2nd Camera - micro four thirds?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sergei View Post
    Wasn't available at the Ratu Plaza though.
    Check out this OLYMPUS PEN E-PL5 [COLOR=#808080][FONT=Arial]Kit 14-42mm / 40-150mm Lens
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    Available here http://www.kotarayaonline.com/produc...&productId=536 for 8,550,000

They have a shop in Glodok Plaza and Mangga Dua Mall. Details at the bottom of the page.
    Last edited by lantern; 04-09-13, 23:24.
    "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• I like E-P5 much better than E-PL5 though.
      Sergei - Your friendly neighborhood IT consultant.

Comment

• Ok and how about that?

Sony has just announced 2 interchangeable lens/sensor combo for mobile phones, the QX100 and QX10. Not unlike the Ricoh GXR in the sense that the interchangeable lenses have the sensor built in but this is made to work with your Android or iOS running smartphone.

The QX100 model above boasts the same 20MP sensor as the Sony RX100 II which has received lots of praises! And the Carl Zeiss optic isn't too shabby either at f1.8-4.9, 28-100mm equivalent.

There's another more affordable QX10 model as well with a smaller 18MP sensor but a longer zoom range (f3.3-5.9, 25-250mm equivalent):

The cameras communicate with the smartphone via wifi and if you have an NFC compatible phone, the wifi handshake is automatic when the lens is snapped on.

Price: QX100 is $500 and QX10 is $250.

What the QX10 looks like in white and on an iPhone:

More info on http://petapixel.com/2013/09/04/sony...as-smartphone/

and http://gizmodo.com/sony-qx100-a-fanc...off-1245985295
        Last edited by El_Goretto; 05-09-13, 08:06. Reason: Adding info as I find some.

Comment

• Read some reviews in which they were 'underwhelmed' by the capabilities of the QX100. Would be a shame if it only remained a gadget.
          [FONT=arial black]
          [/FONT]

Comment

Olympus OM-D E-M1 is here...

http://cameras.olympus.com/omd/?olycmp=omdglb
            [FONT=arial black]
            [/FONT]

Comment

• Originally posted by jstar View Post
              Olympus OM-D E-M1 is here...

http://cameras.olympus.com/omd/?olycmp=omdglb
              To be honest, I don't like the new body design. Too much like modern SLR and controls look very crowded.

Comment

• Yeah, with that 'smooth' side grip it's a step away from the retro design.

Just like cars (buttons dashboard vs one central controller) with cameras it's proven that more buttons means faster access to multiple functions. But quite cluttered indeed.
                [FONT=arial black]
                [/FONT]

Comment

To be honest, I don't like the new body design. Too much like modern SLR and controls look very crowded.
                  Originally posted by jstar View Post
                  Yeah, with that 'smooth' side grip it's a step away from the retro design.

Just like cars (buttons dashboard vs one central controller) with cameras it's proven that more buttons means faster access to multiple functions. But quite cluttered indeed.
                  I think the E-M1 is just too expensive. It's supposed to mix the Four-third line with the Micro Four-third line (and make the Four-third line disappear at the same time) and it's geared towards semi-pros and pros, hence the price. Haven't read the reviews yet.

Comment

• Yesterday I had a chance to play with X-M1, X-E1 and OM-D at the Electronic City in PIM. I definitely like the OM-D build better than X-M1, though I like the way menus are setup on X-*1 series. I'm lacking the viewfinder on M1 and WiFi on E1, though. Seems like I might end up choosing E-P5 after all.

Comment

• No GX7?

Last edited by jstar; 15-09-13, 11:27.
                      [FONT=arial black]
                      [/FONT]

Comment

• I can't find it anywhere and the clock is ticking. I was also considering buying my new camera in Japan, and the Fujifilm and Olympus are cheaper than GX7 there.

Comment

• Hmm, forgot to ask a friend who went to COMEX. That could have been an option.
                          http://www.comexshow.com.sg/

If I look at reviews etc. in the Singaporean press, it seems to me the camera will not be widely available before October.
                          Last edited by jstar; 15-09-13, 11:56. Reason: just heard they were not even there...?
                          [FONT=arial black]
                          [/FONT]

Comment

Yesterday I had a chance to play with X-M1, X-E1 and OM-D at the Electronic City in PIM. I definitely like the OM-D build better than X-M1, though I like the way menus are setup on X-*1 series. I'm lacking the viewfinder on M1 and WiFi on E1, though. Seems like I might end up choosing E-P5 after all.
                            One of the signature features of the Olympus cameras is the ability to customize button functions, so it might make up for a menu that you don't like too much.

Have you played with the quick touch settings on the PEN (called Super Control Panel)? I'm not sure if it was activated on the camera you played with because I know it is not activated by default on the OM-D.

The menu shows up on the display at the back as an overlay with or without live view. See an image below:

Tap a setting and scroll the wheel to change it.

Comment

• Originally posted by El_Goretto View Post
                              One of the signature features of the Olympus cameras is the ability to customize button functions, so it might make up for a menu that you don't like too much.

Have you played with the quick touch settings on the PEN (called Super Control Panel)? I'm not sure if it was activated on the camera you played with because I know it is not activated by default on the OM-D.

The menu shows up on the display at the back as an overlay with or without live view. See an image below:

Tap a setting and scroll the wheel to change it.
                              I've read about the superb customize-ability of Olympus controls and about the Q-menu. Both are very attractive to me. I couldn't find the Q-menu on OM-D, but I had only a little time to play with it and salesman was no help (he was bent on pushing the X-M1 on me). The default OM-D menu was too verbose and not as fast to use as Fuji's, though I imagine Olympus's Q-menu on a touch screen will leave Fuji's in the dust.

Comment

• Originally posted by jstar View Post
                                Hmm, forgot to ask a friend who went to COMEX. That could have been an option.
                                http://www.comexshow.com.sg/

If I look at reviews etc. in the Singaporean press, it seems to me the camera will not be widely available before October.
                                In Japan they are expected mid September, but prices are higher than I'd like.

Comment

Working...
                                X