Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts and questions about indonesian education

Default Thoughts and questions about indonesian education

hello there,

Iíd like to share some thoughts about ďgoodĒ schools in jakarta and surroundings and ask some questions

After doing some internet research I find weird things prices in euros)
    The prices are from 4000 to more than 15000, what is really the difference of quality for such amount of money?
    The most expensive school in Barcelona is more or less 12000 but the cost of living here are more expensive than in Indonesia (price of land, salaries, power, taxes, etc) is the high prices just a sing of the Indonesian show off attraction?
    Some of them even donít answer e-mails asking for information, I can understand they could have the policy to only give information in person as some schools have told me by mail but others havenít even answer me, I think itís a lack of professionalism.
    Some of these ďauto call ď international, trilingual and blahblah even donít have updated the information regarding the current course, their web pages can be done by anyone with frontpage and some of the features don't work.
    Many of the schools are very religion oriented and despite the country is mostly muslim almost all the schools are Christians, that mean the "elite" will be christians and the muslims workers but remember the government will be voted by the majority.
    Iím looking for a school to my girl (11 years old) not interested in religion education, no important the location because Iíll have to rent a house or something to live near the school.
    Here the questions:
    What is the importance of the curriculum? PYP, IB, Cambridge, National plus (here in spain there arenít different curriculums) and in the future Iíd like sheíll be study in an Indonesian university.
    For me the most important thing right now is she could become bilingual (Indonesian and English) but sheíll need a school in witch most of the student will be English speakers and this is difficult to find through internet, any advice or recommendation?

also I'll approve to lost one year school in order to be able to develop the proper english skill (live with and english family), but where?

I could write the names of the schools Iíve checked but only for example Iíd like to mention Binus school (price less than 4000) it has good facilities, good reputation and well located and British International School (more than 15000) is it really worth it the difference if there isnít a company who pays for?
    Thanks to everyone and sorry for my English (I didnít have the opportunity of a good education)

I'm a little curious as to your nationality. I get the impression you're Indonesian, not Spanish, otherwise I can't see any reason why you'd want your kids to learn English and go to university HERE. Indonesian universities just aren't good enough to warrant that.

Also, why would you come HERE to have your kids learn English? Why not live in Europe where English is much more common than here?

I cannot speak of most of the schools in Jakarta other than what I mentioned in another thread here about Singapore School.

As to curriculum, I guess I need to ask you: Are you more interested in a traditional style of education that ignores personality, learning and skills differences between students, focuses on "core" skills in maths, language and science and neglects creativity and the development of social and emotional skills, or would you prefer a more progressive curriculum that tries to prepare students for the real world by placing much higher emphasis on developing leadership and entrepreneurial skills, EQ, creativity and other things along with the understanding of the normal subjects that are taught? What kind of curriculum do they use in Spain?

I'm sure lots of other people will comment for you, just be patient.

Glenn
    I'm not arrogant or a know-it-all - I'm over-eager to help & not very good at writing humbly. Verify my answers!

I am also curious about the identity of the OP whose simple grammatical mistakes suggest that he/she could be Indonesian but certainly not English. Forgive me if I am wrong but 'witch' instead of 'which' is a bit of a giveaway!

Schooling in Indonesia is problematic and expensive and best avoided. If there is a choice situation, best have the child educated outside of Indonesia. Yes, there are some International schools around Jakarta but the rest 'flatter to deceive' by purporting to be what they are not - an International school applying an International standard. The paradox is perhaps that Indonesia thinks (generally) that because everyone has a Blackberry and there are malls everywhere and skyscrapers all over the terrain that Indonesia is no longer a third world country.

Do not let your eyes deceive you! The problem in Indonesian schools is related to many issues but the fundamental problem is mentality and how Indonesians view the outside world. Every Bule (even a child bule) is perceived as rich and a money Bank. Schooling in Indonesia is laxadacal (correct spelling?) and underachieving at best and kids get moved on after school to glorified Kindergartens called EF, TBI, ILP otherwise called private educational institutions.

The curriculum is certainly questionable and leads to underachievement. No need to mention the 'F' word (if you remember the recent Uk horror movie about a Uk Comprehensive) and most Schools needs to take a good hard look at their set up. School fees are exhorbitent, there is no national concurrence on holidays for example and Indonesian teachers who endeavour to teach English should limit their teaching to the grammar only following on from their University training while leaving practical tutorage of the students to the Natives!

Finding the right school at the right price with the right curriculum and in the right area of town without extreme travel arrangements on a daily basis is a tall order in my opinion but good luck to the person concerned and let others come forward with School suggestions which meet the criteria. If one was given.

