2nd Camera - micro four thirds?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Statements Olympus America’s DSLR product manager in 2010:

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]1) The E-System will be completely mirrorless in two years time.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]2) Fully electronic shutter could be introduced that would make extremely high frames rates such as 20fps possible[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]3) AF system in the Pen cameras will be as fast as that in the E system DSLRs[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]4) The FourThirds lenses will be used on smaller and lighter more modern bodies[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]5) 14 million pixels are more than enough[/FONT][/COLOR]
    Last edited by jstar; 27-02-12, 00:14. Reason: The OM-D is 16+ megapixel btw
    [FONT=arial black]
    [/FONT]

Comment

New Pentax K-01

APS/C sensor. 16.3 MP. Should be around $900.

[FONT=arial black]
      [/FONT]

Comment

I've held off posting this because it's a f'ing ugly camera! :P

Comment

And bulky too. But if you have the lenses...
          [FONT=arial black]
          [/FONT]

Comment

But that lens is sexy...make it 20% bigger and give me 1.8 and I just might buy one. I love pancake prime lenses, too bad they don't make more in a couple of different focal lengths.

Comment

For those who are not so interested in interchangeable lenses, the new Canon Powershot G1 X could make a lot of sense.

The only drawbacks are slow autofocus and video mode. Everything is relative of course, that's compared with other top of class cameras. Image quality and high ISO performance (low light) seem to be superb.

With this camera Canon introduces a 'new' big sized sensor:
              [FONT=arial black]
              [/FONT]

Comment

Yeah, I've been reading the dpreview review today. Looks like a good little camera but the autofocus is quite the killer for me. Also, 1.9fps continuous shooting mode is not much :S But if that's the direction Canon is heading to for a potential mirrorless interchangeable lens camera, it could be good.

Comment

How about that?

50mm F0.95, USD1,000 for the M4/3 mount

http://noktor.com/products.php

Comment

Originally posted by wisnupurwanto View Post
                    yes, OM-D is beautiful - I'm eyeing this camera
                    seem a good choice to replace my EPL-1 and E-650.
                    waiting more info for the UWhousing and dome port availability - to suit my panny 7-14mm.
                    With pixels less than 4 microns I hope they're able to do something about increasing the sensor SNR.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by lone_ranger View Post
                      With pixels less than 4 microns I hope they're able to do something about increasing the sensor SNR.
                      The reviews say that the high ISO performance is really good. Up to ISO6400, the quality is excellent. It ticks all the right boxes for me: good low light performance, excellent autofocus, portability, looks, customisability, lens choice (mmmhhh 45mm f1.8 :P), and some nice extras such as the built in viewfinder, tilt touch screen and weather sealing.

Comment

• Looking at the DPREVIEW high ISO (raw) samples one starts to see luminance noise at ISO 1600 and above, but still useable up to about 3200 or 6400 if combined with some judicious noise reduction in Lightroom. Pretty impressive for a 4/3s sensor. The resolution is incredible (and it has to be for such a high pixel density), and this after looking at 100% crops and comparing to both full frame and APS-C cameras. This would make a great B&W street camera - small and light, weather sealed, excellent resolution, and fast autofocus.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Agree. Just two concerns I would have: future of Olympus and the fogging of the viewfinder (hopefully they fix this before production).
                          [FONT=arial black]
                          [/FONT]

Comment

• They've been around for over 90 years and have a knack for re-inventing themselves. They did come clean over the previous "middle man" scandal. I'd be more worried about getting a lens that can take advantage of all that resolution, ca. 135 lpm, putting it near the top for "large sensor" digicams.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Olympus OM-D E-M5 Review at DPreview - seem very promising

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusem5/22

quote:
                              The Olympus OM-D E-M5 is certainly the most capable Micro Four Thirds cameras we've reviewed and arguably the most likeable mirrorless model yet. It falls down a little bit on its continuous focusing but we have no absolutely no complaints about the image quality. It's small, attractive and a pleasure to use, and its pictures are equally enjoyable.

Comment

• *sigh* too many amazing cameras and only two hands to use them and one neck to hang them on.

Comment

Working...
                                X