2nd Camera - micro four thirds?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some previews on the NEX-7

The NEX-7 uses a new shutter arrangement, with an (optional) electronic first curtain. In other words, the camera no longer has to close the shutter then open it again to start the exposure, and according to Sony this decreases shutter lag from 100ms to just 20ms. It significantly reduces shutter-generated vibration as well.

A major feature of the NEX-7 is its OLED (Organic Light-Emitting Diode) electronic viewfinder.

Interesting:
    [SIZE=3]Further indication of the NEX-7's serious intentions is provided by the co-announced Carl Zeiss-branded E 24mm F1.8 lens (also known as the SEL24F18Z). This offers a field of view equivalent to a 35mm lens on full frame (Rabbit?), and places the NEX-7 squarely up against the likes of the Fujifilm FinePix X100 with its fixed 23mm F2 lens (El_Goretto?), as well as the E-P3 (Lone_Ranger?).[/SIZE]

[FONT=arial black]
    [/FONT]

Comment

Yep, been following the nex story. Close to getting one despite that I am a nikon guy. So far I am satisfied with the bokeh of aps-c sensors with 2.8 or larger aperture lenses.

Comment

The Zeiss 24 mm F1.8 should be equivalent to about 38 mm on full frame (1.6x), so yes somewhat close to the 35mm equivalent on the Fuji X100. Have you had a look at the Nikon D3100? Very small and very, very light, with a DX (1.5x) sensor. I would give it serious consideration, unless you're specifically looking for a "rangefinder" type body and not a DSLR. In terms of size the D3100 is not that much bulkier compared to any of the models you mentioned. Ergonomically speaking it is also more comfortable to hold. In fact it is about as heavy as the X100 (505 gm vs 450 gm for the X100). It is priced to compete against the mirrorless bodies on the market just now. One thing that has been holding me back from purchasing the EP3 is that I have a big investment in old and new Nikkors, with my D700 as the primary body. In fact I may just end up getting the D3100. And as with most DSLRs, it has Program mode for when you just want to point and shoot.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond3100/

I've also been happy with my Canon S90/S95 for casual use, which has the same sensor as the G12, but in a much smaller aluminum alloy body, and truly pocketable with a great F2.0 lens at the 28mm equivalent wide end (which is what I use 99% of the time). It has full manual control (in addition to aperture, full auto, and shutter priority) and also shoots raw, which was the clincher for me when I got it over a year ago. I have been very happy with the image quality. And easy to carry in a handbag or jeans pocket. Hardly any bokeh except at the macro setting, but I didn't buy it to get bokeh; I bought it so that I could carry it with me everywhere easily.

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/p...5#SampleImages
        Last edited by lone_ranger; 01-11-11, 08:01.
        sigpic

Comment

I've never really considered the NEX range because of the form factor which I am not very attracted to. But by what you guys are telling us, it seems to be a pretty good piece of camera!

About the X100, one of the killer features is the hybrid optical/digital viewfinder. This thing is a beauty. One flick of a switch and you go from optical viewfinder (off lens axis so there might be a bit of parallax error at close distance) to digital viewfinder (on-axis with the lens). The optical viewfinder has some overlay information including histogram, shutter speed, aperture, iso, grid lines, level, etc.

Comment

Considering the popularity and hype around the X100, would you not expect there to come various new compacts with large sensors and proper viewfinders anytime soon? There are rumors of such already such as for both Nikon and Leica?

Comment

Rumours of an APS-C sized Nikon compact have been circulating from as far back as 2008. Although I doubt they'll come out with anything (famous last words!) soon; I mean when was the last time anyone ever saw a proper Nikon rangefinder. Their (and Canon's) product differentiation seems to be both DX/full frame and the prosumer 1/1.7" compacts, e.g. the P7000. Ditto Canon, with APS-C/APS-H/full frame and the prosumer G12/S95. Cameras with APS-H will probably be discontinued soon with the new EOS-1DX full frame body replacing them. Micro 4/3 and Sony's NEX (APS-C) seem to fill a useful gap in between the two product lines. Nikon recently came up with the Nikon 1, which is about 2.5 times larger than the 1/1.7" sensor in the P7000 and G12, therefore slightly encroaching into micro 4/3 territory. Leica's already got the full frame M9 and a variety of 1/1.7" and 1/2.3" sensor compacts, most of which are based on Panasonic designs. We'll see how the market shakes out, with the mirrorless cameras gaining more and more foothold in the serious and prosumer market. Much as I like the EP3, I'd like to think of micro 4/3 as being neither here nor there, and one can probably do better getting either an APS-C body or smaller 1/1.7" sensor camera depending on the goals of the photographer.

Last edited by lone_ranger; 03-11-11, 15:48.
              sigpic

Comment

Hmm, did Nikon miss the bus? Suppose this Nikon 1 (V1 or J1) would offer an APS-C; perfect camera for you and the lenses...
                [FONT=arial black]
                [/FONT]

Comment

Do you guys & gals feel this NEX is so tremendously ugly too, btw? Love the retro look of the other cameras. Difficult to buy such a camera even if it is the right thing to do. Bit like a car I guess...
                  [FONT=arial black]
                  [/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by jstar View Post
                    Hmm, did Nikon miss the bus? Suppose this Nikon 1 (V1 or J1) would offer an APS-C; perfect camera for you and the lenses...
                    Nikon already has DX format, which is about the same size as APS-C, used in cameras such as the D300.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lone_ranger View Post

As for depth of field on micro 4/3 it is entirely possible to get shallow depth provided one is willing to fork out over two grand for one of their pro f2.0 lenses.
                      An f/2 lens on 4/3 gives you the same blur or amount of bokeh as an f/4 lens on full-frame. Quite a lot of money to pay for a lens that ultimately won't give you that much bokeh.

Comment

Originally posted by Hombre de Maiz View Post
                        An f/2 lens on 4/3 gives you the same blur or amount of bokeh as an f/4 lens on full-frame. Quite a lot of money to pay for a lens that ultimately won't give you that much bokeh.
                        It is a lot of money, and I think one is just paying for the ability to use F2.0 instead of getting good bokeh. Having said that a 50mm F1.8 from Nikon or Canon for instance is a lot, lot cheaper.
                        sigpic

Comment

Well, if one is after light-gathering ability, the place to start is with a big(ger) sensor. It's a bit of putting the cart before the horse. A bit like trying to make your small car go faster by putting bigger wheels on it.
                          Last edited by Hombre de Maiz; 04-11-11, 12:22.

Comment

Here is an example (from a well known 4/3 forum) taken with an F2.0 Zuiko (35-100mm) on micro 4/3. I can live with the bokeh, though I'm not sure if I'd be willing to pay for such a lens.

Last edited by lone_ranger; 04-11-11, 12:25.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hombre de Maiz View Post
                              Well, if one is after light-gathering ability, the place to start is with a big(ger) sensor. It's a bit of putting the cart before the horse. A bit like trying to make your small car go faster by putting bigger wheels on it.
                              Which relates back to my earlier comment: 4/3 is neither here nor there.
                              sigpic

Comment

Yea, the bokeh is a bit harsh for me. Which is why, after trying a couple of 4/3 system, I'm with LR. Not for me. IF there was a 4/3 compact that's small and pocketable (think Canon S95), I might get one. I might get the S95 anyway (or something like that). I do need a small camera of that size, but I also want the largest sensor and the brightest lens available.

As to "serious" cameras like SLR or any interchangeable lens cameras I would likely use for exhibitions, it would be a minimum APS-sized sensor. The X100 is something I would consider were it not for the cost AND large size

Comment

Working...
                                X