Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Permanent residence visa - KITAP

Cool Permanent residence visa - KITAP

There are as usual with the law making in Indonesia nothing clear, so I have several different sides of this law, now are there any who actual knows how long one has to been residence or if goes by employment then how long.
    Tks

if i translate this rite: you are wondering if anyone know how long a person need to stay in indonesia or how long you need to stay employed (?) before getting a permanent residency visa? is this what you mean to ask?
    because i still dont understand the question

check out the threads in laws and visa section in this forum, you may find your answer there, if not, find a guy named atlantis, he should be able to answer all your question
    .: love is in the air :.

Quote Originally Posted by smily View Post
    There are as usual with the law making in Indonesia nothing clear, so I have several different sides of this law, now are there any who actual knows how long one has to been residence or if goes by employment then how long.
    Tks
    Maybe you should tell more about:
    - What is your actual status (KITAS/non KITAS)?
    - When did you first get your status?
    - What reasons entitled you this status (foreign expert? investor? spouse of WNI? retired?...etc)?
    Torang samua basudara

Kami harus melakukan sesuai dengan persyaratan dan peraturan yang berlaku untuk Indonesia lebih baik.

Please, only moderator related questions (and fun stuff) by PM. Kindly post law related questions to the public forum so that answers can help the whole community.

Default Permanent recidence

Quote Originally Posted by atlantis View Post
    Maybe you should tell more about:
    - What is your actual status (KITAS/non KITAS)?
    - When did you first get your status?
    - What reasons entitled you this status (foreign expert? investor? spouse of WNI? retired?...etc)?
    My status is KITAS & I have been in Indo close to 9 years.
    I'm married Indo woman we have 2 children born in Indo.
    I'm what you could call foreing expert.

Post Who can apply for a KITAP?

Law in fact is quite clear, but as in many cases in Indonesia, this is more a problem of getting the right text of law with all of its amendment. Once you get it, everything becomes very clear and the only remaining difficulty is to explain it to the one who are supposed to know it: the Petugas Imigrasi, who in many case genuinely ignores the law. Once you get that done, things are smooth because at higher level (ie KanWil or DitJen), they know the law.

Concerning KITAP, here are the two main sources that you need to keep in mind:

1. Pasal 49, Peraturan Pemerintah nomor 32 tahun 1994 corrected by its second amendment as stated in the Peraturan Pemerintah nomor 38 tahun 2005:
    (1) Izin Tinggal Terbatas dapat dialihkan statusnya menjadi Izin Tinggal Tetap.
    (2) Pengalihan status sebagaimana dimaksud pada ayat (1) dapat diberikan atas dasar permintaan orang asing yang bersangkutan, dengan syarat telah berada di wilayah Negara Republik Indonesia sekurang-kurangnya 2 (dua) tahun berturut-turut sejak tanggal diberikannya Izin Tinggal Terbatas.
    Basically, it means that (1) an ITAS can be transformed in an ITAP and that (2) this transformation of status can be given after a demand of the foreigner with the condition that he already stayed a minimum of 2 full successive years in Indonesia since the date that his ITAS has been given.

Then you also need to look at:

2. Pasal 72, Keputusan Menteri Kehakiman nomor M.02-IZ.01.10 tahun 1995 corrected by its second amendment as stated in the Peraturan Menteri Hukum dan Hak Asasi Manusia nomor M.01-IZ.01.10 tahun 2007
    (1) Izin Tinggal Terbatas dapat dialihstatuskan menjadi Izin Tinggal Tetap, kecuali Izin Tinggal Terbatas Kemudahan Khusus Keimigrasian;
    (2) Alih status Izin Tinggal Terbatas menjadi Izin Tinggal Tetap sebagaimana dimaksud
    dalam ayat (1) dapat diberikan kepada orang asing dalam rangka:
    a. menanamkan modal;
    b. bekerja sebagai tenaga ahli langka;
    c. bekerja sebagai pimpinan tertinggi perusahaan;
    d. melaksanakan tugas sebagai rohaniwan;
    e. menggabungkan diri dengan suami atau istri warga negara Indonesia;
    f. menggabungkan diri dengan orang tua bagi anak sah pemegang paspor asing dari seorang warga negara Indonesia;
    g. menggabungkan diri dengan suami atau istri pemegang Izin Tinggal Tetap;
    h. menggabungkan diri dengan orang tua pemegang Izin Tinggal Tetap bagi anak yang berumur di bawah 18 (delapan belas) tahun dan belum kawin;
    i. memperoleh kembali kewarganegaraan Republik Indonesia berdasarkan Undang-Undang Nomor 12 Tahun 2006 tentang Kewarganegaraan Republik Indonesia;
    atau
    j. wisatawan lanjut usia mancanegara.
    (3) Alih status Izin Tinggal Terbatas menjadi Izin Tinggal Tetap harus memperhatikan aspek kemanfaatan orang asing tersebut bagi pembangunan nasional dan aspek kemanusiaan.

