No announcement yet.

2nd Camera - micro four thirds?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, all feedback and info on new models appreciated...and I who thought I would have the camera before a Bali trip in two weeks time. Not.
    [FONT=arial black]
    [/FONT]

Comment

Hmmm, Nikon V1 with a pancake f1.8 lens....

Comment

Dark clouds over Olympus...

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2098115,00.html

L
        ooked at the Panasonic btw, very interesting but announced for December.
        Interview with PM (interesting, GX line) and small demo, the camera is smaller than you would expect from the pics:
        http://www.dpreview.com/news/1111/11...einterview.asp
        Last edited by jstar; 09-11-11, 05:22.
        [FONT=arial black]
        [/FONT]

Comment

This doesn't bode well for Olympus. Even worst was firing the President for uncovering it.
          sigpic

Comment

Don't mean to derail but, could you advise on a 2 to 3 million rupiah, point and shoot, for non techie when it comes to cameras?
            "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I'd say stick with any of the brand names (casio, panasonic, olympus, canon, nikon, etc). Most will give you good results. You just have to pick the features such as:
              - zoom range
              - ruggedness/waterproofness
              - touch screen
              - etc

try them out at the stores to find one you like using (try the menus)

Comment

Originally posted by lantern View Post
                Don't mean to derail but, could you advise on a 2 to 3 million rupiah, point and shoot, for non techie when it comes to cameras?
                I've tried Nikon, Olympus, and Sony compact cameras but have not been very impressed. I would get a Canon, any Canon really. They seem to make the best compact cameras and the quality is consistent across the various product lines. This one retails for about Rp3.000.000,00 at JPC Kemang.

[COLOR=#810081]http://www.canon.com.sg/personal/pro...anguageCode=EN[/COLOR]
                sigpic

Comment

Have visited some shops in Spore; the X100 is really much cheaper. NEX-7 not available (yet).
                  [FONT=arial black]
                  [/FONT]

Comment

Rabbit: I've had a look recently and there was a somewhat bewildering array of cameras on offer from about 1 to 4 million. I need to do some homework and narrow down what it is I actually want.

Lone: I'll check that out. 3 mil seems a good price as it's $529 on the website.
                    "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
                    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

To help you with choosing your camera, have you checked out this site? It was released a few days ago: http://camerasize.com/compare/

I
                      t lets you compare camera dimensions. You can even do a 1:1 comparison on your screen. It's quite awesome.
                      Last edited by El_Goretto; 12-11-11, 20:07.

Comment

Cool. Quite a difference between NEX-5N and NEX-7. Thought the 7 would be smaller...
                        [FONT=arial black]
                        [/FONT]

Comment

what about the nikon 1 j1 or the slightly bigger 1 v1?

i'm actually considering to get the v1, but keen to hear opinions on it.
                          Last edited by bow chicka wow wow; 14-11-11, 02:03.

Comment

Originally posted by bow chicka wow wow View Post
                            what about the nikon 1 j1 or the slightly bigger 1 v1?
                            Be careful with this one, Chicka. Like Lone said, it is getting close to the micro 4/3 format, but it's not quite there yet.

I think I can safely state that sensor+lens are most important. And the sensor size is somewhat smaller. But having said that, many say the quality approaches the PEN and NEX. And the 1 Nikkor lenses are quite nice.

This is a comparison of some key items in which the NEX excels. The [COLOR=#b22222]NEX-5N[/COLOR] is the red column on the left, [COLOR=#0000cd]V1[/COLOR] is blue on the right. These are from an 'independent' digital camera website:
                            Much better
                            image quality
                            [COLOR=#b22222]77.0[/COLOR] vs [COLOR=#0000cd]54.0[/COLOR] More than 40% better image quality
                            Much better color depth [COLOR=#b22222]23,6 bits[/COLOR] vs [COLOR=#0000cd]21,3 bits[/COLOR] Distinguishes around 5x more colors
                            Much more dynamic range [COLOR=#b22222]12,7 EV[/COLOR] vs [COLOR=#0000cd]11 EV[/COLOR] 2,1 f-stops more dynamic range
                            Much larger sensor [COLOR=#b22222]APS-C 23.4x15.6mm[/COLOR] vs [COLOR=#0000cd]1" 13.2x8.8mm[/COLOR] More than 3x larger sensor

