conversion of 35mm colour slides to digital form

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• conversion of 35mm colour slides to digital form

Has anyone had experience with this in Jakarta, or in fact anywhere in the world? At the outset I am wondering if it is doable, practical and not too expensive. Or have I missed the boat?? I know that back 30 years ago Kodak shops would for a price make prints out of slides.

Any advice much appreciated. I am talking 1000's of slides here. Luckily I may be able to get my slide viewer to work so that I can pick the best ones easily.
    Thanks

Most fiji film shops will offer to do this, the reality is that they send them away (dunno where). Price will be a couple hundred dollars for 1000s.

Comment

I converted hundreds a while back by buying a scanner in Ambassador Mall with a slot for slides. It worked well. It looks and works like a normal scanner but with the facility to insert slides into the underside of the lid.
      Last edited by lantern; 31-03-14, 15:08.
      "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Great stuff thanks. I will look into both options. My standard scanner is no use, but a youtube video shows how it can be done with a piece of wax paper, the light from a handphone and a conventional scanner. It would seem that this way requires the slides to be pulled apart so that only the film is left on the glass. Messy. The operation I am hoping to do is rather big; I think I will need a purpose built device like Lantern has mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by johntap View Post
          Great stuff thanks. I will look into both options. My standard scanner is no use, but a youtube video shows how it can be done with a piece of wax paper, the light from a handphone and a conventional scanner. It would seem that this way requires the slides to be pulled apart so that only the film is left on the glass. Messy. The operation I am hoping to do is rather big; I think I will need a purpose built device like Lantern has mentioned.
          Even with the purpose built device it's a pretty long and tedious process especially if you have 1000's of slides. The end result it worth it though so hang in there.
          "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I've got a Canon Scanner, a few years old now, it's got an adapter to scan negatives, so to do my slides I had to pull them apart & put the film in the adapter, I had a lot of slides & I would just do maybe 10 or 20 each night, took months but like Lantern says, hang in there the end result is worth it.
            Last edited by macvert; 31-03-14, 16:28.
            The answer is 42 .... any questions? .

Comment

Had some done just recently at Adorama. Happy with results. Not too expensive at all.
              Things happen for a reason...

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle O'Brien View Post
                Had some done just recently at Adorama. Happy with results. Not too expensive at all.
                Worth pricing the job with them as the cost of a scanner may get them done.
                George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I preferred to do mine not only for the cost saving but also because I was able to restore / enhance as I went.

In addition I also found that I got a better result from scanning negatives than from scanning printed photos
                  The answer is 42 .... any questions? .

Comment

Working...
                  X