Thread: Surat Izin Menikah issues

Default Surat Izin Menikah issues

I am planning to marry an Indonesian girl in the near future. We got a list of docs we need to prepare from a local guy(Kawi or something). We also got all the docs as per the list. The only doc remaining is the surat izin menikah.
    I contacted the Indian embassy for that. It seems to get that I need my passport and some letter from a notary pubric in India. What is that letter exactly? How do I obtain that document without personally going to India or something? Help please

On another note do I absolutely need to convert to Islam in order to marry her legally? She is Muslim of course. I have no problems with that but don't want to if it's not absolutely necessary.

Banned

Notary pubic?

Contact your embassy. They may be able to issue the letter of no-impediment-to-marry.

Quote Originally Posted by divineelite View Post
    (1)...We got a list of docs we need to prepare from a local guy(Kawi or something)...

(2) The only doc remaining is the surat izin menikah.
    I contacted the Indian embassy for that. It seems to get that I need my passport and some letter from a notary pubric in India. What is that letter exactly? How do I obtain that document without personally going to India or something? ...

(3) On another note do I absolutely need to convert to Islam in order to marry her legally? She is Muslim of course. I have no problems with that but don't want to if it's not absolutely necessary.
    (1) I would suggest you to get the list of the required documents directly from the office where you will marry (a KUA office for Muslim , or Catatan Sipil for other religions) , because each office may have a different list .

(2) My Embassy just told me that they could not issue any document about my civil status . So I brought , from my country , a notarized document in which I stated I was single . But each country may have a different type of document which is used for marriage .
    In case you have difficult in going to your country , I suggest you to talk to the officer at your marriage office and ask for alternatives . I think I saw somewhere that a foreigner made this kind of document in an Indonesian notary office , with 2 witnesses from his/her country . Or , in my country I had the option to get , from Indonesia , by post , a birth certificate where my civil status is registered/stated .

(3) You do that or she converts to your religion . To marry in Indonesia both of you must have the same religion .
    Last edited by marcus; 24-03-12 at 17:14.

We have temporarily got married the nikah siri way. I guess we will inquire about the document at the Indian embassy first, then think about alternatives. Thanks for the other alternatives though. I will update this post after I visit the consulate.

Don't forget to get a pre-nup

Ray
    When my wife wants my opinion, she gives it to me

Finally got the Surat Izin Menikah from the Indian embassy in Kuningan. Woot!!! Changing from an angkot to trans bus to metromini, then busway to trans bus to angkot again for coming back, for 2 straight days, was harrowing & very exhausting but definitely worth the effort .

Basically:
    1) Go to the embassy in the morning. I think document submission is only allowed in the morning,and document receiving in the afternoon, but not sure about this. Go in the morning to be on the safer side.
    2) The exceptionally friendly security will check you, your bags & give a number tag. You are not allowed to take the bags,mobile inside. So make sure you remove all the documents you will need before going inside. They will also mention not to keep any money you have in the bags. If you tell the lady inside the embassy that a particular document she asked for is in the bag outside she will raise hell. So better to take additional documents you may think necessary as well along with you.
    3) Once inside you take a paper with a number on it from the box inside & wait for your turn.
    4) When your turn arrives, ask for the No Objection to Marriage Certificate. submit the documents. The lady there doesn't know any bahasa Indonesia. So make sure not to use words like Surat Izin Menikah in her presence!

The documents she will typically ask for are as follows:
    i) Passport (original)
    ii) KITAS photocopy(if not available, then passport photocopy will also do)
    iii) SKTT phtoocopy
    iv) The affidavit from a lawyer in English mentioning that you are single & that the parents agree to the marriage.
    v) A copy of any government document which mentions Fiance's currently unmarried status.
    vi) A form needs to be filled with basic information like Name,Address in India,Address in Indonesia,Birth Date,Passport Details(date/place of issue, etc.),Fiance's name (pretty straighforward :P)

5) If she is happy with all the documents she will tell you to wait.
    6) Once you are called back, you need to pay them 253000 in cash. You will be given a receipt & told to come the next day afternoon.
    7) Don't forget to bring the receipt with you the next day. Once you show the receipt, you will be given the No Objection Certificate.
    8) Voila!! There you have it.

Additional Notes:
    1) If you call the embassy asking for the required documents, they may ask you to bring a document from Orang Tua from your fiance which needs to be in English as well. But the lady at the embassy didn't ask for any such document. So it's basically not necessary for the SUrat Izin Menikah.

PM me if you need any help regarding the above steps.
    Last edited by divineelite; 21-03-12 at 14:33. Reason: Messed up the numbering!

I've been doing a lot of reading about similar issues. I'm very glad I will take care of all of these items before I go…THanks to this forum

Glad to be of help