No announcement yet.

2nd Camera - micro four thirds?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You may like the Olympus XZ-1, Rabbit. F1.8 at the wide end, and F2.5 at the long end. Small and pocketable. The sensor is a peculiar size, 1/1.63", so slightly larger than the ones in the G12/S95 and P7000.
    Last edited by lone_ranger; 04-11-11, 13:49.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hombre de Maiz View Post
      An f/2 lens on 4/3 gives you the same blur or amount of bokeh as an f/4 lens on full-frame. Quite a lot of money to pay for a lens that ultimately won't give you that much bokeh.
      But are there any full-frame mirrorless cameras besides the Leica? The X100 comes close I guess. But both are rather bulky, then you ask yourself what's the use... Sigma perhaps? Could Ricoh get a full frame on the GXR? Probably not (APS-C is maximum?). So then we get back to APS-C. And the NEX, barf.......sorry, keyboard is clean again.

Welcome back btw.
      [FONT=arial black]
      [/FONT]

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony comes up with a full frame NEX soon. They seem to be phasing out their DSLR business. Probably not worth competing with Canon and Nikon. Mirrorless will offer them a stronger market differentiation. The line up is still a bit weak in terms of available lenses, so one does not get the feeling that one is investing in a "system", similar to the full Canon/Nikon lens and body line up. They certainly have an edge in manufacturing capabilities and R&D, so I would expect big things from them in future.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lone_ranger View Post
          You may like the Olympus XZ-1, Rabbit.
          Yep, sounds like a new niche, fixed lenses rather high quality just underneath the micro 4/3. Just like the Fuji X10 and the Nikon V1.
          [FONT=arial black]
          [/FONT]

Comment

So far there are only 7 true compact cameras on the market with large sensors, made by Leica, Sigma and Fuji. The Ricoh GXR system is as good as pocketable too, making it 10 choices in total. Fuji has set a new standard with the X100, and now I guess we are all waiting for a selection of brands with large sensor/viewfinder/fast lense to pop up in the market! Personally I would guess on one of the innovators on the market, like Samsung or Panasonic, to come up with the perfect compact rather than Nikon, Canon or even Sony. But how imminent is it?

Comment

The x100 isn't quite compact enough for me, in case you intended to group them with the others. I would own and use an x100 after I got my d7000 and my small compact with larger sensor. I guess after all this time I still haven't learned. Though I have been able to narrow down my "perfect" lense kit to a handful, perhaps not so with the cameras themselves. Will look at the other ones similar to the olympus. Perhaps even the olympus itself. Or keep waiting? Urgh.

Comment

Yeah, but you can keep on waiting then. Just like cellphones and cars; they always announce better ones...

Anybody have experience with this JPC Kemang store?
                http://www.jpckemang.com/category.php?cid=2987646203ee60b7f746f5&sid=112023 73383ee699fddafa5
                I
                t has been mentioned on this forum before, and they don't seem expensive, but couldn't find anything on after sales etc.
                Last edited by jstar; 06-11-11, 16:34.
                [FONT=arial black]
                [/FONT]

Comment

I never really expect after sales service from the stores I buy from. If I get them fine, if I don't, oh well. But it also means I expect the best price. I have been to that store. Perhaps it was my shorts/crocs and tshirts look, but they wouldn't let me try a couple of cameras. Showed it to me, but wouldn't turn it on. "It will be used" they said. Otherwiise, quite complete. I will probably go back and get one or two of those 5-in-1 folding reflectors

Comment

Yes I hate that. Same happened to me in Spore when looking at the X100; would not insert the battery etc. I can understand they want to keep it pristine but with that mentality I'd rather buy (cheaper) online. Remember two good stores in LA and NL; if they knew you as a serious customer they would even let you use the camera for a couple of days.

Perhaps a baby shower at EL_G's place? We bring some diapers and can eat cake or 'beschuit met muisjes' (biskuit dengan tikus kecil / tostas ratoncitos) and try his X100 in the mean time...

Last edited by jstar; 06-11-11, 17:21.
                    [FONT=arial black]
                    [/FONT]

