Thread: Permanent Resident in Indonesia

Default Permanent Resident in Indonesia

Hi there,
    Would like to ask bout how to apply to be permanent resident in indonesia,
    I am an Indonesian, My wife is a malaysian, We will be in medan next two months.

Thx.
    Nero

Hi Jamesnero,
    You will have to first apply for temporary residency then, after two full years be able to convert the status of your wife into permanent residency. Note that neither of the two status will allow her to work if sponsored by you. Only companies can sponsor a foreigner for a work permit and this eventhough he/she is married to an indonesian.

See here for the procedure of conversion of an izin kunjungan in an Izin tinggal terbatas.
    Torang samua basudara

Kami harus melakukan sesuai dengan persyaratan dan peraturan yang berlaku untuk Indonesia lebih baik.

Please, only moderator related questions (and fun stuff) by PM. Kindly post law related questions to the public forum so that answers can help the whole community.

Hi Atlantis,

Thanks for ur quick response, I've couple of q which is:
    1. Temporary residence is Vitas? and Permanent residence is Kitas?
    2. My wife can get the so called Visa Kunjungan SosBud in the indonesia embassy in malaysia or just the normal visa on arrival in medan?
    3. Will this process be easier or less time consuming by using an agent? i am doing this in medan not jakarta. One of my Jakarta lawfirm is charging me 1500USD for whole thing.
    4. Will me or my wife need to travel to jkt in any of the process of temporary residence?

Thx,
    Nero

1) ITAS = Izin Tinggal Terbatas (temporary residency permit) . If someone gets it outside Indonesia ,she/he gets a Visa Izin Tinggal Terbatas or VITAS . The VITAS process will continue in Indonesia and at the end it will become a KITAS (Kartu Izin Tinggal Terbatas) . Someone can also get KITAS without starting with a VITAS (example : changing a sosbud visa to KITAS) .
    Permanent residency = Izin Tinggal Tetap = ITAP , or , at the end of the process , someone will get the Kartu Izin Tinggal Tetap = KITAP .
    See more details here : http://www.expat.or.id/info/docs.html
    2) Both options possible normally . It seems Malaysians get free 30 days stay permit/visa .
    See here how easy is to get a sosbud in Kuala Lumpur : http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...0743#post10743
    3) A one year KITAS costs (officially) only Rp700k , I spent around Rp1.2 Juta in Bandung (USD 130) for the KITAS and associated documents from police , Kantor Catatan Sipil , ... Sosbud costs RM$170 in KL (around USD 50) . For sure it is easier using an agent , but you really don't need one . But if you don't have time , just give the step-by-step instructions to someone capable enough . Many people will be glad to help you for a Rp1 Juta tip to do the KITAS work for you .
    See how was my process here : http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.org/showthread.php/1146-KITAS-sponsored-by-an-Indonesian-wife-of-a-foreign-husband./page25 , post no. 247 .
    Note : The process for a foreign wife is the same as the process for foreign husband .
    4) Yes , unless you give a surat kuasa (authority letter) to somebody else or manage to do it by express post , tiki , ...
    Last edited by marcus; 04-11-10 at 19:46.

hi Marcus and Atlantis,

Thanks for both of ur time

Recent update is that, my wife has applied the sosial budaya visa in Kuala Lumpur, But i notice that the visa type is a 211, went to the medan immigration office they said that i need a 317. and from the website. i found out that i will need some kind of approval letter from immigration ditjen in Jakarta to get this 317.
    1. Do I need to go to jkt to get this 317?
    or i can convert the 211 to 317?
    What is the difference of the 211 and 317? one of my findings is the 317 is VITAS, is this true?

2. Which way of process is more reasonable and easier for the indonesia government for my wife to get the kitas?
    is it the SosBud -> ITAS or so called as VITAS -> KITAS
    or the SosBud -> KITAS

1) It is the Jakarta immigration office which will give you the ok for you to get the VITAS in Singapore or Kuala Lumpur , or .. , but you can give a "Surat Kuasa" to somebody go there , or , maybe (ask) , you can do it by express mail (send the process by express mail and include inside a prepaid return envelope for the copy of authorization they will issue) .
    The 211 visa is the sosial budaya (sosbud) single journey , and the 317 (not sure) seems to be the VITAS which is later transformed in KITAS .