And these are some advantages of the [COLOR=#0000cd]V1[/COLOR]:
                            Faster autofocus [COLOR=#0000cd]Phase detection[/COLOR] vs [COLOR=#b22222]Contrast detection[/COLOR] Catch candid moments easily
                            Shoots much faster [COLOR=#0000cd]60 fps[/COLOR] vs [COLOR=#b22222]10 fps[/COLOR] 6x faster continuous shooting
                            Faster video autofocus [COLOR=#0000cd]Phase detection[/COLOR] vs [COLOR=#b22222]Contrast detection[/COLOR] Shoot videos without worrying about focus

Last but not least, the price is approx. $350 higher than some of the 'better' micro 4/3 and APS-C cameras. For me it would be a no brainer if Nikon would have used a bigger sensor. But now?
                            Last edited by jstar; 14-11-11, 16:44.
                            [FONT=arial black]
                            [/FONT]

Comment

Interesting new lens. Press release.

Hong Kong, China (November 11, 2011) - SLR Magic expands the micro four thirds lens lineup with the new SLR Magic HyperPrime 12mm F1.6 ultra wide angle lens. With this latest addition, the portfolio of lenses for the micro four thirds system is now comprised of five focal lengths. The world's fastest lens in this focal length, the SLR Magic HyperPrime 12mm F1.6 will be available in November 2011.
                              The field of view of this new HyperPrime Lens corresponds to a 24mm lens in 35mm format and this ultra fast wide angle of view opens up many new creative composition opportunities, particularly in the fields of interior, architectural and landscape cinematography and photography. Additionally, an ultra fast max aperture of F1.6 makes the SLR Magic HyperPrime 12mm F1.6 ideal for available-light photography.
                              We place our highest priority in the development of all HyperPrime lenses to fulfill the demands of professional cinematographers and photographers. The design and build of the SLR Magic HyperPrime 12mm F1.6 is solid and reliable. The SLR Magic HyperPrime 12mm F1.6 will be available from authorized SLR Magic dealers end November 2011.
                              [FONT=arial black]
                              [/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by jstar View Post
                                Be careful with this one, Chicka. Like Lone said, it is getting close to the micro 4/3 format, but it's not quite there yet.

I think I can safely state that sensor+lens are most important. And the sensor size is somewhat smaller. But having said that, many say the quality approaches the PEN and NEX. And the 1 Nikkor lenses are quite nice.

This is a comparison of some key items in which the NEX excels. The [COLOR=#b22222]NEX-5N[/COLOR] is the red column on the left, [COLOR=#0000cd]V1[/COLOR] is blue on the right. These are from an 'independent' digital camera website:
                                Much better
                                image quality
                                [COLOR=#b22222]77.0[/COLOR] vs [COLOR=#0000cd]54.0[/COLOR] More than 40% better image quality
                                Much better color depth [COLOR=#b22222]23,6 bits[/COLOR] vs [COLOR=#0000cd]21,3 bits[/COLOR] Distinguishes around 5x more colors
                                Much more dynamic range [COLOR=#b22222]12,7 EV[/COLOR] vs [COLOR=#0000cd]11 EV[/COLOR] 2,1 f-stops more dynamic range
                                Much larger sensor [COLOR=#b22222]APS-C 23.4x15.6mm[/COLOR] vs [COLOR=#0000cd]1" 13.2x8.8mm[/COLOR] More than 3x larger sensor

And these are some advantages of the [COLOR=#0000cd]V1[/COLOR]:
                                Faster autofocus [COLOR=#0000cd]Phase detection[/COLOR] vs [COLOR=#b22222]Contrast detection[/COLOR] Catch candid moments easily
                                Shoots much faster [COLOR=#0000cd]60 fps[/COLOR] vs [COLOR=#b22222]10 fps[/COLOR] 6x faster continuous shooting
                                Faster video autofocus [COLOR=#0000cd]Phase detection[/COLOR] vs [COLOR=#b22222]Contrast detection[/COLOR] Shoot videos without worrying about focus

Last but not least, the price is approx. $350 higher than some of the 'better' micro 4/3 and APS-C cameras. For me it would be a no brainer if Nikon would have used a bigger sensor. But now?
                                thanks for this, jstar. i'm quite disappointed to see the comparison side by side as i was quite enthralled by the v1.

Comment

Working...
                                X