No announcement yet.

2nd Camera - micro four thirds?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, for what it's worth, I bought the first one available at JPC on Saturday And so far I love it! I'm taking it on my month long holiday and depending on how it goes, I may sell my 5D Mark 2.

Comment

• Ah and sorry, one more thing, Olympus is holding the grand launching of the OM-D E-M5 at Grand Indonesia this week, starts tomorrow.

Comment

• Originally posted by El_Goretto View Post
        Well, for what it's worth, I bought the first one available at JPC on Saturday And so far I love it! I'm taking it on my month long holiday and depending on how it goes, I may sell my 5D Mark 2.
        EG,
        congrat for the new toy
        expect to see your first hand review next month?
        what lens you take, 12-50mm or 14-42
        I'm interersted with this camera, mostly for uw, have checked the uw housing will be released on july, prices list more than USD 2000 incl. port
        i have 7-14 panny, would like to see the performance with this lens

Comment

• Simply put, this is the best m4/3 camera so far, with the best dynamic range, best low light performance, best AF, best IS (that is actually truly amazing). So using your 7-14 on it will give you better results than anything else you have used it with so far.

I got the 12-50mm and the 45mm f1.8 but I plan on selling the 12-50mm (interested? :P) and getting the Olympus 12mm f2.0 and a 25mm but not sure which, maybe the panasonic 25mm f1.4 or a 25mm f0.95 manual focus from either voigtlander or SLRmagic.

Comment

• Have you encountered any problems mentioned below?

I bought the OM-D after reading a couple of positive reviews online. I've been using it for a week and it's the worst camera I've ever used. They really should change its name to the Olympus OMG.

Egronomics of the camera is absolutely appalling. It is nothing like the OM series film bodies. The kit 12-50mm lens simply balances horribly on the camera body. Not just that, the function buttons are crowded next to the LCD and it's more tiring to use than a 70-200 on a pro DSLR. If you use your left eye on the EVF, you literally have to contort your face to use the camera. Your nose will be poking at the back buttons and there is no way that you can use those controls and the EVF at the same time. The textured surface has very little grip and you'll find yourself pinching the camera at the worst possible angle and it keeps slipping off. I suppose the grip might improve things a bit but at a cost of increasing bulk significantly. To make things worse, all the buttons feel incredibly mushy and unresponsive. It feels like a chinese £2 knockoff TV remote. The buttons have to be pressed at precisely the right angle or else it simply won't register a press. The included flash is yet another poorly conceived idea. There are 4 rubber components to remove before it can be attached to the camera, which can easily get lost. It feels like a flimsy piece of plastic that can snap off easily.

The menu hierachy of the OM-D looks like it's been designed by a school kid. I appreciate the capability to customise the buttons, but there's simply no logical structure to the camera. Even a more complex camera like the 7D is much easier to master. Simple functions like exposure bracketing in menus hidden behind menus behind another layer of menus. You can assign a particular function to a button, but anything not assigned is a nightmare to find. The poorly written instruction manual couldn't be less helpful. In my 1 week of usage, it froze 6 times at various times, eg. during image review, focusing, menu browsing etc. and wouldn't even switch off. A battery pull did work, though.

Although it feels relatively solid, the black paint has started flaking of at the bottom of the camera and near the memory card door. I find it difficult to believe that this £1150 camera has actually passed through some sort of quality control. Despite having a small size, the EVF hump makes the camera substantially larger, and has almost negligible space savings compared to an entry level DSLR.

AF is quick, but very lens dependent. It snaps to focus fine on the kit lens, but hunts significantly with an older lens like the 20mm. 3D tracking simply doesn't work. Only the first frame seems to be in focus whilst tracking a slow moving car.

Out of camera jpegs look too 'cooked' and the colours don't look accurate at all despite using a grey card, and AWB is a bit hit and miss. I suppose one could PP the raw files but who has time to manually change the white balance for every single frame.