Comment

Price Info

[SIZE=3][FONT=courier new][COLOR=#000000]CAMERA [/COLOR][COLOR=#ff8c00]EU[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] [/COLOR][COLOR=#008000]USA [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000ff]JKT[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
                      [SIZE=3][FONT=courier new][COLOR=#000000]SONY NEX-7 (body only) [/COLOR][COLOR=#ff8c00]€1.200[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] [/COLOR][COLOR=#008000]$1,200[/COLOR]
                      [COLOR=#000000]SONY NEX-5 (with 18-55 lens) [/COLOR][COLOR=#ff8c00]€639 [/COLOR] [COLOR=#008000]$698 [/COLOR] [COLOR=#0000ff]Rp 6.795.000[/COLOR]
                      [COLOR=#000000]SIGMA DP2x [/COLOR][COLOR=#ff8c00]€498[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] [/COLOR][COLOR=#008000]$805[/COLOR]
                      [COLOR=#000000]FUJIFILM X100 [/COLOR][COLOR=#ff8c00]€1.045[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] [/COLOR][COLOR=#008000]$1,150 [/COLOR] [COLOR=#0000ff]Rp 10.835.000[/COLOR]
                      [COLOR=#000000]RICOH GXR (with 50 mm APS-C) [/COLOR][COLOR=#ff8c00]€868[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] [/COLOR][COLOR=#008000]$1,000[/COLOR]
                      [COLOR=#000000]OLYMPUS PEN E-P3 (2 lenses) [/COLOR][COLOR=#ff8c00]€963 [/COLOR] [COLOR=#008000]$1,525 [/COLOR] [COLOR=#0000ff]Rp 10.400.000[/COLOR]
                      [COLOR=#000000][COLOR=#222222][COLOR=#000000]OLYMPUS PEN E-P3 [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000](14-42mm) [/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=#ff8c00]€849[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] [/COLOR][COLOR=#008000]$899 [/COLOR] [COLOR=#0000ff]Rp 8.500.000[/COLOR]
                      [COLOR=#000000]OLYMPUS PEN E-PL3 (2 lenses) [/COLOR][COLOR=#ff8c00]€674 [/COLOR] [COLOR=#008000]$845 [/COLOR] [COLOR=#0000ff]Rp 8.500.000[/COLOR]
                      [/FONT][COLOR=#000000][FONT=arial][FONT=courier new]LEICA M9-P (no lens) [/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#ff8c00][FONT=arial][FONT=courier new]€5.995 [/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#008000][FONT=arial][FONT=courier new]$8,500 [/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=arial][FONT=courier new]Rp 73.480.000[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=arial][FONT=courier new]
                      [/FONT]
                      [/FONT][SIZE=2]Tomorrow is a public holiday in Spore, will try to get that info too.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]
                      Last edited by jstar; 07-11-11, 00:53. Reason: can't apply a table on existing text
                      [FONT=arial black]
                      [/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by jstar View Post
                        Yes I hate that. Same happened to me in Spore when looking at the X100; would not insert the battery etc. I can understand they want to keep it pristine but with that mentality I'd rather buy (cheaper) online. Remember two good stores in LA and NL; if they knew you as a serious customer they would even let you use the camera for a couple of days.

Perhaps a baby shower at EL_G's place? We bring some diapers and can eat cake or 'beschuit met muisjes' (biskuit dengan tikus kecil / tostas ratoncitos) and try his X100 in the mean time...

Haha could be a good idea I've been toying with the idea of catching up with photography enthusiasts from the forum for some time. I'll take a raincheck for now because at the time of posting, it's 4am, I've been up since midnight looking after my son while mommy is getting some much needed rest. Zombie mode for me tomorrow ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by jstar View Post
                          Yeah, but you can keep on waiting then. Just like cellphones and cars; they always announce better ones...

Anybody have experience with this JPC Kemang store?
                          http://www.jpckemang.com/category.php?cid=2987646203ee60b7f746f5&sid=112023 73383ee699fddafa5
                          I
                          t has been mentioned on this forum before, and they don't seem expensive, but couldn't find anything on after sales etc.
                          They're OK, and have a large selection. I don't have experience with their after sales service, though. They add an addtional charge for all credit card purchases, something which I don't like, since they're selling most items at list price anyway. You can get slightly better deals paying cash at shops in Mangga Dua and Ambassador Mall.
                          sigpic

Comment

Price Info (cntd)

[SIZE=3]
                            [SIZE=2]Ok, have some Sporean prices as well:[/SIZE]

Fujifilm X100: SGD 1.299 (cheap in comparison)
                            Olympus Pen E-P3 (2 lenses): SGD 1,399
                            Olympus Pen E-P3 (14-42mm): SGD 1,180
                            Olympus Pen E-PL3 (2 lenses): SGD 1,130
                            Sony NEX-5N (18-55mm): SGD 1,099
                            RICOH GXR (body): SGD 650

[SIZE=2]Don't forget there is a possible 7% GST reclaim.[/SIZE][/SIZE]
                            Last edited by jstar; 08-11-11, 00:16.
                            [FONT=arial black]
                            [/FONT]

Comment

Sorry to be a pain but have you considered the newly announced Panasonic GX1?http://www.petapixel.com/2011/11/07/...28PetaPixel%29

Comment

Kirk Tuck also wrote a two part review of the Nikon V1 recently.

http://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com...crazy-and.html

http://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com...rformance.html

There was a comment about the noise performance at 3200 being on par with one of the Nikon DSLRs. Quite impressive for a smaller sensor compact.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X