No announcement yet.

2nd Camera - micro four thirds?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone here heard of the recently announced canon EOS M ? its a pocket camera with interchangeable lenses. has a 1.6 crop sensor (same as the recently announced canon 650D). it uses EF-M mount lenses but i have seen images of it with EF-S lenses mounted. dont know if they are fake or not but this is one camera thats got me drooling. if it can really use canons line up of lenses i might even replace my 60D with this sucker or atleast use it as a back up

Comment

• Originally posted by beebop View Post
      anyone here heard of the recently announced canon EOS M ?......i have seen images of it with EF-S lenses mounted. dont know if they are fake or not.....
      From DPREVIEW (and they are quite serious*):

Canon is the last big player to show its hand, and its initial entrant - the EOS M - is unashamedly targeted to the latter group of users. To all intents and purposes it's a mirrorless version of the recently-announced EOS 650D, but with a simpler interface that's designed to be more approachable for novice users, and obviously much more compact in size. It's based around a new 'EF-M' lens mount, and two matched lenses will be available at launch: the EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM zoom, and the EF-M 22mm f/2 STM 'pancake' prime. But it's still very much part of the EOS system, and all of the company's existing EF and EF-S SLR lenses can be used via the co-announced 'Mount adapter EF-EOS M'.

This would turn me off though:

The EOS M has no built-in flash, but instead a hot shoe on the top plate, and in many markets (although not the US) it will come bundled with the new AAA-powered Speedlite 90EX unit. There's neither a built-in viewfinder, nor connector for an external unit - composition is solely using the camera's rear screen (which is fixed, rather than articulated).
      I really don't want to take (all my) pictures on a tv screen...otherwise I would have gotten the Samsung NX200 some time ago.

* although here they miss the ball somewhat: It's perhaps not quite as refined as the Olympus OM-D E-M5 (arguably the current leader in this regard), but then again it's a fraction of the price. Erm, fraction of the price? With a street price of €1049/£949 with 18-55mm + 22mm lenses it is more expensive t[SIZE=2]han a NEX-5 (€595), Lumix DMC-GX1 ([/SIZE]€679) or PEN E-P3 (€729) and it gets pretty close to the OM-D...
      Last edited by jstar; 31-07-12, 22:56.
      [FONT=arial black]
      [/FONT]

Comment

• a hot shoe is far better than a built in flash. you can mount a speedlight on it and get some professional bounce light going. you could even fit a pocket wizard and use it to trigger off camera strobes. yes there is no view finder but the focusing speed is apparently very quick. i admit i will feel awkward from not holding up a viewfinder to my eye but its something im willing to adjust to if im using it as a walk around camera. i think its brilliant. btw quoted from dpreview as well "all of the company's existing EF and EF-S SLR lenses can be used via the co-announced 'Mount adapter EF-EOS M" this statement got me drooling.

Comment

• I, for one, am not excited at all by the EOS-M. Also, what's the point of a mirrorless if it's to use EF-S lenses? May as well buy a 650D or stick to your 60D. The whole point of mirrorless is to reduce the size of the kit. Also, using the LCD for composition feels awkward and is much less stable.

Comment

• It seems both Nikon and Canon are very concerned of cannibalizing their own DSLR camera market. The micro 4/3 or APS-C cameras they bring out have distinct disadvantages compared to their bigger brothers. Is that on purpose or is it they are afraid they are missing the (high end mirror less) boat and they cut corners to catch up faster? They must have the in house know-how to get them on a higher level and other brands already proved that is perfectly possible.

The other problem they are facing is of course they want to keep the customers who have already their DSLR system. However, brand loyalty is disappearing fast, trends come and go, the pace of technical advancements and miniaturization is enormous and the consumer is better informed.

So these two threads in their SWOTs are somewhat conflicting. By addressing or solving one you might open the door for the other. Not easy.
            [FONT=arial black]
            [/FONT]

Comment

• Originally posted by El_Goretto View Post
              So you flooded your XZ-1? Oh no...

I suppose you haven't found a casing for the OM-D yet?
              Yes, we flooded XZ-1 - RIP, the 3rd. - 1st SP-350, 2nd G9.

The housing for OM-D was not available either in Holland or UK end of June; and also not available until end of July in Jkt.
              The Nauticam distributor told me, they will have stock early august (retail price USD 1400, very reasonable price for aluminum housing) which is too late, since we ended our dive trip by 20 July,
              And our next dive trip will be early of next year, or probably end of year if luck with me.

