Thread: Motorbikes for rent in Jakarta?

Question Motorbikes for rent in Jakarta?

Hello
    were two people from Germany and want to visit Indonasia in oktober for three weeks. So we want to travel arround Sumatra by motorbikes. Our arrivel and destination airport is Jakarta so we need a place to rent two motorbikes there. Do sombody know such a place? Or maybe sombody want to rent his own motorbike? Interesting are dirt-bikes or minimum 125cc normal bikes from Honda or Suzuki or something else. We dont like vespas ...!
    If there is sombody who can help us please send me an sign! Ive tried so many things to get some informations about motobikerentals in Jakarta and never got an answer...
    Many greetings from Germany
    Anja and Nick

Ok, I'm not trying to put you off your adventure but from experiance (I drive to North Sumatra twice or more a year) no matter how experianced a driver you are it is still a challenge to drive in Indonesia especially by motorbike. If you still plan on this then just a few hints, from Jakarta you will have to go to Merak to take the ferry to Sumatra the fastest route is to takeLetnan Jenderal S. Parman toll road (about 1 1/2 hours) which motorbikes are not allowed on so you will have to leave Jakarta via Jl. Daan Mogot which myself and others on the forum can tell you that this paticular road is not for the faint of heart and from there the adventure starts it will take 3 to 4 hours to get to Merak from Jakarta on motorbikes. Once you get off the ferry in Sumatra you travel to Bandar Lampung and from there you have 2 choices of routes the coastal or inland roads. My suggestion would be to travel during the day and good weather only as night travel presents a new set of hazards. As far as motorbike rentals, I never have done that but i found a list you could try here http://jakarta.urbanesia.com/search?...orcycle Rental

Just be aware that the indonesian word for rent and lease are the same. I couldn't find a monthly rental anywhere except a minimum of 1 year and it is a lease to own

Red face Thank you for your signs!

Hello again,
    and thanks for your answers! We are definitely aware that driving in Jakarta and Sumatra is very different to Europe. We were in India and Sri Lanka and where driven motorcycle in both countries. Therefore, we know that riding a motorbike can be the same as playing an action video game. At 60 km / h, we felt as if we break the sound barrier. In India we had no helmets and no equipment. Several problems also made the buses on the much too narrow roads. From the road conditions even to mention ... But we never had to be in such a huge city like Jakarta and I think also that we have the most difficulty there. Indonesia is also determined in left-hand traffic or am I wrong here?
    On the Jenderal S. Parman toll road are they allowed motorcycles from a certain cc is it prohibited for each motorbikes?
    We will take the coast road north and on the way back I think the country away. I wrote yesterday Wahana first and hope that they will answer me. If the answer does not come I will send a broadcast message to the other addresses of the urbanesia page.
    If anyone still have more ideas that can help us I'd be happy to hear that.
    Greetings
    Anja

On the Jenderal S. Parman toll road are they allowed motorcycles from a certain cc is it prohibited for each motorbikes?
    Motorbikes are not allowed at all on any toll roads in Jakarta.

Indonesia is also determined in left-hand traffic or am I wrong here?
    Yes, left hand driving in Indonesia.

We will take the coast road north and on the way back I think the country away.
    I haven't driven the coastal route in over a year so not up to date on the road conditions. On the way back the roads are in bad shape until you pass Palembang. Also try to stay off the roads in Palembang or that area at night as road bandits are a nusance in the area, although thet tend to target commercial trucks often than not which is why you will see them travel in groups of 3 or more at night.

Hi Anja,

My bf is a German and he drove motorbike from bali to sumba. Never done Java -Sumatra but he took the journey overland. I guess he'll be happy to share his experience. You can write me to [email protected] to have his email, or visit his blog forourmates.blogspot.com. Also, As he's coming in Sept, i have motorbike that you can rent if you want as i won't use it because i will travel with him. We can talk further once you interested with my offer.

Greetings
    Unique