Default answers

I'm a little curious as to your nationality. I get the impression you're Indonesian, not Spanish, otherwise I can't see any reason why you'd want your kids to learn English and go to university HERE. Indonesian universities just aren't good enough to warrant that.

i was born in barcelona, my parents were spanish and my passport's spanish but i'd prefer to be simple "catalan". the girl i'm worried about her education is not my natural child and currently she lives with her grandparents in a small village in banten. the reason to study in indonesia is because all the problems the education there is much better than in spain (and i know it very well)

Also, why would you come HERE to have your kids learn English? Why not live in Europe where English is much more common than here?

by the way, have you been in spain? here nobody speaks english.

As to curriculum, I guess I need to ask you: Are you more interested in a traditional style of education that ignores personality, learning and skills differences between students, focuses on "core" skills in maths, language and science and neglects creativity and the development of social and emotional skills, or would you prefer a more progressive curriculum that tries to prepare students for the real world by placing much higher emphasis on developing leadership and entrepreneurial skills, EQ, creativity and other things along with the understanding of the normal subjects that are taught?

difficult question, i think i'm a little bit old fashion so i like the victorian style.

What kind of curriculum do they use in Spain?

the one that match the government point of view, every new government they change it. it's indoctrination not education

I am also curious about the identity of the OP whose simple grammatical mistakes suggest that he/she could be Indonesian but certainly not English.

maybe i've spent too much time in indonesia or my indo wife have washed my brain, hahaha

Forgive me if I am wrong but 'witch' instead of 'which' is a bit of a giveaway!

hahaha, google translator fault not mine.
    thankyou for your answers

mrcibubur: lackadaisical is, I think, the correct spelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Singkenken View Post
    i was born in barcelona, my parents were spanish and my passport's spanish but i'd prefer to be simple "catalan". the girl i'm worried about her education is not my natural child and currently she lives with her grandparents in a small village in banten. the reason to study in indonesia is because all the problems the education there is much better than in spain (and i know it very well)
    Okay, Catalan, and now I understand your choice. I can't say anything about Spain, so I will rely on your opinion of the educational system there. Given that the child is an Indonesian, it also makes sense (except for the fact that most educational institutes are not worth the money, although I have a more favorable opinion than mrcibubur).

by the way, have you been in spain? here nobody speaks english.
    I've never been, but I'd like to someday. I DID say EUROPE, not Spain in particular, because there are countries in Europe (such as the Netherlands) aside from the UK where the average TOEFL test results exceed those of students (presumably non-native speakers) from America. I'm not saying that their English is flawless, though!

difficult question, i think i'm a little bit old fashion so i like the victorian style.

A pity, really. You can go anywhere in the world to get that kind of education and Indonesia certainly doesn't have anywhere near the best examples of traditional education. If you have the choice, take the child to another country that has a better educational system, perhaps in Europe. I shudder at Victorian teaching but tis your choice, not mine.

the one that match the government point of view, every new government they change it. it's indoctrination not education

Then you may be disappointed to know that many schools here (even several of the international ones) also indoctrinate their students. I would strongly suggest that you avoid religious schools if you wish to stay away from indoctrination and consult on this and other forums (I'm not really familiar with forums that specialize in advising about schools in Indonesia, but maybe someone else knows) to get opinions about schools that can provide top-notch traditional education without indoctrination. I can certainly understand your dislike for an indoctrinating educational system that changes with the wind.

hahaha, google translator fault not mine.
    thankyou for your answers
    You get what you pay for. I hope that some members will come along who can inform you about schools that you can choose from. Choose wisely and take any advice with a grain of salt.

Glenn
    I'm not arrogant or a know-it-all - I'm over-eager to help & not very good at writing humbly. Verify my answers!

To help narrow down the suggestions where is your step daughter living? Also what is your price range for tuition and the registration fee?
    The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everyone else.

Default Budget

Quote Originally Posted by travellingchez View Post
    To help narrow down the suggestions where is your step daughter living? Also what is your price range for tuition and the registration fee?
    It's not important where she lives now, i'm thinking she'll need to move to some place near the school chossen, actualy i have a house in tangerang near lippo karawachi.Well, speaking of money i have to say that i need to add up the cost of the house or transportation (depends if she'll need to move to another house) and all the expenses of the school, i can afford 8 or 10 thousands euros but if it's less better.

Here are the list i know, further more u can find out to their website or call them directly :

Jakarta International School (JIS), www.jisedu.or.id
    British International School (BIS), www.bis.or.id
    The Gandhi Memorial International school, www.gandhijkt.org
    Singapore international school , www.sisschools.org
    Global international school , www.globaljaya.com
    Raffles international school, www.raffles-international.org
    Binus international school, http://serpong.binus-school.net
    I am good, but not an angel. I do sin, but I am not the devil.i'm just.. human

Thankyou vie - yu, My list has almost 30 names including the ones you write but after a small research i'm thinking only about these (but i'm still open to any advice): Sinarma world academy. Bukit sion Binus school

so u only focus on sinarmas world academy and Bukit Sion Binus schoold but Bukit sion school provides a solid Christian Based Education, and i remember u said before that you prefer non religion oriented school right ?
    I am good, but not an angel. I do sin, but I am not the devil.i'm just.. human

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast