2nd Camera - micro four thirds?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jstar View Post
    Looked it up; the software needs to be able to work with layers. So you copy the area you want to change to a different layer, then change that (darker, lighter, color, etc.) and remove the edges. You probably did the same when creating the artwork for the bedroom (single color object in monochrome background)...
    You are correct regarding the artwork for our bedroom. For this I really needed the precision of Photoshop to get the results I was after.

However, Lightroom doesn't work with layers the way Photoshop does. There aren't any layers per se. There is a brush tool available and you can choose what this brush does: exposure, contrast, highlights, saturation, clarity, sharpness, etc. You can adjust each of these sliders to do what you wanna do and you can use as many brushes as you want. It's very simple and much more accessible than the layer system in Photoshop.

See this video for some explanation. It depicts an earlier version of Lightroom so some sliders are now different but the concept is the same.

http://layersmagazine.com/lightroom-...ent-brush.html

Comment

• Very helpful, thanks. Looks easier than the layer method. Will check if GIMP has a similar user friendly feature and otherwise get a Lightroom copy at Mangga Dua.

Edit: seems GIMP has only 8 bit color depth (will become 32 bit). And no 'intelligent' layering (yet), nor a selective highlight and shadow recovery. Hmm. Anybody ever used Darktable (also open source) btw?

I found Corel Aftershot Pro (the new Bibble) has some nice similar features too, incl. RAW workflow, it has the Layering and Region selection as well:

Selective editing
      [COLOR=#494D56][FONT=Tahoma]Apply adjustments exactly where you want them with unique Layers and Regions capabilities that isolate precise areas of your photo for adjustment.

[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#324F85][FONT=Segoe UI]Layers
      [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Segoe UI]Layers are collections of regions and adjustments. A layer can contain a single region and adjustment, or it can contain many regions and adjustments. All regions in a single layer will have the same adjustments applied. For example, if you want to brighten several faces in a photo, you can create circle regions over each face, and then adjust the Fill Light setting for the layer, thereby brightening the shadows for all the selected faces at one time. You can apply other adjustments to the layer as well, but at the point where you don't want the adjustments to apply to all the selected regions, or you want to adjust a new region, you must create a new layer and select one or more regions that you want to adjust............................................ ...[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Segoe UI]
      [COLOR=#324F85]
      Regions
      [/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Segoe UI]Regions are selected areas of a photo that you create by using one of the Region tools:[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Segoe UI]
      [FONT=Arial Unicode MS]•[/FONT] Circle Region tool — creates a circular region.
      [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Segoe UI]
      [FONT=Arial Unicode MS]•[/FONT] Polygon Region tool — creates a polygon region (triangle, square, rectangle...). The enclosed shape is determined by clicking the image to set points which are connected by straight lines.
      [FONT=Arial Unicode MS]•[/FONT] Curve Region tool — creates an irregular curvy shape. The enclosed shape is determined by clicking the image to set points which are connected by curved lines.
      [FONT=Arial Unicode MS]•[/FONT] Brush Region tool — creates a freehand shape. Brushstrokes determine the selected region. You can create the entire region with a brush, or use a brush to add to a region. For example, you can use the Polygon Region tool to select a large area of a background and then use the Brush Region tool to add small brushstrokes around the borders of the background to ensure that you have complete coverage.
      [/FONT][/COLOR]
      Last edited by jstar; 02-08-12, 08:00.
      [FONT=arial black]
      [/FONT]

Comment

• That's really over complicating things man :P I think for your needs, Lightroom would be just fine I can show you how it works if you want too.

Comment

• [SIZE=3]Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5[/SIZE]

Their product line becomes rather difficult to grasp.

This new camera sits above the simpler GF5 and below the top-of-the-line GH2 and GX1 (which we discussed earlier).

I like that the screen can be stored in the back of the camera for protection (à la Canon Powershot).

Under the hood, the G5's 'newly developed' 16MP Live MOS sensor is what Panasonic calls a 'digital sensor' with some of the processing happening on the chip itself. In theory this translates into improved high-ISO performance which is very welcome news, the more so because the G5's maximum ISO setting has been increased to 12,800. The continuous shooting rate has also been bumped up, from 4 to 6 frames per second, but almost certainly more important to most users is the increase in resolution for the touch-sensitive rear LCD, from 460,000 to 920,000 dots. The LCD now also comes with a feature that is called 'Touchpad AF'. It allows you to move the AF area across the frame with your finger on the LCD while you're framing the shot through the EVF.
          [FONT=arial black]
          [/FONT]

Comment

• Originally posted by El_Goretto View Post
            That's really over complicating things man :P I think for your needs, Lightroom would be just fine I can show you how it works if you want too.
            I know I know. Just don't want to be the 'helpdesk' for the wife when she decides to start editing these thousand pictures she made at Keukenhof (tulips).
            [FONT=arial black]
            [/FONT]

Comment

• Hehehe I see In this case I would highly recommend Lightroom. She will be able to manage her collections, upload to facebook, flickr and whatnot and edit the pictures all within one app. It's very accessible Much more than Photoshop, Gimp or some other programs that you mentioned.

Comment

• Interesting to see the results

[SIZE=3]Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 part II[/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][FONT=book antiqua]Panasonic team up with leading sports Photographer and reveals the camera he’ll be using at London 2012 Olympic Games[/FONT][/SIZE]

[FONT=arial]Having recently announced the London 2012 Olympic Games Images Gallery at the Getty Gallery, Westfield Stratford City, Panasonic is pleased to announce that leading sports photographer, Dean Mouhtaropoulos will be exclusively using the newly announced Panasonic DMC-G5 LUMIX G camera to capture the London 2012 Olympic Games.
                [/FONT]
                [FONT=arial]Dean Mouhtaropoulos has been granted access to the London 2012 Olympic Games to capture the unique, emotional and historic Olympic moments. Having worked for Getty Images (the Official Photographic Agency of the International Olympic Committee) for 9 years, Dean is well versed in capturing epic sporting moments including both Football and Rugby World Cups, the Olympics, Champions League football, World Championships in Swimming, Diving, Hockey, Athletics to name but a few. With Dean’s extensive experience photographing sports, and his passion for photography that dates back to his 12thbirthday, when he was first given a camera, Dean was the obvious photographer to be tasked with this momentous and epic task.[/FONT]
                [FONT=arial]
                With historic moments captured in a fraction of a second, Dean needs a fast, responsive, lightweight camera with outstanding image quality. Panasonic is providing Dean with a DMC-G5 LUMIX G camera to capture the games on. The G5 is a new addition to Panasonic’s multiple award winning LUMIX G range of cameras – having only been announced last week.[/FONT]
                [FONT=arial]
                Perfectly designed for a sports photographer, thanks to its compact, classically designed and easy-to-grip chassis the LUMIX G5 is effortless to carry around, yet still provides the superior image quality required for such historic shots.[/FONT]
                [FONT=arial]
                With a new 16.05-megapixel Live MOS sensor; the Venus Engine VII FHD image processor; and an ISO range of up to 12,800, the LUMIX G5 provides stunning image quality, even in low-light situations – perfect for demanding shooting conditions like the Olympics.[/FONT]
                [FONT=arial]
                There are no second chances when shooting at the Olympics – that split second moment is there to be captured and you need a camera you can rely on. With highly precise, light speed Auto Focus, the G5 ensures you’ll never miss the perfect shot. Additionally, the LUMIX G5’s rapid burst shooting capability - at six Frames per Second (FPS) at full resolution - can capture multiple shots of fast-moving subjects with stunning clarity.[/FONT]
                [FONT=arial]
                Dean will also carry a selection of LUMIX G Lenses in his kit bag, ranging from 7mm-300mm including the recently launched 12-35mm X lens, suitable for capturing a wide range of scenes thanks to a versatile zoom and F2.8 brightness in the entire zoom range,.[/FONT]
                [FONT=arial]
                Images taken by Dean using the G5 will be showcased at the London 2012 Olympic Games Images Gallery at the Getty Gallery based in Westfield Shopping Centre, Stratford (4th July-15th September). Visitors to the gallery will be able to interact with Panasonic’s showcase of Smart VIERA TVs showing live London 2012 Olympic content both in 2D and 3D being uploaded from all Olympic venues.[/FONT]
                [FONT=arial]
                Additionally, Panasonic will be posting ‘Lumix G Photos of the Day’ on Panasonic’s homepage (www.panasonic.co.uk) throughout the Olympic Games – so keep a check on the website as this will be updated daily. From the homepage visitors will also be able to link to the Lumix Lifestyle (www.lumixlifestyle.co.uk) page to view the full Panasonic London 2012 photo gallery. Thorough the Lumix Lifestyle community there will also be a section on Panasonic at London 2012, including general information on Panasonic's equipment at London 2012, a biography of Dean and product information and images on the G5. If this wasn’t enough Panasonic’s London 2012 Flag Tags App will be featured on the site, as well as a gallery of sports photos taken by Lumix Lifestyle members.[/FONT]
                [FONT=arial]
                Panasonic has been a supporter of the Olympic Games since 1988 and this latest announcement is just an example of the innovative, creative and informative ideas Panasonic is offering for people to fully enjoy London 2012.[/FONT]
                [FONT=arial black]
                [/FONT]

Comment

• How much was the endorsement pay-off to him by Panasonic? I reckon he'll stick out like a sore thumb among the white EOS EF L lenses...

