Crossing Kalimantan on a motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crossing Kalimantan on a motor

Hi Expats and locals and everyone in between !

In mid February I'm leaving Pontianak and heading to Sangatta for a bit of a ride on my motor. I'll probably take a month or a bit longer to cross the island and will be trying to avoid the Trans Kalimantan highway as much as possible.

Apart from my love of travel I'm taking the opportunity to raise awareness of the Darus Sallah orphanage in Sangatta by running a blog of my trip. The blog has a link to a fundraising website set up by Bangun Usahari who lives and works in Sangatta; my theory being that people who view the blog may become aware of the orphanage and may wsh to provide some small assistance.

If these sorts of trips interest you feel free to have a read of our blog and make any comment.

http://sampaipuncak01.blogspot.com.au/

Cheers
    Mark
    I drink... therefore I am

Good on you Mark, sounds like an interesting trip and worthy cause to be supporting.

Here's a little *bump* for your post, hope you don't hit too many big ones on the ride.
    Sometimes I feel I must be lexdysic.

Comment

Thanks for the bump Bagindo.... it can be a tough crowd here sometimes!

Comment

Hi Mark

I'm living in Samarinda and very interested in your travel.
        What motorcycle do you will use?

I didn't even knew we have a trans-kalimantan Highway!
        Now they are building an "highway" Balikpapan-Samarinda... But the road is far of being finish and I don't talk you about the bridge who is in construction since almost 10 year!
        La motivation vient en se motivant ~ Motivation come by self-motivation

Comment

Originally posted by PhilippeD View Post
          Hi Mark

What motorcycle do you will use?

I didn't even knew we have a trans-kalimantan Highway!
          Here you go Philippe, some light reading for you http://www.indii.co.id/news_daily_detail.php?id=3221. I'll just wander around and find as much dirt road as I can.... my girlfriend seems to think I'll get lost but that's the whole point !

I have a 2002 Honda Megapro that has been stripped and put back together to look like a CB100. Working my way through some mods and repairs before I leave in Feb.

Cheers mate
          Mark

Comment

Bumping for you M.
            xo

Comment

Originally posted by Roadrunner View Post
              Here you go Philippe, some light reading for you http://www.indii.co.id/news_daily_detail.php?id=3221. I'll just wander around and find as much dirt road as I can.... my girlfriend seems to think I'll get lost but that's the whole point !

I have a 2002 Honda Megapro that has been stripped and put back together to look like a CB100. Working my way through some mods and repairs before I leave in Feb.

Cheers mate
              Mark
              I read the article write in 2012 from the link... I have no idea of how it is for the rest of kalimantan, but here in samarinda, the bridge over the Mahakam river is not finish, we still use the old road for going to balikpapan because the "highway" is not finish and most of the part of the "highway" build here in samarinda have been build this year and are still in progress...
              DonT' put too much hope over this trans-kalimatan highway.

If you end up in Samarinda, let me know I will be happy to pick you up at the bridge (of the old road) and ride you through the city.

Don't plan nothing more far on the east than Sangatta, or be ready with full off road tire for a mix of muddy wet slippery clay (seriously, don't go there!)

Comment

If you end up in Samarinda, let me know I will be happy to pick you up at the bridge (of the old road) and ride you through the city.

Don't plan nothing more far on the east than Sangatta, or be ready with full off road tire for a mix of muddy wet slippery clay (seriously, don't go there!)
                Don't worry Phillipe, I'm prepared for offroad riding. That's the point of the ride.... to stay off the better roads and go for a look around. Although any further East than Sangatta might have me swiming in the Makassar Straight :-). The only hope I have for the Trans Kalimantan highway is that I don't get to see it !

Would be great to catch up for a coffee as I go through Samarinda though.

Comment

I ever find a blog of a malaysian who have done france-Malaysia by motor and then continue his route from bontang to java to australia. He didn't expect the road bontang-Sanggatta to be as rough, he end up to put his GS650 (mono) with stock tire on a truck and take r day for doing the 400km of jungle... That is why I told you, don't go there!

What tire do you will put on your megapro?
                  Not so long I have buy new rim for my scorpioz, I keep the 18 inch rim for have a good choice of off-road tire for it.

Comment

I Forgot to add... This the website of the guy I talk about earlier. He made the ride reverse from Berau to... I don't know where. I think it will be worth taking a look at his website. He made the ride in 2009.

http://www.bybike2malaysia.com/galleries/

Comment

Have read that previously Philippe, it makes for compelling reading.

As for your tyre query, I'm running these http://www.jayamotorkatapang.com/pro...id_product=817 as they give me a good general tyre, and will re-assess as I go around and change to suit. I've run knobbies on my TTR350 before but find no real advantage in them for this sort of touring.

Cheers
                      Mark

Comment

I'm a little bit late to answer, I had not a lot of time for the forum since the beginning of the year.

I agree with you, most of your ride will be on road, mostly paved. Knobby tire would not be nice at all. The whole ride balikpapan-Sanggatta is on paved road, I would have to have to do that on knobby.

I had never use a square pattern tire (like on trial bike) like what you said you will put on your bike.
                        I'm sure those tire are good on DRY mud and my feeling is they would not be that good on wet mud. The mud can be quite sticky here, I ever had a case where the front wheel didn't want turn anymore because of too much mud accumulate around the tire until meet the mudguard and block the wheel (happen while making a detour for going to office because of road repair).
                        But they will be better than my road tire for the hard-pack clay you may cross on mining road. Dry it's a charm (flat without hole), but when wet, even lightly, it's like ice! Need some grip on your tire for being able drive those road.

The square pattern tire can be plus-or-less easy to find at many place (sincerely only scooter tire are easy to find anywhere).
                        The other choice I would suggest you for unpaved road are the mizzle M52, mizzle itself call it a semi-cross. I would trust them more for self-cleaning the mud.

For now my prefered Indonesian tire brand are FDR, they make quite good quality tire for small motor. Unfortunately they don'T make "semi-cross" tire.
                        My next tire to put on my motor (probably this month) are FDR XR EVO. Lot of groove for a road tire, I have high expectation for them for wet pavement and a minimal grip on muddy road of pavement covered with mud of sand.

** make search of pic of the tire, they are quite easy to find on googgle.

Comment

Like I mention you by e-mail, I will be very happy to accompanying you for crossing samarinda and follow you until bontang or kalimantan (depending of the schedule, I would need to come back and I don't want drive in the jungle at night).

For crossing samarinda, I can bring you in small road which won't extend that much your ride and you would have trouble to find by yourself!

Comment

Like I mention you by e-mail, I will be very happy to accompanying you for crossing samarinda and follow you until bontang or kalimantan (depending of the schedule, I would need to come back and I don't want drive in the jungle at night).

For crossing samarinda, I can bring you in small road which won't extend that much your ride and you would have trouble to find by yourself!
                            Sure Philippe, will catch up in Samarinda if it suits. I'm not sure of my timings as I'm flying out of Balikpapan to Bali on the 18th of March and need to have the bike cleaned and at the shipping agents at least a day beforehand. I think I'll be up at Darus Sallah on the 14th so maybe coming through Samarinda on the 12th and heading north through Badak.... but there's a lot of dirt roads between Pontianak and there so we'll see ya.

I considered those M52's but discarded them in favour of a more general tyre. The bike has had most of the mod's done now and goes in tomorrow for a service and replacement of all general parts (brakes, ignition, filters etc). Looking forward to getting back on a motor and exploring again !

Comment

Originally posted by Roadrunner View Post
                              Sure Philippe, will catch up in Samarinda if it suits. I'm not sure of my timings as I'm flying out of Balikpapan to Bali on the 18th of March and need to have the bike cleaned and at the shipping agents at least a day beforehand. I think I'll be up at Darus Sallah on the 14th so maybe coming through Samarinda on the 12th and heading north through Badak.... but there's a lot of dirt roads between Pontianak and there so we'll see ya.

I considered those M52's but discarded them in favour of a more general tyre. The bike has had most of the mod's done now and goes in tomorrow for a service and replacement of all general parts (brakes, ignition, filters etc). Looking forward to getting back on a motor and exploring again !
                              I was expecting you won't be able to give me a fixed date... how it goes when we are exploring, we can't know how thing will goes on.

Where do you expect pass the night, Balikpapan or Samarinda?
                              Here some clue about the ride in my area:
                              Balikpapan to Samarinda 2:30 to 3 hour (depending of traffic) only one choice of road - dangerous road, better follow the traffic.
                              Crossing samarinda 45 minute (2 hour if you get lost :P )
                              out of samarinda to Bontang 2:30 to 3 hour (only one choice of road - no traffic, it is more about your driving skill and speed, VERY curvy and sloppy road)
                              Bontang to Sanggatta - don't know, never go there.

In samarinda, I can give you a small detour on "country" road, on of them is receiving new pavement right now.
                              If you have time, I can also bring you to tenggarong the view and road are quite nice (2 hour for go and back)

Here some teaser of the ride in between samarinda and bontang:

Comment

Working...
                              X