Re. Lightroom - I do agree, purchased the version 3.4 last year but too dumb to use it.
              I know RAW make lot different but again, too lazy.
              Last edited by wisnupurwanto; 31-07-12, 23:27.

Comment

• I'm not interested with EOS-M as well. Seem impossible for underwater use.

Just hoping the 60mm m4/3 available before my next pulang kampung trip.

Comment

• Originally posted by wisnupurwanto View Post
                  Yes, we flooded XZ-1 - RIP, the 3rd. - 1st SP-350, 2nd G9.

The housing for OM-D was not available either in Holland or UK end of June; and also not available until end of July in Jkt.
                  The Nauticam distributor told me, they will have stock early august (retail price USD 1400, very reasonable price for aluminum housing) which is too late, since we ended our dive trip by 20 July,
                  And our next dive trip will be early of next year, or probably end of year if luck with me.

Re. Lightroom - I do agree, purchased the version 3.4 last year but too dumb to use it.
                  I know RAW make lot different but again, too lazy.
                  You really should use lightroom, and if possible upgrade to the latest one. The new RAW processing engine is fantastic. It basically gives you full control of highlights, whites, shadows and blacks. If your image is properly exposed, you can drastically increase the dynamic range, bordering on HDR results.

Lightroom is not very difficult to use. The good thing about it is that it doesn't apply any destroying effect to your image so that you can always start from scratch again and again and again if you wish to. Lightroom basically lets you take control over your images instead of letting your camera do it.

It's a shame because with the awesome source material that you've got (underwater pics), you could really take it to the next level!

PS: Adobe Camera Raw shares the same RAW processing engine btw.

Comment

• Scott Kelby's "Lightroom 4 for Photographers" is highly regarded and I use my copy fairly regularly. I like everything about Lightroom except for the Catalog feature. Here I wish it was more like Photo Mechanic or DXO Optics Pro, where I can just locate a directory folder and that would be my library or "catalog," without having to do some sort of pseudo-import. Otherwise it is a great piece of software, especially the noise reduction algorithm. I like DXO Optics Pro as well, but it doesn't have the cool brushes and gradient features that Lightroom has. But the image and lens presets are I think superior to Adobe, since they have a fairly high quality proprietary database of lens results. Both have their plus and minus points, I guess. But for things like lens corrections, film presets (Film Pack) and black and white conversions I think DXO has the best modules available in the market right now. If Adobe could buy DXO that'd be perfect.
                    Last edited by lone_ranger; 01-08-12, 11:48.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Never been interested in micro four thirds, however small and compact. I want a bigger sensor, not smaller kit.

Comment

• About Lightroom c.s.: the highlight and shadow recovery is also possible with cheap crappy programs like Windows Live Photo Gallery. But do the more advanced engines also offer that on only a portion of the picture? Or is it always 'all or nothing'?

@Hombre: Leica. But that's the price of an Avanza.
                        [FONT=arial black]
                        [/FONT]

Comment

• Yah, I can barely afford an 5D MkIII, much less a Leica. I am not doing enough shooting these days to justify expensive gear...

Comment

• Originally posted by Hombre de Maiz View Post
                            Yah, I can barely afford an 5D MkIII, much less a Leica. I am not doing enough shooting these days to justify expensive gear...
                            Should have gotten my 5d2 its gone now though.

Originally posted by jstar View Post
                            About Lightroom c.s.: the highlight and shadow recovery is also possible with cheap crappy programs like Windows Live Photo Gallery. But do the more advanced engines also offer that on only a portion of the picture? Or is it always 'all or nothing'?

@Hombre: Leica. But that's the price of an Avanza.
                            I believe you can do this with Lightroom using the brush.

Can windows live photo gallery deal with raw files though? You'll get a very different result when adjusting raw files compared to jpegs.

Comment

• Looked it up; the software needs to be able to work with layers. So you copy the area you want to change to a different layer, then change that (darker, lighter, color, etc.) and remove the edges. You probably did the same when creating the artwork for the bedroom (single color object in monochrome background)...
                              [FONT=arial black]
                              [/FONT]

Comment

• You can use GIMP also.

Comment

Working...
                                X