Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Medan

Default Medan

Hi I am new to the forum. My husband is from North Sumatra and I am Aussie. WE have lived in Australia most of our 15 years of marriage but we are now considering spending a year or two in Medan. We have 2 primary school aged children who love their trips to Indonesia every year and are very keen to also spend some extended time there so I am hoping to get some advise about a few aspects of living there.
    Firstly the housing issue. Can anyone recommend a reputable agent who handles rentals in the Medan area? We are looking for a house in a secure complex, furnished if possible. I have done a bit of googling and Rp50 juta per annum seems to be the going rate for a nice house with A/C, is that about right??
    On to schooling. I am thinking of getting the kids home schooled yet also allowing them to attend a local public school as they are 1/2 Indo and we want them to learn the language, culture etc. Has anyone else had experience with putting English only speaking kids into local schools with a tutor? I think the cost of an international school would be rather high for possibly only 12 months. Any advice on this would be much appreciated!
    Lastly(for now) is living costs. Can anyone give a ball park on costs per month for utilities, internet, fuel, groceries? We will not be living a complete expat lifestyle (as my husband is Indo), so in some ways we will live a fairly modest existence but with a few western luxuries from time to time. Just a rough idea of costs is all I'm really after.
    Any and all advise would be helpful......Thanks ;-)

Hey Talking Tess,for housing kompleks tasbih (taman setiabudi indah) would be good, its a child friendly neighborhood with good rep since I was a little bambino. for school there are many private school there, my little cousin are in prime one school http://www.pos.sch.id/, great facilities, good teachers, good security, teachers talking in english and bahasa. about housing maybe you can ask for your inlaws to help you with that, anyways welcome to Medan!

H Talking Tess. I'm at work at the moment but will try and come up with a nice long answer this evening, when I have more time to think.... In general, people don't bother with agents here for renting accommodation. Will go into all that later.....

Oh ****!!! I know I promised... but got in really late.... and now it is gone midnight. I promise I will post tomorrow! Honest....!!

Banned

Has anyone else had experience with putting English only speaking kids into local schools with a tutor? I think the cost of an international school would be rather high for possibly only 12 months. Any advice on this would be much appreciated!
    Medan International School is not that high a cost....and having English speaking friends and half indonesian friends from the start may help them settle better. But your idea is not without merit, my parents did that years back in Semarang with my 2 brothers and sister, and they enjoyed it.

I have done a bit of googling and Rp50 juta per annum seems to be the going rate for a nice house with A/C, is that about right??
    Sounds a bit high to me, for medan. Unless it is a 3-4 bedroom house with pool. There are places in the outskirts of Jakarta less than that, BSD and Serpong come to mind.

Housing: Finding a house is so easy that few people bother using an agency. Book into a hotel for a week when you first arrive, then rent a car and driver (the driver will know the places to look for re housing) for a day and have him drive around the various housing complexes. When you see something you like from the outside, call the number displayed... either the owner will turn up almost immediately, or he/she will tell you that the keys are being held close by. If you like what you see inside, then start negotiating. Owners quite often have more than one property, so asking if he/she has something else to show, may well throw up an unexpected jewel! Drop into the administration office as well, as they may know some of the owners.

As a previous poster said, theTASBI(H) complex is a good starting point... but go for TASBI 1 (just off Jalan Setia Budi, as TASBI 2 is way outside the city and travelling back and forth will probably drive you crazy. There are loads of other complexes too, which a hired driver will know about. Another one that comes to mind is CEMARA ASLI.

Housing prices in Medan have risen sharply over the past few years. However, they are still quite reasonable and range from as little as Rp10 million per year for quite a small place up to way over your price. They tend to be cheaper on the complexes outside the city centre and more expensive in the centre of the city. Having said that, I pay Rp20 million for mine and it is very central and quite big (5 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms etc.... no air con, but I prefer ceiling fans anyway). In the same street there is a similar house which went recently for Rp60 million... so as you can see, it is all down to negotiating. As your husband is Indonesian, he will have a better chance of negotiating a good price. BTW, houses here are usually rented unfurnished, but furnished ones do exist, it is just harder to find them! You can also furnish a house at quite a reasonable price as long as you are not going for high-range furniture... shop in the local shops rather than the big shopping malls or brand name stores.

Wow, this is getting a bit long-winded! Let me take a break and come back to you with living costs etc!!

@ vin.vierge.....thanks for your input. I had a look at the link to the school, the website has very little info but I will try to check it out when we are there next.
    My inlaws are not from Medan, they live a few hours north of Medan in a small town and very rarely visit the city area, so they aren't much help with Medan info.

@ Kingwilly....glad to hear someone else who has tried the alternative to international schooling and been happy, it is really just an option we are looking into at the moment and yes you are right that having a school that would help the kids settle better and more quickly is the best way as it is one of our biggest concerns.

@phiss.....I am looking forward to the rest of your post, thankyou so much for taking the time to go into so much detail. My husband actually spoke to a friend in Medan last night and he suggested Cemara Asri( I think mostly as it is closer to his house) but it seems to have a good reputation. Do you know much about the Chandra Kusuma School in Cemara Asri? I have looked at their website and emailed them for extra info but I have not had a response as yet. Thanks for the tip on furnishing, will def look at both furnished and unfurnished in that case. Very glad to hear that good housing in within our budget. We are planning on a taking a trip over earlier before the move to check things out properly but it is great to get all this info now so we can work out a financial plan. Keep it coming, any info is much appreciated

Am preparing to go to work now... part 2 soon!! Just a couple of questions to help me plan out relevant info....Are you planning to work here? And how do you plan to travel around Medan... own car, buses, becaks, etc.? BTW, the Chandra Kusuma School has a good reputation...

Hi phiss......I am not 'planning' to work but once the kids are settled I will probably need/want to do something. My husband has a few business ventures that he is hoping to get off the ground, but we do not need to live in any particular area for work. We will have our own car, but will also use becak (the kids think it's a treat) when possible......

Quote Originally Posted by Talking Tess View Post
    Do you know much about the Chandra Kusuma School in Cemara Asri?
    My wife taught there a few years ago, PM me with any questions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast