Page 1 of 22 12345678910 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 4x4 TDI Toyota Hilux in Indonesia

Mauricio

Default 4x4 TDI Toyota Hilux in Indonesia

Toyota has recently introduced in Indonesia its venerable Hilux pick-up truck in 4x4 and diesel engine. The Hilux is marketed as the toughest mass produced vehicle money can buy, and its reputation among the expedition, off-road crowd is legendary. Now I know where my money would go if I had Rp$280million to burn...

suspended member

My problem with pickups in Jakarta is that rule about not taking them out on Sudirman.....

Mauricio

I used to have the same concern with my present Navara, but the cops don't seem the know/care about that rule. Also, now that the truck has a canopy and I've removed the commercial vehicle tags, there's no problem going on Sudirman/Thamrin.

But really, a Hilux or Navara is not meant for the likes of Sudirman. They are meant for this type of terrain:

The real problem with trucks like these in Jakarta is their length. At 5.25 meters, they are not the most versatile for squeezing through traffic, especially in those streets that were built for horse-carts, rather than for motor vehicles. On the other hand, most all other passenger vehicles get out of your way due to their heft.

On reliability, my Navara completed a 6,600km to NTT and back with not even a flat tire during the whole trip. Likewise for a prior jaunt to Bengkulu and back.

Here's a link to a segment of the British TV show Top Gear whose purpose was to see how tough a Hilux really is. One test was to leave the Hilux submerged in the ocean overnight. After a little tweaking and drying, the rig started up as usual.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrk6vsb77xk
    Last edited by Mauricio; 03-02-09 at 16:06.

Sounds like the right vehicle for Jakarta, if it runs after a night under water.

Default Just a little side note....

Quote Originally Posted by Mauricio View Post
    Toyota has recently introduced in Indonesia its venerable Hilux pick-up truck in 4x4 and diesel engine. The Hilux is marketed as the toughest mass produced vehicle money can buy, and its reputation among the expedition, off-road crowd is legendary. Now I know where my money would go if I had Rp$280million to burn...

I actually own one of these vehicles in Kuala Lumpur the (2.5 HD) but I must tell you this...though its tall in stature, and impressive in looks...its significantly underpowered in comparison to the smaller vehicles that are available there...Isuzu D-Max, Nissan Utarra, Ssang Yyong Actyon (most power and torque all p/u) Mitsu BL 1000 and Ford Ranger.

The Actyon offers more power and torque, but if you're 6ft+ as with any of the "Asian Marketed" p/u's mentioned above, its a bit of a challenge to get comfortable on a jaunt of say...300-400km continuous driving. Just no ample leg room for any of these vehicles. Therefore, a guy in my position, its fairly obvious that 2dr's are out of the question...you will definitely need the 4dr to increase tour driving comfortability unless you are a 90 degree angle type driver, which I and the majority of the "male" population is not.

Drawbacks, the center console leaves alot to be desired. Aesthectically, it lacks the appeal of the Nissan or Actyon (these two offer the best consoles with the push button/digital format) followed by Isuzu and Ford with Toyota in last place. I'm not to fond of the lever/knob deals...but who buys the Toyota for its console? Most buyers are just about the brute size and tow capacity although the trend of aftermarket goodies is becoming more popular.

In Toyota's favor, it still offers the highest ground clearance, offers the most headroom/legroom, biggest payload and highest resale value, I paid just a little over 100k MYR with an exchage rate of 3.2 at the time...it cost me a little of 30k USD (you think the guys at Toyota know this?) I think the fact that its easily serviced anywhere and has the reputation of longevity, is the ultimate appeal; hence its the best buy.
    “Nearly all the best things that came to me in life have been unexpected, unplanned by me.”

Nissan still the best SUV ... my Terrano Kingsroad had no problem at all during my adventure Denpasar - Medan and Back last April 2008 ... eat the thousands km in 4 days and 3 nights ... it was after all of the earthquakes along Sumatera ... all cars (even the Ford Ranger) were queing for a crane help provided by the local government near Sibolga to lift cars and busses up from the 25m deep dropped road ... but i'm proud with my 6 YEARS OLD Terrano, he has no fear to climb up to the top !!! bravo Nissan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mauricio

Quote Originally Posted by b33j915 View Post
    I actually own one of these vehicles in Kuala Lumpur the (2.5 HD) but I must tell you this...though its tall in stature, and impressive in looks...its significantly underpowered in comparison to the smaller vehicles that are available there...
    The model introduced in Indonesia is the turbocharged, intercooled, common-rail 3.0L diesel engine with 343NM at 1,400rpm

Sorry, in this segment the top tier is Toyota (Hilux, Tacoma in the U.S.), Mitsubishi (Triton) and Nissan (Navara Frontier). Ford plays second fiddle even on its home turf in the U.S. Mazda is ok, but it is an older design. All other brands are third fiddle.

Tobaman, a Terrano is indeed a SUV. A Hilux and a Navara are not SUVs, but rather, despite the refinements available now, off-road work vehicles.
    Last edited by Mauricio; 04-02-09 at 01:14.

mercime

No point asking you guys what your carbon footprint is! )

Saw a Hummer H2 on display at Pondok Indah mall on Sunday. How does that compare?

Also read that they are almost given away in N, America as no-one wants them anymore.

I sold my '94 Cadillac Deville Concours for CDN $3,500 just before coming here in December....very sad!

Carless David

Mauricio

Quote Originally Posted by mercime View Post
    No point asking you guys what your carbon footprint is! )
    Diesel engines, in general, have lower carbon emmissions but higher particulate emissions than petrol/gasoline engines. Diesel engines are also more fuel efficient that petrol/gasoline engines given that i.) the compression engine is inherently more efficient than the ignition engine, and ii.) diesel has a higher energy density that petrol. My truck gets 24mpg or 11km/liter which is comparable to passenger vehicles. Finally, I only drive it on the weekends.

Page 1 of 22 12345678910 11 ... LastLast