2) The Sosbud to KITAS = Sosbud to ITAS = Izin Kunjungan to ITAS , is the easiest as you do all the procedures inside Indonesia .
    Unfortunately there are still immigration officers stating the need to get the VITAS . I would suggest you to insist trying to do sosbud to KITAS . First I would go to the forms counter at the local immigration office and just ask for "formulir untuk konversi Izin Kunjungan ke ITAS" (forms for conversion of visit permit to Limited Stay Permit ) . If the officer give you the set of forms , this prove they should process it . If the officer say he/she doesn't know , ask him/her for (form) "Perdim 23" named "Formulir Perpanjangan Atau Konversi Izin Kunjungan" . With this form in hand and a copy of related regulations (see below - there are probably more , look for in this Forum) , try to convince the officer at "ITAS..." counter that you want to do this conversion stated in that Perdim 23 . If the designated officer for ITAS still cannot be convinced , tell than that you want to talk to their boss ( all politely ).
    Read the references :
    http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...husband./page1
    http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...2841#post72841
    http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...s-in-real-time...

[PETUNJUK PELAKSANAAN DIREKTUR JENDERAL IMIGRASI
    NOMOR : F-310.IZ.01.10 TAHUN 1995
    TENTANG TATA CARA ALIH STATUS IZIN KEIMIGRASIAN
    I. PENDAHULUAN
    A. Maksud dan Tujuan.
    Petunjuk Pelaksanaan ini dimaksudkan adalah untuk memberikan pedoman Pelaksanaan Keputusan Menteri Kehakiman Nomor: M.02-IZ.01.10 Tahun 1995 tentang Visa Singgah, Visa Kunjungan, Visa Tinggal Terbatas, Izin Masuk dan Izin Keimigrasian, sehingga terdapat suatu keseragaman pengertian dalam pelaksanaan proses tata laksana kegiatan alih status Izin Keimigrasian. Petunjuk pelaksanaan ini bertujuan agar dalam pelaksanaan tugas Pemberian Alih Status Izin Keimigrasian, dapat terlaksana secara tertib, efektif dan efisien.
    B. Ruang Lingkup
    Petunjuk pelaksanaan ini ruang lingkupnya meliputi:
    1. Alih Status Izin Kunjungan menjadi Izin Tinggal Terbatas
    a. Subyek Alih Status Izin Kunjungan menjadi Izin Tinggal
    Terbatas;
    b. Tata cara dan persyaratan :
    1) Permintaan;
    2) Prosedur penyelesaian;
    3) Pemberian;
    4) Penolakan.
    2. Alih Status Izin Tinggal Terbatas menjadi Izin Tinggal Tetap
    a. Subyek alih Status Izin Tinggal Terbatas menjadi Izin Tinggal Tetap;
    b. Tata cara dan persyaratan :
    1) Permintaan;
    2) Prosedur penyelesaian;
    3) Pemberian;
    4) Penolakan.

