Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody play Go / Baduk / Wéiqí / Cờ Vây?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody play Go / Baduk / Wéiqí / Cờ Vây?

Hey folks,

I love the game of Go! I know it goes by many names, so no disrespect to anyone by calling it Go rather than by another name, it is just the easiest for me.

Unfortunately, I am yet to find people who play this game in Jakarta. It seems like chess is the game of choice in Indonesia.

So I am hoping that maybe this way I can meet some folks who enjoy playing and would want to meet up for a couple of games.

When I came to Indonesia I couldn't bring my own board and stones, so I have only played online for the last year. I am not too good, but love to play and learn. At the moment I am ranked at 12 kyu on Kiseido Go Server (KGS).

Would be great to hear from any other enthusiasts, even if you don't live in Jakarta or don't want to meet up for a game.

Any comments, discussions, etc. about the game are welcome in this thread.

Best wishes,

Hiram
    Last edited by Hiram; 17-05-13, 15:03. Reason: One typo and adding abbreviation for KGS.

No idea what the game is, could you explain? Thanks
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds[/COLOR]. Albert Einstein

Comment

Sure thing, jim.

It is a very old strategy game originating from China, which is also immensely popular in Japan, Korea and Vietnam and slowly but steadily also growing in popularity in the Western world. It has been used as a cultural reference in many movies, such as "A Beautiful Mind" and "Pi". Many comparisons between Go and Chess have been made in the past, but Go is much more complex than Chess in terms of possibilities and at the same time much more simple in the basic rules. You can learn to play it in 15 minutes to half an hour, but mastering it is a task for a lifetime, with no guarantee of success.

It is played by two players taking turns at placing their stones on the intersections of the lines of a board that features a 19 times 19 grid. One player plays black (he starts the game), the other plays white.

While the goal of the game of Chess is to conquer your opponent's King and casualties don't count, in Go you try to clear as much territory as possible while trying to let your opponent capture as few stones as possibly. Hence Kissinger once famously wrote about the Vietnam war that the reason for American's lack of success was that they were playing Chess (trying to take out Ho Chi Minh), while the Vietnamese were playing Go (making small, seemingly unrelated attacks in different parts of the country).

There is a very nice clip that introduces Go on youtube, which captures some of the fascination about the game and which you can find here:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irGmbwqqUNs

To read more about the game, you may also refer to the corresponding wikipedia article:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_(game)

If you like strategy games, it is definitely worth a try!

[FONT=Arial][COLOR=#000000]"[/COLOR][/FONT][COLOR=#444444][FONT=Open Sans]Student: What is the most complicated game man has ever created?
      [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#444444][FONT=Open Sans]Master: That would be chess.[/FONT][/COLOR]
      [COLOR=#444444][FONT=Open Sans]Student: What about go?[/FONT][/COLOR]
      [COLOR=#444444][FONT=Open Sans]Master: Go has always existed."[/FONT][/COLOR]
      Last edited by Hiram; 17-05-13, 15:01. Reason: Typos

Comment

Thanks, I will take a look later, internet too slow here for youtube.
        [COLOR=#ff0000]Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds[/COLOR]. Albert Einstein

Comment

No worries.

Since you have a quote by Einstein as your signature, I will share this anecdote about the great Chess champion Edward Lasker and Albert Einstein, which appeared in a little piece called "Einstein and Go" by Robert A. McAllister:

"Lasker and Albert Einstein were friends. On one occasion Lasker visited Einstein in Princeton and presented him with an autographed copy of Go and Gomoku [his groundbreaking work on the game of Go, which is widely considered as having introduced the game to a larger audience in the Western world].

In exchange, Einstein gave Lasker an autographed copy of one of his recent papers on relativity. Several years later, the autographed copy of Go and Gomoku showed up in a used bookstore in Baltimore. When told about this and asked what he thought of it, Lasker replied: 'That's all right. I left his relativity paper on the subway.'"

http://www.kiseido.com/einstein.htm

Comment

I take it nobody likes Go. Bummer.

Comment

Originally posted by Hiram View Post
              I take it nobody likes Go. Bummer.
              I was learning to play while I was in Japan many years ago. I was hospitalized for about half a year. My roommate in the hospital was a man about 55, who loved the game. We played for a few hours every day for several months. One night he passed away in the bed next to mine. I haven't played since. That's twenty five years ago.

I love the game "RISK" though and have a board if anyone's up for it...
              QUOTE: "Anybody who throws a few pieces of chicken or whatever meat they have onto a gas grill deserves what they get..."

Comment

Wow RISK, have not played that for years. Used to play it every wet weekend with my friends when we were kids.

So BBQ and a game of Risk sounds like a plan.

OR

Game of RISK over a pint in a nice bar

Comment

Dibs on yellow!!

Comment

I will use my own dice.....

Comment

Jim - I've heard from Hiram. PM me if interested - also any other RISK fans, can PM. We can sort out the details for next week!
                      QUOTE: "Anybody who throws a few pieces of chicken or whatever meat they have onto a gas grill deserves what they get..."

Comment

Working...
                      X