same story over and over again in these forums, let me provide some advice:

When I asked my landlord if First Media was available in my apartment (located in an apartment complex) the answer was "No, sorry, only Speedy Telkom." Do NOT worry about this and ask First Media directly.Now, it is true that First Media does not reach all areas, but their net is expanding steadily and a negative answer that was true three months ago might not be up-to-date anymore. In my case, it turned out that all they needed to do was put in some 80 m of cable and voilá, I had First Media instead of overpriced Telkom "Slowly". Of those 80 meters of cable, the first 30 meters were free, the rest cost me 10k/meter, totaling 500k. Well worth spending $50 USD one time on some cables if in return I can get 3 MB/s for 335k instead of paying 250k for 0,385 MB/s. Ten times faster, only 80k IDR more expensive per month.

I have not reply to this forum for almost 3 months now. In the pass 2 months, I have given FirstMedia a chance to voice out, and improve on their quality of service. To be fair, they did some upgrading in my area which is the Northern Jakarta. The speed does increase in my area. However, even with their so called upgrade, they lack the initiative and response to the following problem.

1) For the pass 5 Weeks after their upgrade, their continuously have Major disconnection. I counted those disconnection. 6 out of 12 disconnection lasted more than 12 hours, with the last disconnection being from 06/04/2012,7pm to 07/04/2012 3pm. 4 out of 12 lasted 3-8 hours. and 2 out of 12 lasted less than 1 hours.

2) During the disconnection, their customer hotline did not serve well to us customer who called in. In fact if anyone of you who tried to called their hotline will be disconnected once upon getting through the PBX recording.

3) The speed does shows some improvement. I mostly get 1.8-2Mbps out of my 3Mbps service 20-30% of the time. 30-50% of the time I experience 1.2-1.5Mbps.

The last one week was the worse, I expereince 500-800kbps 30-40% of the time. While the remianing 60-70% of the time I experience less than 200kbps.

4) I don't know how many of our expatrate serve Chinese website or have link to China. If you do surf towards China link, browsing, streaming, IM conferencing, download, etc. you will find that the speed is extremely slow. Many Years ago, surfing to China link seems to expereince slow speed connection. However since 2008 pre-Olympic, the Chinese Government already push China's Telco to upgrade and expand the gateway towards International link.

By 2010, The China's link expand greatly so much so that if your surf FROM China to other country, its about 1Mbps out of their 4Mbps service. Of course, we are saying from their First Tier City, Beijing or Shanghai.

I also personally surf FROM Singapore, Hong Kong, Malaysia towards China link. I find no difficulty of any blockage for Browsing, Streaming, or downloading.

However, I face blockage or slow connection towards China link using First Media.

In comparison, I did test surfing using Speedy and Indosat. And to my surprise both Speedy and Indosat does not face such problem. The only set back is that, Speedy speed is unstable, showing inconsistance up and down from time to time. While Indosat IM2, I experience ocasional cut-off and require re-connection perhaps this is due to their Mobile area traffic, or other reason.

Through this series of test, I can be very fully sure that First Media is controling or meddling in limiting customer's usage.

I do not know what is their reason behind such action. Because until today, their management have not reply to my querries. To the very close reply only comes from their customer service staffs, or technical supports who when I asked them about it, have no idea, or reply that the questions asked is beyond their responsibility and power.

Again, I do not know how many expatrieate friend do surf to China's link or sites. If you do surf daily like me, please share your experience.

I do not purpose myself offensively on the connection towards First Media, like some of the forum reader who read and post here. I find it laughable. But I do wish to ask for those who post to show no partiality to state yur honest opinion. This is not a greivance voice that you thought you have listen. This is just voicing out the Honest Truth and Fact.

I Thank you for reading this. So feel free to voice out.

Banned

For thoses having disconnection problem with first media. Try take out connection cables and clean inside cables something like a sand paper. Both inside and outside the house. It worked in my friend's house

I thought you were going to switch from First Media. Why are you still giving them money if they suck so bad?
    Sergei - Your friendly neighborhood IT consultant.

Sergei, can't you read?? I gave them chance. But seemingly they still cannot maintain a good connection.

Incidentally, if you do not have better advice, don't bother to reply. I know you are pro Firstmedia. Probably working for them aren't you?

Please allow others who genuinely share the same problem, and those who genuinely wish to help to share their bit to solve the problem.

Again, don't bother to reply if you don't intend to help. I thank you in advance.

Every company worth its salt will always have its proponent and opponent. Just because First Media doesn't work well in your area doesn't mean there aren't people who gets good service from them.

I used to complain about everything that's not up to my expectations:
    - Telkomsel post paid card: sometimes I can't make calls and the signal drops at Jagorawi toll road
    - Restaurants all over Indonesia from warungs to high end restaurants: service and food sucks in a lot of places. I've stood by the door after entering without anyone greeting me, or I've sat down without a menu or being served
    - Speedy: not so much
    - Telkomsel Flash and Smart modems: doesn't work everywhere around Jakarta/Bogor area

Plenty to complain about. Thank you for your report of your experiences, but I think you're not being too fair. It's almost like an M$ fanboy making fun of Apple products and vice versa. There are things to like and enjoy about M$ and Apple, what works for some, might not work for others. That's what I got from your posts about your ordeal. I think Sergei was just trying to even out your harsh comments.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast