Sentul Hills hiking - Great week end activity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sentul Hills hiking - Great week end activity

Following the advice of our wise Puspawarna (see the post I am referring to - thank you Puspawarna!), I made a booking with www.idguides.org for a guided hike in the hills around Sentul.

All I can say is that I was blown away. Everything about the hiking was good: the organisation, the staff, the concept (more on that in a sec) and moreover, the hike itself.

Basically, I called up one of the numbers on the website and talked to Krystyna who is one of the directors. She was just as a friendly as she was helpful and took my half-day hiking booking for Saturday morning. After a quick online registration, they had all the information (including fitness level, emergency contact, etc) needed to send me my booking confirmation via email with extensive preparation information as well as directions for the meeting point. Awesome.

On Saturday morning, I met with my friend at Citos (Cilandak Townsquare for the non-initiated) at 6.15am and from there we drove to the meeting point: Petrol station just after the Sentul City exit off Jagorawi tol. At this time of the day, it took us a grand total of only 30mn (and the driver was driving quite slow).
    We were supposed to leave with the convoy of other hiking guests and idguides.org organisers at 7.30am to drive to the starting point of the hike, a further 30mn away in the hills. But because we were early, our guide offered to take us there straight away, giving us an extra 30mn of hiking time.

Once at the starting point, after a quick check of the gear, off we went into the hills, walking through villages, jungles, rice fields, pine forests, etc. Despite our guide speaking little English, we were able to communicate, enough for me to appreciate how pleasant his company was. And this is an understatement. He was very patient, especially when I wanted to set up my tripod in the middle of the river, or when I had difficulties staying on my feet going downhill in the forest on muddy grounds. In addition, during our break halfway through the hike, he pulled out 2 stools for my friend and I as well as some coffee and tea that he had been carrying along in his backpack just for us!
    By 12pm, we arrived at the end of our hiking journey, we had sore feet and tensed calves but happy to have experienced it and looking forward to our next hike.

A word about idguides.org: this organisation trains locals extensively to Western standards into becoming hiking guides. Mas Dedy, our guide, was on training for one year following the above mentioned Krystyna in various parts of Java. He is a local from Sentul Hills and knows the area quite well. In fact, at one point we walked past his sister's house. Yet, during the week, he goes on reconnaissance treks to find new routes and to check the regular routes for dangers (land slides and what not) and on week-ends, he takes customers just like us to visit the hills.
    The organisation not only trains and employs locals, they also support local communities. One clear example that can be seen on the trek is that the traditional houses in the hill villages boast solar panels for electricity. It goes also without saying that the organisation is very respectful of the environment and it is refreshing to not see junk everywhere like it is the case all too often elsewhere.
    We did the half-day trek, which was quite challenging (especially lugging around my big camera and tripod around), but the organisation also offers 2/3 day treks, full day treks, as well as multi-day trips, all adjusted to customers' desires and fitness level.

Below are some photos of the journey I took up there.

Last edited by El_Goretto; 19-04-12, 16:13.

Comment

Last edited by El_Goretto; 19-04-12, 16:09.

Comment

Comment

Wow. I need photography lessons. I have taken a zillion pictures on Sentul hikes, and maybe one or two of them can hold a tiny, flickering, about-to-sputter-out candle to your sumptuous pictures. Excellent work - I'm deeply impressed! You are one heck of a photographer.

Comment

Nice report for a simple and easy trip - easier than to the airport
            but wow, great shots ...
            seem you realy enjoy the trip too

Comment

I'll add one photo though - yes, this is a cliche snapshot of a Sentul adventure, but oh-so-true if it rains during the hike.

6946886730_8852b31dbf_c.jpg
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the comments everyone

And yes I really enjoyed the hiking!

Puspawarna, it's funny that you posted this picture because I took one of my feet as well at the end of the hike and my shoes were in similar conditions

Comment

Nice hike and gorgeous pictures!

It sounds like great service, I'll recommend it to my relatives when they visit Jakarta.

When I was hiking in high school, I wore sandal gunung (mountain sandals). They were perfect for muddy areas because it was trivial to wash them in the closest creek. As the name implies, they were designed specifically for muddy hikes. The only time I donned my boots was during basic mountaineering training, but that was only because I had to cut a path and wanted to avoid sharp branches and leeches.

In case you're interested:
                  http://www.taseiger.com/produk-eiger/sandal-eiger

Comment

So beautiful photos!! I love the photo of the bamboo, I love bamboo kuning, could I ask you for a copy of that photo? I saw some paintings of bamboo and I really love it!!!

Thanks for sharing a beautiful hiking!!
                    Overcoming poverty is no a gesture of charity is an act of justice the protection of a fundamental human right to dignity..

Comment

El_Goretto, I am just curious, how much did you pay for the trip and hiking?
                      Overcoming poverty is no a gesture of charity is an act of justice the protection of a fundamental human right to dignity..

Comment

Originally posted by Injun View Post
                        Nice hike and gorgeous pictures!

It sounds like great service, I'll recommend it to my relatives when they visit Jakarta.

When I was hiking in high school, I wore sandal gunung (mountain sandals). They were perfect for muddy areas because it was trivial to wash them in the closest creek. As the name implies, they were designed specifically for muddy hikes. The only time I donned my boots was during basic mountaineering training, but that was only because I had to cut a path and wanted to avoid sharp branches and leeches.

In case you're interested:
                        http://www.taseiger.com/produk-eiger/sandal-eiger
                        Looks cool but I think I would have hurt in some spots as we were walking in some bush. My legs were covered in small scratches.

For shoes, I was using Vibram FiveFingers KSO TrekSport:

Originally posted by Shinta View Post
                        El_Goretto, I am just curious, how much did you pay for the trip and hiking?
                        It was Rp250,000 for the half-day hike, excluding drinks, snacks and toll fee but that wasn't much at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Shinta View Post
                          So beautiful photos!! I love the photo of the bamboo, I love bamboo kuning, could I ask you for a copy of that photo? I saw some paintings of bamboo and I really love it!!!

Thanks for sharing a beautiful hiking!!
                          Thank you for the compliment

In regards to the bamboo photo, I can provide you with a low resolution version for your private use on your computer, such as desktop wallpaper.

Comment

Awesome pics, EG ! Beautiful and very pleasant in the eyes.
                            Words can inspire, thoughts can provoke, but only action can get you closer to your dreams.

Comment

Originally posted by El_Goretto View Post
                              Looks cool but I think I would have hurt in some spots as we were walking in some bush. My legs were covered in small scratches.

For shoes, I was using Vibram FiveFingers KSO TrekSport:

Ah, the gorilla shoes. The missus have two pairs of these.

If you're walking through bushes, then of course you need something with cover. I wore convertible trousers, ones that can be converted into shorts by way of zippers. There's a local brand named Alpina that specializes in outdoor gear.
                              Last edited by Nimbus; 25-04-12, 13:21.

Comment

Working...
                              X