No announcement yet.

2nd Camera - micro four thirds?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it'll be an Olympus ZX1 for me, or the Canon S95 (if the price is good enough). Still no "perfect" compact APS-C camera quite yet.

Comment

I was gonna dig this thread out because... the new Fujifilm's been leaked! It's called the X-Pro1 and it looks awesome:

[COLOR=#272727][FONT=Lucida Grande]We now know that the camera will offer a custom 16MP CMOS sensor, use Fujifilm’s EXR processor technology, feature a second-generation hybrid viewfinder, and be launched with 3 fast prime lenses (18mm f/2, 35mm f/1.4, and 60mm f/2.4).
      [/FONT][/COLOR]

Source: Petapixel

My guess (and everyone else's) is that it's gonna be officially announced with some hands-on previews at CES next week.
      Attached Files

Comment

Wow, Contax G2 look-a-like!

They mention prices of 1300 euro; hmm, that's more than the X100.

So it has a completely new APS-C sensor, right? Is the hybrid viewfinder the same as the one on the X100 you talked about? Not very clear if it will use focal plane or central/leaf shutter.
        Last edited by jstar; 06-01-12, 17:46.
        [FONT=arial black]
        [/FONT]

Comment

I like the look but I would have preferred if they kept the look of the X100

This baby's gonna be quite expensive... It better be good! It does have an APS-C sensor and the same type of hybrid viewfinder as the X100 albeit a second generation one. It will also use a new processor which is supposed to deliver very fast autofocus. Also, metal fujinon lenses

Not sure about the shutter. I'll post details as soon as I find out more!

Comment

According to the original article in French:
            - It turns out that the 1300 EUR will include body + 35mm lens (53mm full frame equivalent). The other lenses will be around 600EUR each
            - The new APS-C sensor will offer a very high resolution thanks to some kind of new technique which removes the need for a moire filter and thus increases the resolution.
            - The hybrid viewfinder will still offer both optical and digital viewfinder but the novelty is that the optical (yes optical!) viewfinder will automatically zoom in to match the focal length of the attached lens to reduce parallax error. Awesome!
            - The lenses will be completely made of metal with a perfectly circular diaphragm.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbit_39 View Post
              I think it'll be an Olympus ZX1 for me, or the Canon S95 (if the price is good enough). Still no "perfect" compact APS-C camera quite yet.
              wait 1-2 months for the new flagship canon Power-Shot, G1X http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/9/268...e-release-date
              large sensor, 6.3 x larger than the G12, slightly larger than 4/3rd , and it's compact camera, not DSLR nor EVIL.

Comment

Yes, very interesting if you're not into detachable lenses. Don't understand very well why Canon did not take that step as well, esp. since they have a huge DSLR user base (with EF-S or FD mount lenses). So in fact their vision is the opposite of Nikon who kept a smaller sensor in the V1 and J1, but they support the F-mount lenses.

Sensor looks very good, to get the full story one will have to wait for testing of the (2.8) lens. Looks a bit bulky (compared to a NEX-3 for instance) but that could be an optical illusion.

[FONT=arial black]
                [/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by El_Goretto View Post
                  .. the new Fujifilm's been leaked! It's called the X-Pro1 and it looks awesome.

My guess (and everyone else's) is that it's gonna be officially announced with some hands-on previews at CES next week.

Hmm, quite bulky compared to NEX-7 (which is already substantially bigger than a NEX-5N); it's even bigger than the X100
                  [FONT=arial black]
                  [/FONT]

Comment

I think Canon will nt go into the size battle
                    that's one of the reason Canon does not go into EVIL competition. With their lens, can't compete on size.
                    sure Canon can build compact EVIL but will be akward and not ergonomic with the existing lens.

Comment

Originally posted by jstar View Post
                      Hmm, quite bulky compared to NEX-7 (which is already substantially bigger than a NEX-5N); it's even bigger than the X100
                      It's also the same size as the Leica M9!