I was also disappointed at the high ISO noise with NR set to off, sharpness -2 in RAW. Compared to my canon 7D, the RAW noise performance is about 1 stop worse. ISO3200 on the OM-D looks like ISO6400 on the 7D. Olympus still applies NR even when switched off, and there is smearing of fine details beyond ISO1600. What's worse is that the OM-D has an overstated ISO. Given the same scene, same aperture, shutter speed and ISO, it consistently underexposes about 1 stop compared to the 7D. Overstating the ISO makes high iso images cleaner, as the 'actual' ISO is about a stop lower.

The in body image stabilisation stabilises the viewfinder as well, which is one of the main reason I bought this camera. Manual focusing is easier with it. The downside is there's an unbearably loud whizzing and grinding sound coming from the camera IBIS system. It is certainly audible in a moderately noisy environment, and I would be embarrassed to use it in quieter places like in museums. It is incredibly annoying and what's worse is that it doesn't go away when switched off!

The kit lens is also horrible. Even though centre sharpness is acceptable, corner sharpness is horrendous. I was shocked once the images were transfered on to a PC. I thought it was the noise reduction at first, but I reattempted the shots at ISO200 and all the fine details are just mush. It's much worse than the £50 kit lens found in the Canon DSLRs. It's is also much slower than other kit lenses at F6.3. I have also noticed paint flaking out from the buttons and near the focusing ring after a week of usage.

There is little to say about the plusses of the camera. I suppose it is weather sealed, but I'd rather trade the weather sealing for buttons that work properly. The EVF displays live settings of the scene, but I'd very much prefer an optical viewfinder. It is also laggy at times and isn't on par with the Sony viewfinders. The OLED screen is also too vibrant for my taste. Battery life is about average, lasting about 200-250 shots with the EVF alone, and takes 6 hours to charge.

This is my take on the camera, and I'm returning it next week. It doesn't deserve the OM label and is frustratingly difficult to operate. It has been a torture to use the camera, and for prospective buyers, I strongly suggest actually testing the camera out in store, and compare it with alternatives such as the Fuji XPro1 or NEX-7. If you decide to buy it, I hope you don't regret that decision.

Comment

I got the 12-50mm and the 45mm f1.8 but I plan on selling the 12-50mm (interested? :P) .

Very interesting - I actualy searching more info of this lens for underwater.
              I'm quite happy with my 7-14mm, but once i put this lens, hv to stick for wa for the whole diving - then bye-bye all critters
              The 14-42, is not wide enough for wa and not enough magnification for macro, even I use stacked wet diopters.
              I expect the 12-50 is better compromize for typical diving condition in Indonesia, where you may see shark and pigmy seahorse in the same dive.
              What I need to check - whether it fit my semi dome port + zoom gear; and how good it work with wet diopter.
              I'll PM you once I get more info
              I will be pulang kampung on end of June, wish my luck to check this lens

Comment

• My response in blue:

Egronomics of the camera is absolutely appalling. It is nothing like the OM series film bodies. The kit 12-50mm lens simply balances horribly on the camera body. [COLOR=#0000ff]I don't know what this guy is talking about. I'm holding it in front of me right now and the camera balances just fine.[/COLOR] Not just that, the function buttons are crowded next to the LCD and it's more tiring to use than a 70-200 on a pro DSLR. [COLOR=#0000ff]That makes no sense either, how can you compare the use of a lens with the use of a few buttons?[/COLOR] If you use your left eye on the EVF, you literally have to contort your face to use the camera. Your nose will be poking at the back buttons and there is no way that you can use those controls and the EVF at the same time. [COLOR=#0000ff]That's kind of the same problem with all camera with a viewfinder at the top, such as my 5D2. Yeah my nose smears on the LCD screen but I don't really see the big deal. Doesn't bother me at all. [/COLOR]The textured surface has very little grip and you'll find yourself pinching the camera at the worst possible angle and it keeps slipping off. [COLOR=#0000ff]I think this person has 0 strength in his/her fingers and/or has very sweaty hands. I encounter no such problems.[/COLOR] I suppose the grip might improve things a bit but at a cost of increasing bulk significantly. It does increase bulk, just like any other grip/battery grip for any system. In return, you get to carry one extra battery, and all the controls are doubled. It also adds some custom Fn buttons. I haven't checked out the grips yet but I'm hoping I'll be able to do so at Grand Indonesia. To make things worse, all the buttons feel incredibly mushy and unresponsive. It feels like a chinese £2 knockoff TV remote. The buttons have to be pressed at precisely the right angle or else it simply won't register a press. [COLOR=#0000ff]I totally disagree with this. The buttons work just fine and I haven't had any problem at all. [/COLOR]The included flash is yet another poorly conceived idea. There are 4 rubber components to remove before it can be attached to the camera, which can easily get lost. It feels like a flimsy piece of plastic that can snap off easily. [COLOR=#0000ff]I haven't tried the flash at all because I never use on-camera flash. But I think it's a nice touch that a flash is included for those who need it.[/COLOR]