Comment

• Originally posted by El_Goretto View Post
                    I, for one, am not excited at all by the EOS-M. Also, what's the point of a mirrorless if it's to use EF-S lenses? May as well buy a 650D or stick to your 60D. The whole point of mirrorless is to reduce the size of the kit. Also, using the LCD for composition feels awkward and is much less stable.
                    pancake lenses are slowly creeping into canons lineup, but its nice to know that the entire lens lineup can be used. I agree on the awkwardness of composing via the lcd screen, but I would not think twice about buying this camera. at least i could share it with my wife who hates viewfinders and the weight of a DSLR and yet still have the versatility of being able to share all my canon accesories between the 2 bodies. It will be a great alternative when i dont want to be noticed too much

Comment

• Walking around in Mal Kelapa Gading I saw a couple of underwater casings. Not sure if they only had the PEN versions or also the one for the OM-D (no time to check the website on model numbers and they had no idea in the store). Would be very interested in this PT-EP08:

The street price ($1400) would be comparable to the Nauticam NA-EM5:

Question is, what would be better, a proprietary system from the camera producer or a solution from an established specialized company? There are reviews out there of course... http://www.deepshots.co.uk/2012/08/q...a-em5-housing/
                      [FONT=arial black]
                      [/FONT]

Comment

• Underwater casing... Always as expensive if not more than the body but so tempting!

Comment

• As far I know, the Oly housing is not officialy released to the market.
                          The Nauticam distributor in jakarta told me he would have received 5 units in August.
                          Unless you already own the olympus ports, the PT-EP08 is not the wise choice. Poor and not ergonomic design.
                          I will certainly will go with nauticam - the housing is reasonably priced - but the port and gear for 12-50mm lens is bloody expensive at USD 800.
                          if you are thinking to have underwater housing for OM-D please allocate at least USD 2000 excl. the camera - still cheaper than NEX-7 housing system from the same manufacturer.
                          Other alternative is 10 bar, if the release the housing for OM-D, I guess the price will be around USD 1000 incl. semi dome port.
                          I have 10bar for my EPL-1, not beautiful housing, the manufacturing quality is not excelent. but functionaly working.
                          Last edited by wisnupurwanto; 24-08-12, 21:02.

Comment

• Looked on the Dutch Olympus website and they announced it for July, they also offer it online for 999,99 EUR excluding lens port. The PPO-EP01 doesn't seem to support our standard lens btw but will do so with the 14-42mm and the 2.8 macro. Like you say, the Nauticam seems to be much better.

This is one of these things we probably won't use enough to make it worth while. We are PADI certified etc. but just don't go diving enough. It's a shame you don't live in JKT; could rent it out to people like El_G and myself for $100 per trip or so. (People did that in a dive club in NL for very expensive equipment, everybody wins.) Perhaps they have it for rent in Singapore*.

http://www.olympus.nl/consumer/image...012_screen.pdf
                            Last edited by jstar; 24-08-12, 22:12. Reason: * http://www.rentunderwaterhousing.com.sg/
                            [FONT=arial black]
                            [/FONT]

Comment

• Originally posted by jstar View Post
                              Looked on the Dutch Olympus website and they announced it for July, they also offer it online for 999,99 EUR excluding lens port. The PPO-EP01 doesn't seem to support our standard lens btw but will do so with the 14-42mm and the 2.8 macro. Like you say, the Nauticam seems to be much better.

This is one of these things we probably won't use enough to make it worth while. We are PADI certified etc. but just don't go diving enough. It's a shame you don't live in JKT; could rent it out to people like El_G and myself for $100 per trip or so. (People did that in a dive club in NL for very expensive equipment, everybody wins.) Perhaps they have it for rent in Singapore*.

http://www.olympus.nl/consumer/image...012_screen.pdf
                              Jstar,
                              Wow, never think about that, we just love diving and uw photography, that's all.
                              we left our UW housings, strobes, torches, wet lens in jakarta - unuse for several months in dry box.
                              but as you said, everybody win ... so, why not,
                              i will "mudik" home again this december - and at that time (hopefully) the nauticam housing will be with us.
                              Hey, we need to meet and talk ... I'll bring my vodka (got it free here when purchased 2 box of fruit juice)

Re. Oly housing,you're right, seem available now. we did check in Holland early July - they didn't have and did not know when they would get it.
                              anyway, I'm not interested even if they drop the price.

Comment

• Micro 4/3 enthusiasts, I know someone looking to sell pretty awesome lens for m4/3 mount: the Voigtlander Nokton 25mm f0.95 (that's a 50mm in full frame equivalent).

That's what that baby looks like on an OM-D:

Just like most ultra fast lenses it's quite soft at max aperture but is quite sharp once stopped down 1 or 2 stops. It's also quite heavy as it is a full metal lens of very high quality (voigtlander!). It's also a manual focus and manual aperture lens.

It sells for Rp11.5jt @ JPC. The guy is asking for Rp7.8jt, complete with the box, manufacturer's warranty already expired but personal 3 day warranty offered. He needs the money soon.

I'm only an intermediary, I don't take any commission. PM me for his number.

Comment

Working...
                                X