Full disclosure from Fujifilm has come out. It's a plane shutter in camera, by opposition to the leaf shutter in-lens of the X100.
                      They also claim that their new sensor will outdo the resolution of the 5dmk2.

It all sounds good but I have some concerns:
                      - it's big
                      - it's expensive
                      - no word so far on AF which was a weak point of the X100
                      - the lenses have a focus by wire ring rather than mecanical. It's supposed to be improved over the x100 but I'm still worried

Btw, it will also have a M-mount adapter to fit some Leica lenses

Comment

Just when I thought I had found solace: Olympus come up with their own retro style camera: http://www.petapixel.com/2012/01/17/...28PetaPixel%29

Comment

Oh my goodness!

Is the marketing slogan they used recently; I liked the O M cameras at the time.

Will it be a Micro Four Thirds?

[FONT=arial black]
                          [/FONT]

Comment

Comparison DMC-GX1 and NEX-5N

[FONT=arial black][SIZE=3]Winner is the NEX-5N.[/SIZE][/FONT]

DPREVIEW gave more or less the same conclusion after testing the Panasonic; great camera but not better than its competitors...
                            Reasons to buy the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
                            Significantly less startup delay 1400 ms vs 1900 ms - Around 30% less delay when turning on
                            More lenses available 26 lenses vs 8 lenses - Around 3.5x more lenses available
                            Built-in flash Yes vs No - A built-in flash is useful for taking indoor shots where there is little light
                            Significantly longer exposures 60s vs 30s - 2x longer exposures

Reasons to buy the SONY NEX-5N
                            Much better image quality 77.0 vs 55.0 - 40% better image quality
                            Significantly lower noise at high ISO 1.079 ISO vs 703 ISO - The NEX-5N has a slight edge (0,6 f-stops) in low noise, high ISO performance
                            Better color depth 23,6 bits vs 20,8 bits - Distinguishes 2,8 more bits of color
                            Significantly higher resolution screen 920k dots vs 460k dots - 2x higher resolution screen
                            More dynamic range 12,7 EV vs 10,6 EV - 2,1 f-stops more dynamic range
                            Supports 24p Yes vs No - Get that real film feel
                            Better maximum light sensitivity 25,600 ISO vs 12,800 ISO - The NEX-5N's maximum light sensitivity is 1 f-stop better
                            Can create panoramas in-camera Yes vs No - Stitches together multiple photos for a wide perspective
                            Has a flip-out screen Yes vs No - Flip-out screens can be helpful when composing tricky shots or taking movies
                            Significantly longer battery life 460 shots vs 310 shots - Around 50% more shots per battery charge
                            Significantly larger sensor APS-C 23.4x15.6mm vs Four thirds 17.3x13.0mm - More than 60% larger sensor
                            Shoots faster 10 fps vs 4.2 fps - Around 2.5x faster continuous shooting
                            Smaller 111x59x38 mm vs 116x68x39 mm - Around 20% smaller
                            Lighter 269 g vs 318 g - Around 20% lighter
                            Slightly cheaper 522,99 € vs 570,20 € - The best price we've seen is 47 € cheaper (around 10% less)
                            [FONT=arial black]
                            [/FONT]

Comment

[COLOR=#333333]For my coming birthday my wife wanted to buy me the NEX-5N, but none in stock, she checked four stores. And the Panasonic is SG$ 100 more expensive and has a very disappointing 14-42mm lens. So will need to wait a bit or buy in JKT or Europe.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333]The new Olympus O M will be very expensive; 1100 EUR for body only...but it's a beauty:

[/COLOR]
                              Last edited by jstar; 26-02-12, 21:56.
                              [FONT=arial black]
                              [/FONT]

Comment

yes, OM-D is beautiful - I'm eyeing this camera
                                seem a good choice to replace my EPL-1 and E-650.
                                waiting more info for the UWhousing and dome port availability - to suit my panny 7-14mm.

Comment

Working...
                                X