The menu hierachy of the OM-D looks like it's been designed by a school kid. I appreciate the capability to customise the buttons, but there's simply no logical structure to the camera. Even a more complex camera like the 7D is much easier to master. Simple functions like exposure bracketing in menus hidden behind menus behind another layer of menus. Wrong, the exposure bracketing is in fact very easy to get to. You can assign a particular function to a button, but anything not assigned is a nightmare to find. [COLOR=#0000ff]Wrong. Just press the OK button when shooting and all the functions are accessible in one screen. If shooting through the EVF, just cycle through the different modes and all the shortcuts are displayed on the LCD in a convenient mosaic.[/COLOR] The poorly written instruction manual couldn't be less helpful. In my 1 week of usage, it froze 6 times at various times, eg. during image review, focusing, menu browsing etc. and wouldn't even switch off. A battery pull did work, though. [COLOR=#0000ff]No problem so far.[/COLOR]

Although it feels relatively solid, the black paint has started flaking of at the bottom of the camera and near the memory card door. I find it difficult to believe that this £1150 camera has actually passed through some sort of quality control. No problem so far. I've heard that the silver one is more prone to scratches. I am suspecting sweaty and acidic hands again. Despite having a small size, the EVF hump makes the camera substantially larger, and has almost negligible space savings compared to an entry level DSLR. [COLOR=#0000ff]Come on, the camera is barely bigger than the E-P3. Just look at this comparison with the 1000D (which is a really crappy DSLR): http://j.mp/Iq9MUx. And don't forget to look at the side by side. Also, the m4/3 lenses are much smaller and lighter than any EF-S lens (not to mention EF lenses). Also, entry level DSLR are not weather sealed (nor are the lenses).[/COLOR]

AF is quick, but very lens dependent. It snaps to focus fine on the kit lens, but hunts significantly with an older lens like the 20mm. [COLOR=#0000ff]Could be due to an old motor in the 20mm lens. So far on the 12-50 and the 45mm, it's blazingly fast. Beats my 5D2 hands down. [/COLOR]3D tracking simply doesn't work. Only the first frame seems to be in focus whilst tracking a slow moving car. [COLOR=#0000ff]Only thing I've also read elsewhere (dpreview among others), it seems the C-AF is not very good. But I never use the C-AF so it doesn't bother me.[/COLOR]

Out of camera jpegs look too 'cooked' and the colours don't look accurate at all despite using a grey card, and AWB is a bit hit and miss. [COLOR=#0000ff]Well, that's what jpegs are. But people seem to praise the Olympus colors. I personally shoot RAW so I don't care.[/COLOR] I suppose one could PP the raw files but who has time to manually change the white balance for every single frame. [COLOR=#0000ff]Because I shoot RAW, I actually don't need to spend time with a grey card, picking the right WB, etc. In Lightroom, I only need to adjust the white balance on the first picture of a certain scene and 2 clicks later, I've copied the WB settings to all the other images in the same scene. It's much faster than trying to do it in camera and it's also more accurate since it's done on a big, color calibrated screen.[/COLOR]

