Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surat Jalan

Default Surat Jalan

I'm planning on driving from Java over to Bali in my own car. Someone suggested to my wife that I should get a Surat Jalan from my local police to take with me. Anyone know whether you can do without it and what it's actually for? Thanks.

This can be a complicated thing since you are going for leisure and not business, right? Usually Surat Jalan or also known as SKLJ is usually good for only 3 months and is used for people who are traveling to certain regions of the country for certain purposes (usually business/technical). In my 26 years of traveling across the archipelago, I have never had to show it to any authority, although it is usually the up to the Human Resource department of companies to obtain it for their employees.

IMHO, it is another money making opportunity, since a valid passport and visa/KITAS should suffice during travels in country. Sometimes I think it is just extra lunch money for the HR manager to take care of, such since large companies are paying for it.

Again, don't take my word as I am just giving you an example from experience.
    Last edited by tjamail; 01-02-11 at 22:01.
    Wana come over to Myspace and you can Twitter my Yahoo while I Google your Facebook?

What da smug:LOL....

The police is trying to take money from you, Bro....if you have SIM, then proceed with your plan, if you dont, ask one who has it to go with you....
    Road tripping with no license could get you in trouble
    " Lemme get this straight. Killing one person is a murder, but killing a hundred thousand is a foreign policy ?"

Yeah, I forgot the SIM part too...

If you don't have a local SIM, just show them a valid license from your country/state and tell them that you just arrived. You can use an outside license for up to 30 days when entering the country.
    Wana come over to Myspace and you can Twitter my Yahoo while I Google your Facebook?

Banned

What the hell for? Forget the surat jalan. Tell those who suggested the surat jalan that the New Order is no longer.

The only time I got a surat jalan was when putting the truck on a ferry between Flores and Sumba. The surat jalan was for the truck, not its passangers. No one asked for it in Sumba. In fact, I don't recall seeing a single police officer in the entire island.

Banned

What route are you going to take? First time doing it? I've now done it six times so let me know if you need some route tips...

interesting, this is the first time I see hombre said, What the hell....

Use SIM, or ask someone who has 1, showing your country's driving license is a risky move...unless you're a good debater or having a strong connection....
    " Lemme get this straight. Killing one person is a murder, but killing a hundred thousand is a foreign policy ?"

Well fellas, that was very quick and very clear - thanks.

Hombre has a point... Surat Jalan is usually for those who are transporting goods/equipment in a truck usually.

If you have a KITAS, you surely have an SKLD (Surat Keterangan Lapor Diri) card also... that too is also sufficient.

Ouch, more posts as I posted! A very interesting topic the Surat Jalan.
    Hombre - I'm in Malang so nearly there already. Was thinking of going via Lumerjang and Jember to Banyiwangi and then the south coast road to Kuta. Did it once on the overnight bus (which was actually very comfortable) and took the north coast route - but I think that's quite a bit further.
    Kratos - I've got a valid UK licence and valid international. Was planning to stick with them rather than going to the bother of getting a local SIM. Drove in Bali and Lombok before - was stopped by the police in Bali and they had no problem with that - maybe I just got lucky with a nice policeman. Don't read that last bit in isolation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast