No announcement yet.

Sentul Hills hiking - Great week end activity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EG, thanks for sharing the info and your lovely photos!!! I've been looking around for ideas on where to take my visitor come June and this seems perfect. One question--did the guide talk at all about the area's wildlife? We're two nerdy biologists and for sure would love to incorporate some field observation into our hike...
    Last edited by cgksfo; 26-04-12, 13:49.
    "There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want."
    -Bill Watterson

Comment

Originally posted by Injun View Post
      Ah, the gorilla shoes. The missus have two pairs of these.

If you're walking through bushes, then of course you need something with cover. I wore convertible trousers, ones that can be converted into shorts by way of zippers. There's a local brand named Alpina that specializes in outdoor gear.
      Injun, not sure when was the last time you shopped for these convertible pants, but when i stocked up on my field/hiking attire in 2009 they were on their way out. I found plenty of shorts and pants, but found only one or two models of the convertible ones (Shants? Ports?). Annoying, really, as i too LOVE the versatility. Sadly haven't gone hiking again since then, so i wouldn't know if they are now back in style...
      -Bill Watterson

Comment

Originally posted by cgksfo View Post
        Injun, not sure when was the last time you shopped for these convertible pants, but when i stocked up on my field/hiking attire in 2009 they were on their way out. I found plenty of shorts and pants, but found only one or two models of the convertible ones (Shants? Ports?). Annoying, really, as i too LOVE the versatility. Sadly haven't gone hiking again since then, so i wouldn't know if they are now back in style...
        Oh, I searched Alpina's online store and saw them. Then again, that website probably hasn't been updated in a long time. I haven't been back in ages...

Comment

I asked about the wildlife and the guide said there were not many snakes but there were some wild pigs around. I'm sure he had much more to say but the language barrier made that difficult.

Comment

Thanks so much for the stunning and supportive post!
            It inspires us to keep working at training guides, developing higher standards and promoting Indonesia as an iconic treks and trails destination.

We'll be sure to let idGuides Community idGuides, Mas Dedy, hear of your praise for him - he's just back from another on-the job-training session with us in Ujung Kulon National Park - a 3-day schools expedition trek.

Comment

Hi cgksfo, KK idGuides here - best from the horses mouth on this one.
              In Sentul, there is not much wildlife, unfortunately - at most mongoose, bush pigs, that sort of thing.
              For biologists as your selves, best to head further afield although wildlife-spotting generally a challenge in a forest setting: Gunung Gede- Pangrango National Park at the closet for montane tropical forest, furthest in West Java for lowland coastal tropical forest an expedition trek in Ujung Kulon National Park.

Comment

Hi idGuides, do you offer guided tours for those locations? I used to be rather familiar with Gede-Pangrango and Salak but unfortunately haven't gone there in years. We're primarily interested in reptiles and amphibians and have years of experience spotting those ourselves while out and about, but i was just thinking it would be nice to have someone along that can point out the birds & mammals.

On a side note, i'm starting to feel like i'm derailing EG's thread here. Perhaps send me a PM?
                -Bill Watterson

Comment

I don't think you are derailing. I am sure this would be of interest to other people

Comment

As both a mod and a poster, I completely agree that continued discussion in the forum would be great.

Comment

I agree with Puspa and El Goretto. I might try Sentul Hills Hiking when I visit Indonesia.

Comment

please let me know if you have next schedule to visit Sentul hills
                        visit tokohemat online store

Comment

Suhardi, you need to contact idguides directly if you want to make arrangements to visit Sentul - they go all the time, but you need to make a reservation with them. Here's their website: www.idguides.org
                          [COLOR=#333333][/COLOR]

Comment

I think I first posted about this, including pics, sometime in 2008...

If you are adventurous, have time on your hands and your own vehicle, you certainly don't need guides. Get off at the Sentul City exit on the toll-road to Bogor. Drive to the back of Sentul City, and start there.
                            Last edited by Hombre de Maiz; 01-08-12, 12:39.

Comment

IS there a hiking group in Jakarta area where we can meet-up and go hiking together?

Comment

Originally posted by Kecak View Post
                                IS there a hiking group in Jakarta area where we can meet-up and go hiking together?
                                Check out Java Lava - you can find them at: http://javalavaindonesia.multiply.co...erstitial=1&u= (just wait, the ad will go away and their home page will come up). I have not hiked with them in several years, so my information may be out of date, but if they haven't changed you will find that the majority of their hikes are on the strenuous side.

Comment

Working...
                                X