Thread: New in Jogja

Default New in Jogja

My wife, daughter and I haved moved to Jogja and looking for good restaurants, fitness center, playgroup, basketball league, family friendly places to go, touristy places, and expat friends. We have enjoyed living in Jogja for a couple of months before finding this forum, so we've discovered some of places on our own. Now that the craziness of Merapi is slowing down, we're looking to settle in. Glad to have found this forum!Ne

Certified Troll

Hi and welcome.
    Jogja is an interesting city. Not too anything but enough of everything.
    Try the street food stalls at the top of Maliaboro. Pretty good food at some of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie2indo View Post
    My wife, daughter and I haved moved to Jogja and looking for good restaurants, fitness center, playgroup, basketball league, family friendly places to go, touristy places, and expat friends. We have enjoyed living in Jogja for a couple of months before finding this forum, so we've discovered some of places on our own. Now that the craziness of Merapi is slowing down, we're looking to settle in. Glad to have found this forum!Ne
    There are so many good restaurants in Yogya, depending on what you like:
    - Milas (vegetarian resto, in prawirotaman area, there some other restaurant such as via-via and ministry of coffee nearby)
    - Nanamia (good pizza and pasta....in Gejayan area, near Jogja Plaza Hotel....opens on lunch time and usually closed before 8pm......so famous that they often closed before 9pm)
    - Food fest in Jl. Kaliurang
    - Parsley bakery and cafe (there are several locatin, the one in Jl. Adisucipto is more into chinese dim sum, the one in Jl. Kaliurang is more on western food)
    - Dani's (in Jl. Palagan.....after Hyatt hotel)

As for playgroup, there is Olifant (which is quite famous among expat or mixed couple) near Puri Artha Hotel in Gejayan area
    Waterboom like for kids (Kids fun and Balong waterpark....very cheap compared to Jakarta price), try also taman pintar (family friendly place to go)
    Not sure for fitness center, there is one in North Ringroad near the famous "happy puppy" family Karaoke
    Not sure about basketball league
    Touristy places are a lot: Sultan Palace, Taman sari (water palace), some temples are in central Java provinces, but so easy to get there, Ramayana Ballet, etc.

PM me if you want more details
    Lived there and love it so much

Hi, I would like to contribute,
    Already a regular visitor of Yogya, and recently moved to here.

One nice suggestion for food is K'meals. Previously owned by a French man. Make sure to try the melted chocolate
    Coffee places are hard to find in Yogya. But recently found a spot, forgot the name, housed in the Dixie's / Warung Pasta building. Jala Gejayan.

In the previous post I think Dani's shouel be Hani's. Partially owned by a Belgian guy. Now has a place in jl. Prawirotaman and jl Pelagan, as posted.

Any more suggestions ?

I always love the pizza in K'meals. Previously owned by French man? I thought the owner still the Frenchie..
    Imagine, it's POSSIBLE. Dream boundless...

Recently something changed in the situation between the official owner and the Frenchman. I don't know details and don't want to give wrong info. But as far as I know now the GF/wife now owns and runs the place alone.

How's the food? Is it still the same?

No worries. The menu is still good.
    They added a few Indonesian dishes to the menu since. But most of the rest is not changed. Only now a days more and more Indonesians go there, and less bule.

I see. Last time I went there it's full with bule.