This is the article of law which lists the category of KITAS holder that could be entitled to be issued a KITAP. They are:
    a.) investors
    b.) rare foreign expert
    c.) top foreign manager of a company
    d.) foreign churchmen carrying religious duties
    e.) foreign spouse joining an Indonesian husband or wife
    f.) legitimate child who holds a foreign passport joining an Indonesian parent
    g.) foreign spouse of a foreigner holding a KITAP
    h.) legitimate unmarried foreign child (under 18 y.o) joining a foreign father/mother who is a KITAP holder.
    i.) Former Indonesian willing to regain Indonesian citizenship as per Citizenship law number 12/2006
    j.) Retired foreigner*

If your KITAS doesn't belong to any of these category, then you can not apply for a KITAP. Being a foreign expert is not enough as you can see. In your case, if you are not part of the top management, you will certainly have to wait until you stop working and that your Indonesian wife sponspors you for a KITAS (without having the right to work then). Then after 2 years, you will be able to apply for a KITAP.

However, belonging to one of the above categories is not enough... If you read the (3), it says that the change of status (from ITAS to ITAP) must consider the benefits that this foreigner brings to the nation in terms of national development and must consider the human aspects. This is for the very least highly subjective, and apart for the one belonging to the categories c.), d.), e.), f.), g.), h.) and i.) it may well remain a demand without automatic approbation.

If your change of status is accepted, you will receive a KITAP which allows you to remain in indonesia for 5 years... that's worth the hassles.

*definition of "retired" is given in Keputusan Menteri nomor M.04-IZ.01.02 Tahun 1998 tentang Pemberian Visa dan Izin Keimigrasian Bagi Wisatawan Lanjut Usia Mancanegara
    Last edited by atlantis; 02-06-09 at 21:31. Reason: add the * part
    Torang samua basudara

Kami harus melakukan sesuai dengan persyaratan dan peraturan yang berlaku untuk Indonesia lebih baik.

Please, only moderator related questions (and fun stuff) by PM. Kindly post law related questions to the public forum so that answers can help the whole community.

Borneo Rainforest, United Kingdom, France, Singapore

Atlantis, as with myself and Etienne, we are looking in the retirement category..re: the length of visa say 1st year..then extendable to 5 years after that..what happens after the 5th year. Etienne is abit concerned about that, as we do not just want to stay 5 years and having to uproot. We are looking for a 'permanent' residing country til as long as we grow old and decrepit...LOL..

So...it is not just limited for 5 years right?

Thanks Atlantis!
    kau begitu sempurna, dimata ku kau begitu indah

Quote Originally Posted by izamarina View Post
    Atlantis, as with myself and Etienne, we are looking in the retirement category..re: the length of visa say 1st year..then extendable to 5 years after that..what happens after the 5th year. Etienne is abit concerned about that, as we do not just want to stay 5 years and having to uproot. We are looking for a 'permanent' residing country til as long as we grow old and decrepit...LOL..

So...it is not just limited for 5 years right?

Thanks Atlantis!
    After the legal end of a KITAS or a KITAP, you apply for an extension of it. 6 months, 1 year or 2 years (depending on your category and remaning validity of your passport) for the KITAS and 5 years for a KITAP... Extensions are much easier to get than the "first step".
    For Etienne and you, there is a few "technical" stuff to address, but it won't be a problem to stay 30 years or more. KITAS Lansia (retirement visa) are now quite easy to get though the legal requirements are a bit of an headache and this is why I often advice to go through an agent for this particular type of visa (all the others can be addressd alone to my opinion). The main technical problem to address for you guys is the fact that you need to be married so that Etienne can sponsor you for a KITAS (as a joining spouse) once he will get his own KITAS Lansia. If not married, you will have to wait your own 55 y.o to get your own KITAS and stay in Indonesia with Visa Kunjungan Sosial Budaya untill then if you don't want to marry.
    Torang samua basudara

And don't forget to vote to the poll
    It will allow me to answer more precisely to any questions when I'll be back from Europe in January.
    Torang samua basudara

hello everybody.atlantis I have noticed that you are the person who knows the most about visas and all.my wife is indonesian and she heared from somebody she knows ,who works for the gouverment ,that there is a new law for men who are merried with an indonesian.it seems that you can get a doubble nationality,so you don't have to leave the country every 6 months.i have to tell you that we still live in belgium but that we have plans for moving to semarang.thank you

Quote Originally Posted by sugijarto View Post
    hello everybody.atlantis I have noticed that you are the person who knows the most about visas and all.my wife is indonesian and she heared from somebody she knows ,who works for the gouverment ,that there is a new law for men who are merried with an indonesian.it seems that you can get a doubble nationality,so you don't have to leave the country every 6 months.i have to tell you that we still live in belgium but that we have plans for moving to semarang.thank you
    Hi Sugijarto,
    I answered to your question on that thread:
    http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...ead.php?t=1146
    At post #5

You asked me the question last time but may have not noticed the answer. Just click on the link.
    If it is still unclear, or if you have any other question, feel free to ask directly there.
    Torang samua basudara

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast