Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why is status so important to so many people?

Cool Why is status so important to so many people?

is it because they are so insecure and judgemental that such trivia makes them feel loved?
    News flash!!!
    It does not make you any more or less loved - it just announces to the world where your priorities are, not always the wisest thing to do.
    Nakal but nice
    My opinions are permitted to change at any point- and will do so, frequently!

sadly, it's all about keeping up appearances.

In terms of this forum. I have to admit, when my green dots first went up to five, then nine, I had a warm fuzzy feeling.
    And I reckon if I logged in one day and saw I'd been given a bunch'o'reds, I'd probably be upset.
    Beyond that, I must agree, I never checked my status.

In the real world..... that's another - long and very painful - story!

Quote Originally Posted by bad_azz View Post
    News flash!!!
    It does not make you any more or less loved - it just announces to the world where your priorities are, not always the wisest thing to do.
    Thanks for the heads-up.
    Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.

Are you talking about status in society bad-azz?

I was pondering this the other day when I saw an outdoor banner in Jakarta, for the Kopi Luwak chain of coffee shops. Its slogan was "Kopi Luwak, the World's Most Expensive Coffee." I thought this was funny because if they used this slogan in Australia, it would turn all the customers off (Australians are cheap bastards), we all want to buy cheap coffee..well, cheap but good coffee.
    Here, however, it seems it's a different story....

Status ? what ? where ?...Indonesia ? you should've see our wedding ceremony....Even the poor would block half of the road and look rich,statuswise, even for a day....
    " Lemme get this straight. Killing one person is a murder, but killing a hundred thousand is a foreign policy ?"

Status update, like that of Facebook, Tweeter or Blackberry?? I guess so people have the latest "status update" of what/where/when??
    Wana come over to Myspace and you can Twitter my Yahoo while I Google your Facebook?

Quote Originally Posted by Tokek View Post
    sadly, it's all about keeping up appearances.
    Sigh - yes... but why??? Is there a logical and ethical point to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
    In terms of this forum. I have to admit, when my green dots first went up to five, then nine, I had a warm fuzzy feeling.
    And I reckon if I logged in one day and saw I'd been given a bunch'o'reds, I'd probably be upset.
    Beyond that, I must agree, I never checked my status.

In the real world..... that's another - long and very painful - story!
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly888 View Post
    Are you talking about status in society bad-azz?

I was pondering this the other day when I saw an outdoor banner in Jakarta, for the Kopi Luwak chain of coffee shops. Its slogan was "Kopi Luwak, the World's Most Expensive Coffee." I thought this was funny because if they used this slogan in Australia, it would turn all the customers off (Australians are cheap bastards), we all want to buy cheap coffee..well, cheap but good coffee.
    Here, however, it seems it's a different story....
    Well, Matt & Kelly... I was in the real world ... and the forum is a reflection of the real world (or it actually is a part of the real world...hmm ... it does exist after all).

There is so much set in store by appearance ... especially by the young and the insecure (and the ignorant?)

- I have here a 16 year old that will not walk out of the door unless she looks just right.
    I have a neighbour who thinks I am insane to move my bad_azz offto a "MUSLIM" country and frequently tells me so (LOUDLY).
    I have a father who changes his car more often than he changes his underwear (ok I accept that is a slight exaggeration).
    On the flip side of this I have an amazing friend who has faced many life threatening situations including the removal of 5 different brain tumours on separate occasions and continues to have to deal with health issues.. he takes life in his stride - he is more grounded than anyone I ever met and is extremely clever and witty. He has been left totally deaf, sight speech impaired and has lost the sensation in many nerves in his face. He is now 22years old.

Quote Originally Posted by lantern View Post
    Thanks for the heads-up.
    You are most welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
    Status ? what ? where ?...Indonesia ? you should've see our wedding ceremony....Even the poor would block half of the road and look rich,statuswise, even for a day....
    Nah surely not in Indonesia Kratos???!!! Really?? lol... who would have thought it??
    Nakal but nice

I think status in Indonesia is what they call a "gengsi" thing here. Indonesian's in general, thrive on being respected. Weather it is by a rank, title at work or how much money they have, what they wear, what they drive and even down to the mobile phone they use... it all ends up with expecting respect for their "status".

The unique thing about about Western countries... nobody cares about titles at work or on business cards, they typically tend to stay "low key" about what they have and who they are....

Could we throw this back and say it's a "cultural thing"?? It's not only in Indonesia, but even in other countries like Thailand, Vietnam and the likes.
    Wana come over to Myspace and you can Twitter my Yahoo while I Google your Facebook?

Quote Originally Posted by tjamail View Post
    Status update, like that of Facebook, Tweeter or Blackberry?? I guess so people have the latest "status update" of what/where/when??
    True TJ... I have seen status updates from the kids and wow nothing is sacred anymore, one of the teens used to update her status if she took a pee... <rolls eyes>

I have visions of her profile page reading thus >
    08-00 wide awake * hello all my facebook/tweeters/blackerries/msn/fanbase... I love you all
    08-01 ooh i just yawned.
    08-02 oh wow - y is no1 talking 2 me?
    08-03 i love you all pls some1 read me and click like if u
    1 luv me
    2 want to marry me <3
    3 h8 me
    4 etc....
    08-04 brb need to pee
    08-04 just had a pee
    08-05 brb need to shower leave a message below
    08-05 ooooh Justin Timbiberlake is sooo hot i am gonna get the latest hot outfit and make up and the he will know it is me that he lurves truly....

and on and on and on......
    ^^^^
    sorry about that - I just had one of my over 40s moments
    Nakal but nice

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast