Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bad_azz View Post
    Football = a faster, lither game. More likened to ballet perhaps
    Its not what it was- its gone corporate, ergo I have little respect left for it.
    Big business came in and the sport for the common man went out- tickets are stupid prices.
    Its been over marketed to the point that the players are more about celebrity than about loyalty and talent.
    If I was given the choice between watching a match at Old Trafford or standing on the sidelines to watch the local lads' Sunday league game - I'd go to the non-pro local game every time.
    This could have been written by me. Even watching my local club in the UK at the fifth tier of English football costs a minimum of £15 (300,000rp) which is ridiculous for that level. The only time I ever watch football nowadays is if there's a game on in Singapore during my occasional visits - SG$5 entry fee (approx. 50,000rp) - as I enjoy the relaxed, low-key atmosphere at the games, the good-natured fans and the lack of 'big-time charlies' on the field not to mention the balmy evenings. I didn't watch a single WC game this year nor have I for the last two or three tournaments for the reasons b_a stated above. Sadly, football sold its soul years ago and simply has no allure for me anymore.

I also much prefer league to union (although don't watch any rugby anymore) but I think where you're from or your upbringing has a large bearing on which you prefer. If you grew up in Yorkshire, Lancashire or Sydney, then the likelihood is that if you like rugby then it'll be league not union
    And the young people ask, what are they marching for? And I ask myself the same question.

Comment

Growing up in the Western Australian countryside at the time that I did the only exposure we ever had to soccer was when there was a riot, a stadium collapse/fire, a stampede and so on. Soccer meant casualties, hooligans and aggrevation. There was never anything appealing about any of that.

So we grew up with Aussie rules in the winter and cricket in the summer.

When I finally did decide to watch a soccer game, it was Australia vs Italy (?) in the 2006 world cup. Nothing happened, the ball went backwards and forwards and nothing happened. No goals, nothing. That is until the last minute when an Italian dude fell over, rolled around in extreme agony with an obvious shattered pelvis, destroyed knee, broken shin, dislocated shoulder and a severed spinal cord. He was immediately given a free kick which despite his injuries he kicked a goal and that was it, game over.
      I was left thinking...what was the point in that? I would rather watch tennis as even though you are looking at the ball going left and right of screen all the time atleast in tennis they score.

Anyway, soccer rant over.

Comment

10 step to eternity...

Comment

Daun, Tudor, it's nice to know I am not alone in my opinions.
          Having lived in Huddersfield, Bradford & Hull has likely swayed me to RL.
          I remember well going to watch Huddersfield Town FC playing their away matches on a Tuesday evening (I was working so missed most of the Saturday matches). Freezing, eating hot pies and paying very little.

"[COLOR=#333333]football sold its soul years" could not have put it any better at all.

this all begs a question (in the form of a pun)...

Come on football, where's your defence?[/COLOR]
          Cicak Magnet

Comment

wait i'm trying to...

ok i got it...

well i approve if someone would call it a ballet... hey i bet you who said that never watch The Game Plan or never try to copied it before, if you do you would know that ballet is very hard, technically... and tho it may sell it soul to evil corporate industries it still preserve its beauty... just look at the 1st 30min when German destroy Brazil yesterday, ain't she pretty... u might say that AF and Rugby is more "manly" i agree, but seriously why do you think E! entertainment still exist on cable, or why Runaway magazine is the best magazine at The Devil's Wear Prada film, or why Leo draw Monalisa, its because people search and worship beauty... try to see when big teams at Euro Championship League met one to another, see their fans, all that thousands of people looking at 1 ball, all the mix emotions among them. If Leo still be alive today i think he would even draw a greater masterpiece, greater than monalisa or last supper, an Art that if it display at Louvre Museum people would shed tears and said "this is to great to be just kept here, it should be shared at the sky, where all mankind may see and happy to see such a beauty exist"...

you get my drift guys... ...
            10 step to eternity...

Comment

Originally posted by SomeoneHere View Post
              wait i'm trying to...

ok i got it...

well i approve if someone would call it a ballet... hey i bet you who said that never watch The Game Plan or never try to copied it before, if you do you would know that ballet is very hard, technically... and tho it may sell it soul to evil corporate industries it still preserve its beauty... just look at the 1st 30min when German destroy Brazil yesterday, ain't she pretty... u might say that AF and Rugby is more "manly" i agree, but seriously why do you think E! entertainment still exist on cable, or why Runaway magazine is the best magazine at The Devil's Wear Prada film, or why Leo draw Monalisa, [SIZE=3]its because people search and worship beauty[/SIZE]... try to see when big teams at Euro Championship League met one to another, see their fans, all that thousands of people looking at 1 ball, all the mix emotions among them. If Leo still be alive today i think he would even draw a greater masterpiece, greater than monalisa or last supper, an Art that if it display at Louvre Museum people would shed tears and said "this is to great to be just kept here, it should be shared at the sky, where all mankind may see and happy to see such a beauty exist"...

you get my drift guys... ...
              nice try
              1: Not my kind of people, shallow folks. I tend to hang out with people who have some substance.
              2: Really stretching it to compare art exhibits in the Louvre with modern day footballers..............but in that vein, most celebrated works of art were soulless corporate jobs (papal commissions) - so they had to be hyped up to get the punters in - usually cathedrals, churches and such... Michaelangelo' chapel ceiling, Caravaggio's controversial works were oft rejected and he had to repaint them to be more acceptable- the who pays the piper scenario at work there..., Bernini's fountains and sculptures, Gaudi and his works around Barcelona.
              Yet the simple Van Gogh Sunflowers - no commission but a whole lot of talent.

(on a personal-taste note - the Mona Lisa never really did it for me... I fail to see what all the hype is about- mirroring my sentiments about football I guess)
              Cicak Magnet

Comment

i'll just go with a white flag for this issue... just not worth the dizzyness i had...
                10 step to eternity...

Comment

Does this ball count?

imagesCABT7LPI.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by ~daun~ View Post
                    Does this ball count?[ATTACH]18421[/ATTACH]
                    Certainly does mate

Comment

bah 2 more AF addicts....

btw a quote from Introducting myself thread...
                      Originally posted by Yerikhoable View Post
                      Yea I love football a lot. It boost my adrenaline and spirit. I enjoy the last World Cup in Brazil. There are many beautiful goals scored, isn't it?
                      10 step to eternity...

Comment

Hahaha the pic is a cricket ball... nothing to do with AF.
                        Cicak Magnet

Comment

oh...*felt so dumb" now...
                          10 step to eternity...

Comment

Originally posted by SomeoneHere View Post
                            oh...*felt so dumb" now...
                            Dont worry Somone, I chose that pic especially as it wouldn't be recognisable to anyone who doesn't know (and perhaps love?) cricket.

Cricket, the only game that can last 5 days and still keep you on the edge of your seat...

Comment

Dont worry Somone, I chose that pic especially as it wouldn't be recognisable to anyone who doesn't know (and perhaps love?) cricket.

Cricket, the only game that can last 5 days and still keep you on the edge of your seat...
                              meaniee...

btw i only remember watching that game once (5 min only) still dont understand the basic...
                              10 step to eternity...

Comment

I used to play in an amateur league when I was a teenager. From a player's perspective, I love how the level of terror you have throughout depends entirely on your position. When I played on the boundary, it was hours of boredom until someone popped one high and my way. Then it was an instant of pure exhilaration. Moving to wicket keeper made every ball exciting, and I loved it.

On topic: NFL is great from a tactical perspective, but I think the league itself is run too much like a sterile corporation. And does a hockey puck count? It may not be a ball but it is round.

Comment

Working...
                                X