I was also disappointed at the high ISO noise with NR set to off, sharpness -2 in RAW. Compared to my canon 7D, the RAW noise performance is about 1 stop worse. ISO3200 on the OM-D looks like ISO6400 on the 7D. Olympus still applies NR even when switched off, and there is smearing of fine details beyond ISO1600. What's worse is that the OM-D has an overstated ISO. Given the same scene, same aperture, shutter speed and ISO, it consistently underexposes about 1 stop compared to the 7D. Overstating the ISO makes high iso images cleaner, as the 'actual' ISO is about a stop lower. [COLOR=#0000ff]In camera noise reduction will never be as good as on the computer. The RAW files are not noise reduced but I find that lightroom does a fine job. This camera still has the best low light capabilities of all m4/3 and some reports say that it might even be better than the X-Pro1 or NEX-7.[/COLOR]

The in body image stabilisation stabilises the viewfinder as well, which is one of the main reason I bought this camera. Manual focusing is easier with it. The downside is there's an unbearably loud whizzing and grinding sound coming from the camera IBIS system. It is certainly audible in a moderately noisy environment, and I would be embarrassed to use it in quieter places like in museums. It is incredibly annoying and what's worse is that it doesn't go away when switched off! [COLOR=#0000ff]I barely hear it in my quiet house. This is an exaggeration.[/COLOR]

The kit lens is also horrible. Even though centre sharpness is acceptable, corner sharpness is horrendous. I was shocked once the images were transfered on to a PC. I thought it was the noise reduction at first, but I reattempted the shots at ISO200 and all the fine details are just mush. It's much worse than the £50 kit lens found in the Canon DSLRs. [COLOR=#0000ff]As a kit lens, it's about $150 and it's the only one that includes weather sealing, the choice between manual zoom ring operation or motor operated (for smooth zooming in and out when shooting video), adds an extra custom function button and also has macro! I think that's the best kit lens ever! And the image quality is acceptable for a kit lens at that price.[/COLOR] It's is also much slower than other kit lenses at F6.3. I have also noticed paint flaking out from the buttons and near the focusing ring after a week of usage. [COLOR=#0000ff]Sweaty acidic palms.[/COLOR]

There is little to say about the plusses of the camera. I suppose it is weather sealed, but I'd rather trade the weather sealing for buttons that work properly. [COLOR=#0000ff]Already addressed.[/COLOR] The EVF displays live settings of the scene, but I'd very much prefer an optical viewfinder. [COLOR=#0000ff]Optical viewfinder on a mirrorless camera brings other problems such parallax error, which I find worse.[/COLOR] It is also laggy at times and isn't on par with the Sony viewfinders. [COLOR=#0000ff]It's still an excellent viewfinder.[/COLOR] The OLED screen is also too vibrant for my taste. [COLOR=#0000ff]Saturation, contrast and brightness of the screen can be adjusted. Also, OLED screen FFS! Enough said. [/COLOR]Battery life is about average, lasting about 200-250 shots with the EVF alone, and takes 6 hours to charge. [COLOR=#0000ff]4 hours to charge.[/COLOR]

This is my take on the camera, and I'm returning it next week. It doesn't deserve the OM label and is frustratingly difficult to operate. It has been a torture to use the camera, and for prospective buyers, I strongly suggest actually testing the camera out in store, and compare it with alternatives such as the Fuji XPro1 or NEX-7. If you decide to buy it,
                I hope you don't regret that decision.

What I see is bugging this guy:
                - Doesn't know how to use the camera very well (lost in menus, misses functions, etc)
                - He wants a pocketable DSLR and that thing doesn't exist because of the law of physics.
                - He must have very sweaty and acidic fingers judging by the problems he encountered.
                - Maybe his camera is not working properly and he should exchange it? Because otherwise, I think it's not the same camera that I or dpreview or Steve Huff have been using.

