Your Native "Kampung" Recipes.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Native "Kampung" Recipes.

Share them if you have any? Ive been following hillbilly cooking channel on utube, the foods are yummy and so freakin easy to make
    I figure theres a lot of expat at this forum *d'oh* so i want to know any traditional food recipe or the Kampung food from your country.

Hillbilly cooking - I had to look that up. Some good videos, it looks like. I think that covers American kampung cooking pretty well.

One down-home dish that was popular when I was growing up was chicken divan. Here's the super-easy version:

3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
    1 can condensed soup (mushroom, chicken, asparagus ...whatever you like)
    1 container sour cream
    1 largish head of broccoli, or 1 box frozen, or about 1/2 a bag of frozen
    salt to taste (about 2 teaspoons in our house)
    other herbs and spices that suit you - white pepper, cumin, basil, dill
    panko

Poach the chicken until just cooked and cut into bite-size pieces. If using fresh broccoli, cut it into pieces and cook it lightly (I usually put it in the microwave with just a little water for about 3 minutes). If using frozen broccoli, run it under a little warm water to thaw it a bit. Mix the sour cream and can of condensed soup together, add salt and any other spices/herbs you like. Add the chicken and broccoli pieces.

Put in a casserole and cover with panko - bake in medium oven until bubbly.

It's actually not a bad recipe, except of course for the shameful use of condensed soup. You can fix that by making a white sauce and stirring in some grated Jarlsberg or parmasan cheese instead of the can of soup.

You can also vary this a lot of ways; the ingredients and amounts don't have to be precise. I made it the other day and added a can of drained chopped tomatoes, some adobo seasoning, and a lot of chopped fresh basil. It was quite good.

Comment

This is the channel: the hillbilly kitchen https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC547XA_zfSXKLaqe-GAiXCg

Their fried chicken recipe is super scrumptious, the secret is.. the crumbs're made of crushed ritz crackers. I tried with cheese ritz crackers it's even better.

Maybe ill try your chicken divan recipe tomorrow, i wonder can sour cream be changed by yogurt?

Comment

Originally posted by taksukaikan View Post
        This is the channel: the hillbilly kitchen https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC547XA_zfSXKLaqe-GAiXCg

Their fried chicken recipe is super scrumptious, the secret is.. the crumbs're made of crushed ritz crackers. I tried with cheese ritz crackers it's even better.

Maybe ill try your chicken divan recipe tomorrow, i wonder can sour cream be changed by yogurt?
        If you use real Greek yogurt (the brand I eat is Farmer's Union), yes. Most of the other types of yogurt I've seen in Indonesia I wouldn't use for this. Yummy brand is okay. But Bio Kul has an oddly pasty texture; I would not use it for cooking.

And thank you for posting the link!

Comment

Couldnt wait til tomorrow xD
          IMG_20160314_220455.jpg

I messed up the white sauce, it shouldve been thicker. I sprinkled a few slices of mozarella and added enoki mushrooms in it, and sprinkled not enough parmesan on top. The taste is alright for a 1st try, second time will be better.

Thx for sharing the recipe as well.

Comment

One of my fave kampung recipe is "Pepes Tahu" but I also like to make "Daging Lada Hitam". It's quite easy to make and its delicious. Of course I said it's delicious, it's my own cook.

For Daging LAda Hitam aka Blackpepper Beef you just need:
            - about 250-300 gr of meat, slice it thin
            - 2 cm of ginger
            - 3 garlic, sliced
            - 1/2 bawang bombay
            - 1 green and 1 red paprika or just cabe merah besar dan cabe hijau besar as many you like
            - 2 tbs oyster sauce
            - 3 tbs soysauce
            - salt
            - 1 1/2 teaspoon blackpepper, tumbuk kasar (what is the english for this words? lol)
            - 1 teaspoon of sugar

