DSLR or prosumer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Banana72 View Post
    I find myself hardly ever go under 18mm for my shots...and looks like that 18-105mm (or 104mm) keeps popping up in 'best all around' lens review for Sony too.

Any of you guys ever purchased a used lens? I think my savings would be significant by buying used..(if i can find a reputable seller..)
    If buying used, visual inspection is important. Check for scratches on both front and back elements, but more importantly for a country with a hot and humid climate such as Indonesia's, you need to look for fungus especially if the lens isn't weather sealed. Have you ever sat in a taxi with cold AC then come out and all of a sudden your glasses are all fogged up? The same happens with your camera and lenses, and overtime fungus can develop depending on how well maintained the gear is (silica sachets in the camera bag, keeping the camera in the bag until it's come slowly come up to temperature, etc).

Check out kaskus.co.id or the bursa at fotografer.net

Comment

Originally posted by El_Goretto View Post
      The 28-70mm FE is for full frame e-mount Sony cameras and as such not compatible with yours. But what's more, you have a cropped sensor (as opposed to full frame), which means that your 16-50mm is roughly equivalent to the 28-70mm you mentioned. With a crop factor of 1.5, your 16-50 is equivalent to a 24-75mm full frame. In fact, you have longer focal length ("zoom") on your current lens than if you would somehow be able to put the FE on it.
      Hope it doesn't come across as pedantic, but this is quite wrong. The Sony FE and E lenses both use the exact same E mount. The FE lenses are designed for full frame (larger image circle) and still work perfectly on the crop sensor cameras like the A6000. The E lenses are designed for the crop sensor and will function on a full frame camera, but will typically have dramatic vignetting as they are designed for a smaller image circle (some, like the crop sensor 10-18, actually work quite well on full frame through about 80% of their zoom range).

Also, the focal lengths listed on the lenses are true focal length numbers, not equivalents, so if he did get the 28-70 FE for his A6000 it would have a longer focal length and a longer equivalent focal length. The 16-50 is full-frame-equivalent to a 24-75, and the 28-70 on the A6000 is equivalent to 42-105. In my opinion, the loss at the wide end would be much more noticeable than the gain on the long end.

Originally posted by El_Goretto View Post
      The 18-104 F4 is a fixed focal length which means the largest aperture doesn't change depending on the focal length.

So in your 18-55, when at 18mm, the max aperture is f3.5 and at 55mm it's significantly reduced at f5.6. Whereas with the 18—104, at 55 you would be able to get f4, meaning a wider aperture and thus a more pronounced blurring effect. To get the max blurring effects t, you would shoot at 104 at f4 (caveat, would also depend on minimum focusing distance, techbically). So even if you would be able to open a bit wider at 18mm, you wouldn't see the difference in "bluriness" at a wide angle, but for all the other focal lengths, the 18-104 is definitely superior.

Generally speaking, fixed focal length lenses are superior to their variable counterparts.
      This is all exactly right and a good explanation of why a fixed aperture zoom is typically better than a variable aperture zoom

Comment

Another one that's pretty nice is the 18-104 f4 G OSS
        For a single do-everything lens on your A6000, that 18-105 would be an excellent choice. It's a bit large and a bit expensive though, so you may be better off with a few lenses for specific uses. This article has a good, easy to understand breakdown of the Sony E-mount options: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/fir...lenses-to-buy/

Personally, I'd add the 55-210 for longer reach, and the 35mm f1.8 for low light and background blur, and keep the 16-50 for most day-to-day use.

Comment

Originally posted by \\ brad // View Post
          For a single do-everything lens on your A6000, that 18-105 would be an excellent choice. It's a bit large and a bit expensive though, so you may be better off with a few lenses for specific uses. This article has a good, easy to understand breakdown of the Sony E-mount options: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/fir...lenses-to-buy/

Personally, I'd add the 55-210 for longer reach, and the 35mm f1.8 for low light and background blur, and keep the 16-50 for most day-to-day use.
          Yep I looked at that link as well as others, that's how I got the info on the 18-105 and the 28-70mm.

The 18-105 does feel like it has a pretty nice, wide range. I'm still a camera newbie..so it's like sometimes there are so many lenses to get, so little time (and money haha). I understand absolutely that eventually I might need about 3-4 more lenses (macro, large zoon, maybe prime lens) but that's pretty far down the line..at this point, need to think carefully how I will spend my next Rupiah and on which lens.

I'll see if I know anybody who has an 18-105 and I'll test shoot with it..

Comment

Your A6000 is also putting out 24 megapixels, don't be afraid to crop heavily, you may find that your 16-50 gets you all the range you need other than field sports or wildlife.

Comment

No matter how much you research you will stumble and buy something you don't need. Research well but then don't be afraid to buy.

Comment

Hope it doesn't come across as pedantic, but this is quite wrong. The Sony FE and E lenses both use the exact same E mount. The FE lenses are designed for full frame (larger image circle) and still work perfectly on the crop sensor cameras like the A6000. The E lenses are designed for the crop sensor and will function on a full frame camera, but will typically have dramatic vignetting as they are designed for a smaller image circle (some, like the crop sensor 10-18, actually work quite well on full frame through about 80% of their zoom range).

Also, the focal lengths listed on the lenses are true focal length numbers, not equivalents, so if he did get the 28-70 FE for his A6000 it would have a longer focal length and a longer equivalent focal length. The 16-50 is full-frame-equivalent to a 24-75, and the 28-70 on the A6000 is equivalent to 42-105. In my opinion, the loss at the wide end would be much more noticeable than the gain on the long end.

This is all exactly right and a good explanation of why a fixed aperture zoom is typically better than a variable aperture zoom
                No no, you're right, it's my bad. I'm not familiar with the e-mount system and made some wrong assumptions. Thank you for correcting me.