Comment

• Originally posted by wisnupurwanto View Post
                  Very interesting - I actualy searching more info of this lens for underwater.
                  I'm quite happy with my 7-14mm, but once i put this lens, hv to stick for wa for the whole diving - then bye-bye all critters
                  The 14-42, is not wide enough for wa and not enough magnification for macro, even I use stacked wet diopters.
                  I expect the 12-50 is better compromize for typical diving condition in Indonesia, where you may see shark and pigmy seahorse in the same dive.
                  What I need to check - whether it fit my semi dome port + zoom gear; and how good it work with wet diopter.
                  I'll PM you once I get more info
                  I will be pulang kampung on end of June, wish my luck to check this lens
                  I'm coming back mid-June so shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

[COLOR=#0000ff]Sweaty acidic palms.[/COLOR]
                    Thanks a bunch for addressing his problems. I especially love the bit I've highlighted above. :P

This is looking more and more likely to be my next camera. I'm so excited and I haven't even bought it yet!

Comment

• Well, we can start an OM-D club then...just bought it in Belgium and will take it with me next weekend.

A customer in the shop tested the camera with all his lenses btw; was quite excited.
                      [FONT=arial black]
                      [/FONT]

Comment

• I just saw OM-D at KL Sentral Olympus store for 4499 RM couple day ago, though I'm sure I can find them cheaper at Low Yat. How much is it in Jakarta?
                        Sergei - Your friendly neighborhood IT consultant.

Comment

• JPC kemang offer
                          New...!!! OM-D E-M5 Kit with M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm f/3.5-6.3 EZ Price Price Rp 13.650.000 with OCCI warranty

you may get slightly cheaper at other shop without OCCI warraty.

Comment

• I'm currently sitting at Grand Indonesia sipping a coffee as I made thre trip to see the OM-D launch event there and it's quite disappointing. You can manipulate a dummy camera with battery grip if you wish but that's about it. They have the full lens line up but the only one I was interested in (12mm f2) is a dummy. Also, they have some accessories on display (grip, eye cup, etc) but nothing is available yet. Also, the OM-D with kit lens is Rp14jt there.

Comment

• Just when you thought the megapixel wars were over! 4/3 sensors are approaching the same resolution as large sensor compacts.

Pixel pitch for different cameras:

Canon G12 - 2.03 microns (1/7" sensor)
                              Nikon P7000 - 2.1 microns (1/7" sensor)
                              Oly OM-D - 3.22 microns (4/3 format)
                              Nikon D3200 - 3.85 microns (24 MP DX format)
                              Canon G1X - 4.16 microns (larger size sensor)
                              Oly EP-3 - 4.24 microns (4/3 format)
                              Canon 7D - 4.30 microns (APS-C)
                              Nikon D7000 - 4.78 microns (DX)
                              Nikon D800 - 4.88 microns (DX)
                              Canon 5D Mk 3 - 6.08 microns (FX)
                              Nikon D4 - 7.3 microns (FX)
                              Nikon D700/D3/D3S - 8.45 microns (FX)

A Nikon D4X with the same pitch as the D3200 would be about 55.7 megapixels! "Optimum" pixel pitches (trade off between noise and detail/dynamic range) quoted in the literature have varied between 5 microns (based on a paper at Stanford) and 6.5 microns (as estimated by Prof. R.N. Clark at MIT). I predict an EOS 5D Mk IV with a pixel pitch matching that of the EOS 7D at some point.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by jstar View Post
                                Well, we can start an OM-D club then...just bought it in Belgium and will take it with me next weekend.

A customer in the shop tested the camera with all his lenses btw; was quite excited.

JS,
                                How much you paid in belgium?
                                I just stopped by at Schipol SEE BUY FLY, their price of this camera € 1169.00
                                and in the city, the price is € 1299.00 w/ SD card bonus - more expensive than Jakarta.

Comment

Working...
                                X