The step is like this
            - Boil the meat with salt and ginger (supaya tidak bau daging banget) and usually theres white/chocolate foam when it's boiled, I usually take it away. Actually you can add it right away with the stir fry garlic but I choose to boil it first to make sure it's tender enough. I'm a new cook
            - Stir fry garlic, bawang bombay and paprika, take half of it into a bowl (half of it used as final touch)
            - Add meat, oyster sauce, soysauce, blackpepper, sugar, salt (if its not salty enough) stir it well till it's thick enough then add it's broth
            - Put the half stir fry garlic, bawang bombay and paprika when it's done

I hope everybody understand my english or whatever I'm trying to explain here LMAO. I've tried to attach a pic of it but not sure if it's show up or not and I will gladly post about my easy pepes tahu next time tee hee
            Sorry for my broken english.....I'm still in learning mode

Comment

well i made this for foreign kampung food, but its okay lah if u didnt know

Next time do make a new thread.

Comment

well i made this for foreign kampung food, but its okay lah if u didnt know
                Well actually it's one of Chinese traditional food, but oh well

Next time do make a new thread.
                That's so sweet of you to concern

Comment

- 2 cm of ginger
                  - 3 garlic, sliced
                  - 1/2 bawang bombay
                  - 1 green and 1 red paprika or just cabe merah besar dan cabe hijau besar as many you like
                  - 2 tbs oyster sauce
                  - 3 tbs soysauce
                  - salt
                  - 1 1/2 teaspoon blackpepper, tumbuk kasar (what is the english for this words? lol)
                  - 1 teaspoon of sugar
                  hi

Comment

By "Kampung" I assume you mean rural home style cooking from foreigner's native countries. I am from the U.S.. One of my favorites is simple pot-roast. Most of the ingredients are common in Indonesia.

While a dutch oven is best, many types of pots/pans will work as long as the lid will cover well. If you have a small pot and small cooktop, just half the recipe.

I will try to convert some of the measurements to metric.

1.5 to 2 kilo chuck beef. Many types of tough beef can be used, but chuck has the best amount of connective tissue that will break down to collagen and a well balanced proportion of fat. It is preferable to round.
                    ~500 gram carrot - Cut in finger length pieces
                    ~500 gram potato - Cut in half
                    ~250 gram celery - Cut in finger length pieces
                    4 cloves of garlic
                    1 large onion or 2 medium onions
                    Salt Pepper
                    vegetable oil or beef fat

Braising liquid: approximately 400 ml beef stock, or 200 ml red wine and 200 ml water (I know, very difficult and expensive for Indonesia), or 400 ml beer (bintang zero if you can't have alcohol), or 150 ml juice (apple or tomato) 200 ml water and 50 ml vinegar. This is just the braising liquid and I will vary it on any day depending on my mood and taste.

Brown the beef. Either in the pot/pan you are going to roast in or if cooking over an open flame, over the flame. Sear on as high of a heat as possible until brown. Don't worry about the inside still being raw. This will give a nice crust and flavor when finished. Set meat aside.

Slice onion lengthwise into wedges. Separate layers of the onion and brown in pan with a little bit of fat. Crush the garlic and add to the pan for about one minute.
                    Deglaze pan with brazing liquid.
                    Add the meat, carrots, celery, and potatoes to the pan/pot.
                    Add salt and pepper to taste.

Cover pot.

Cook just over a low flame at just a simmer. If cooking in an oven, cook at 105 C. Cook for approximately 3 hours or until the beef can easily pull with a fork.
                    Let cool and slice beef against the grain.
                    If you want gravy, you can add 1 tablespoon of corn starch to 2 tablespoons of water. Mix well, then add to the simmering stock.

Knowing some Indonesian palates, you may want to serve with a side of sambal.

Comment

Originally posted by acquisto View Post
                      - 2 cm of ginger
                      - 3 garlic, sliced
                      - 1/2 bawang bombay
                      - 2 tbs oyster sauce
                      - 3 tbs soysauce
                      - salt
                      - 1 teaspoon of sugar
                      I think Acquisto was trying to steal my recipe XD

Comment

Have you ever hear about seblak tulang ??
                        deliciouse traditional food from Bandung, West Java Indonesia .

Try to make it your self and tell me the taste.
                        you can find how to make it from video in youtube .

Comment

Working...
                        X