II. DASAR
    1. Undang - Undang Nomor 3 Tahun 1958 tentang Penempatan Tenaga Kerja Asing;
    2. Undang - Undang Nomor 1 Tahun 1967 tentang Penanaman Modal Asing sebagaimana telah diubah dengan Undang-Undang Nomor 11 Tahun 1970;
    3. Undang-Undang No.6 Tahun 1968 tentang Penanaman Modal Dalam Negeri.
    4. Undang - Undang Nomor 9 Tahun 1992 tentang Keimigrasian;
    5. Peraturan Pemerintah Nomor 30 Tahun 1994 tentang Tata Cara Pelaksanaan Pencegahan dan Penangkalan;
    6. Peraturan Pemerintah Nomor 31 Tahun 1994 tentang Pencegahan dan Penangkalan;
    7. Peraturan Pemerintah Nomor 32 Tahun 1994 tentang Visa, Izin Masuk dan Izin Keimigrasian;
    8. Keputusan Presiden Republik Indonesia Nomor 23 Tahun 1984 tentang Pembatasan Penggunaan Tenaga Kerja Warga Negara Asing Pendatang;
    9. Keputusan Presiden Republik Indonesia Nomor 15 Tahun 1984,tentang Susunan Organisasi Departemen sebagaimana telah dirubah beberapa kali, terakhir untuk Departemen Kehakiman dengan Keputusan Presiden Republik Indonesia Nomor 32 Tahun 1988;
    10. Keputusan Menteri Kehakiman Republik Indonesia Nomor M.02-PR.07.10 Tahun 1989 tentang Organisasi dan Tata Kerja
    Departemen Kehakiman;
    11. Keputusan Menteri Kehakiman Republik Indonesia Nomor M.03-PR.07.10 Tahun 1991 tentang Organisasi dan Tata Kerja Kantor Imigrasi;
    12. Keputusan Menteri Kehakiman Republik Indonesia Nomor M.02-PR.07.04 Tahun 1992 tentang Organisasi dan Tata Kerja Kantor Wilayah Departemen Kehakiman;
    13. Keputusan Menteri Kehakiman Republik Indonesia Nomor M.02-IZ.01.10 Tahun 1995 tentang Visa Singgah, Visa Kunjungan, Visa Tinggal Terbatas. Izin Masuk dan Izin Keimigrasian.
    III. PELAKSANAAN
    A. UMUM
    1. Alih Status Izin Keimigrasian adalah perubahan Status Izin
    Kunjungan menjadi Izin Tinggal Terbatas dan Izin Tinggal Terbatas
    menjadi Izin Tinggal Tetap.
    2. Izin Kunjungan yang dapat dialihstatuskan menjadi Izin Tinggal Terbatas adalah :
    a. Izin Kunjungan untuk tujuan usaha;
    b. Izin kunjungan untuk tujuan Sosial Budaya;
    c. Izin Kunjungan dalam rangka tugas Pemerintahan.
    3. Izin Kunjungan yang tidak dapat dialih statuskan adalah:
    a. Izin Kunjungan untuk tujuan Wisata;
    b. Izin Kunjungan yang diberikan kepada orang asing pemegang Visa Kunjungan saat kedatangan;
    c. Izin Kunjungan yang diberikan kepada Warganegara Asing yang
    menggunakan fasilitas Bebas Visa Kunjungan Singkat.
    4. Pengalihan Status Izin Tinggal Terbatas menjadi Izin Tinggal Tetap tidak diberikan kepada orang asing yang tidak memiliki paspor kebangsaan.
    5. Izin Tinggal Terbatas Kemudahan Khusus Keimigrasian tidak dapat dialih statuskan menjadi Izin Tinggal Tetap.
    6. Sponsor adalah Orang Perorangan atau Perusahaan, Badan Usaha,Organisasi atau Instansi yang mendatangkan, menjamin dan bertanggung jawab terhadap hal ihwal keberadaan orang Asing selama berada di Wilayah Indonesia sampai dengan pemulangannya ke negara asal atau ke luar wilayah Indonesia.
    7. Foto copy persyaratan yang telah diteliti dilegalisir sesuai dengan aslinya.
    ...............]

[........................
    (1) Alih Status Izin Kunjungan menjadi Izin Tinggal Terbatas dapat diberikan kepada orang asing dalam rangka:
    a. menanamkan modal;
    b. bekerja sebagai tenaga kerja ahli;
    c. bekerja sebagai pimpinan perusahaan;
    d. melaksanakan tugas sebagai rohaniwan;
    e. mengikuti pendidikan dan pelatihan;
    f. mengadakan penelitian ilmiah;
    g. menggabungkan diri dengan suami atau istri warga negara Indonesia;
    h. menggabungkan diri dengan suami atau istri pemegang Izin Tinggal Terbatas atau Izin Tinggal Tetap;
    i. menggabungkan diri dengan orang tua pemegang Izin Tinggal Terbatas atau Izin Tinggal Tetap bagi anak yang berumur di bawah 18 (delapan belas) tahun dan belum kawin;........................]
    Last edited by marcus; 12-01-11 at 11:43.