Comment

I find myself hardly ever go under 18mm for my shots...and looks like that 18-105mm (or 104mm) keeps popping up in 'best all around' lens review for Sony too.
                  Any of you guys ever purchased a used lens? I think my savings would be significant by buying used..(if i can find a reputable seller..)
                  Go to well known shops, not any old shop in mangga dua to get it. Kaskus forum may be a place to find a seller or references to a good shop. (im guessing)

Yep I looked at that link as well as others, that's how I got the info on the 18-105 and the 28-70mm.

The 18-105 does feel like it has a pretty nice, wide range. I'm still a camera newbie..so it's like sometimes there are so many lenses to get, so little time (and money haha). I understand absolutely that eventually I might need about 3-4 more lenses (macro, large zoon, maybe prime lens) but that's pretty far down the line..at this point, need to think carefully how I will spend my next Rupiah and on which lens.

I'll see if I know anybody who has an 18-105 and I'll test shoot with it..
                  You can consider a 18-1xx for longer reach. That way you can delay getting a zoom lens or other lenses. Don't worry about getting more lenses, master what you have. I started with a D40 and goodness, making mistakes on it with manual is more unforgiving than on a D90 or the D5k cameras.

Someone mentioned 55-200 with a 35mm prime, and thats an ok setup also, but not for events IMHO. If you add a ultra wide to that zoom and 35mm, its fantastic for non-dynamic type of photography tho!

Are you familiar with kenrockwell.com? Ridiculously good site.

Comment

Originally posted by Chilled. View Post
                    Go to well known shops, not any old shop in mangga dua to get it. Kaskus forum may be a place to find a seller or references to a good shop. (im guessing)

You can consider a 18-1xx for longer reach. That way you can delay getting a zoom lens or other lenses. Don't worry about getting more lenses, master what you have. I started with a D40 and goodness, making mistakes on it with manual is more unforgiving than on a D90 or the D5k cameras.

Someone mentioned 55-200 with a 35mm prime, and thats an ok setup also, but not for events IMHO. If you add a ultra wide to that zoom and 35mm, its fantastic for non-dynamic type of photography tho!

Are you familiar with kenrockwell.com? Ridiculously good site.
                    Thanks chilled (and everybody else who has responded so far).

I went to Focus Nusantara when I got my camera. Seems like a place where many photographers go to, but I think I paid more overall than if I were to go to Mangga Dua (or even ask somebody to bring it from Singapore).

I've checked out kenrockwell website as well as a few others...good evening reading material!

I'm still learning everyday, taking pictures with the camera, and getting more familiar with it. I also ask people (when they post their pics) what lens they use (to see what kind of range of lens I need).

Comment

Thanks chilled (and everybody else who has responded so far).

I went to Focus Nusantara when I got my camera. Seems like a place where many photographers go to, but I think I paid more overall than if I were to go to Mangga Dua (or even ask somebody to bring it from Singapore).

I've checked out kenrockwell website as well as a few others...good evening reading material!

I'm still learning everyday, taking pictures with the camera, and getting more familiar with it. I also ask people (when they post their pics) what lens they use (to see what kind of range of lens I need).
                      Good Lord man, tell us what you got! Dont keep us in suspense now.

To know what setting was used in a shot, check the exif data on the picture.
                      http://www.digital-photo-secrets.com.../what-is-exif/

For example, kaskus photo forum thread
                      http://www.kaskus.co.id/thread/56011...-1-post-first/
                      has some ppl posting shots AND the exif info. If they dont, u can use programs to check it.

(links taken at random from top of search results, its probably accurate)

Comment

Originally posted by Chilled. View Post
                        Good Lord man, tell us what you got! Dont keep us in suspense now.

To know what setting was used in a shot, check the exif data on the picture.
                        http://www.digital-photo-secrets.com.../what-is-exif/

For example, kaskus photo forum thread
                        http://www.kaskus.co.id/thread/56011...-1-post-first/
                        has some ppl posting shots AND the exif info. If they dont, u can use programs to check it.

(links taken at random from top of search results, its probably accurate)
                        Hahaa no I didn't get any new lenses yet! I only went to Focus Nusantara once (to buy my A6000 with the 16-50 mm Kit lens). Still taking pictures every other day (or whenever I get a chance to do it)...if I go to a nicer place for dinner (hotels, nicer restaurants) I usually bring my camera...heck, I don't care if people think I'm tacky, I'm learning to take pictures, besides I pay for the food anyway lol.

I will have to say though, I do cheat a bit at times, at least I will take 5-8 pictures of the same object...at least one or two I do the "Intelligent Setting/Superior Setting" (Camera auto), and the rest I experimented with either Aperture priority and/or exposure....I figure if at least majority of my pictures come out clear and focused I'm happy (so far, keeping in mind, I've only started shooting with a 'real' camera for about three weeks....got a few people telling me they like my framing, etc...especially for a newbie).

Dark setting is still tough for me to shoot with manual setting. Most of the time I keep the ISO on Auto with set range (100-800).

I like the exif data links! Yeah, it's quite annoying to have to do multiple clicks on the pictures to see the setting!
                        Last edited by Banana72; 23-10-15, 01:20.

Comment

Dark setting is still tough for me to shoot with manual setting. Most of the time I keep the ISO on Auto with set range (100-800). !
                          Tolerance for what constitutes acceptable noise levels is very subjective, but I'd encourage you to get comfortable going up to ISO 3200 with the A6000. And don't worry about what it looks like at 100% zoom on a computer screen, it only matters what it looks like in the medium you wish it to be displayed.

Comment

Tolerance for what constitutes acceptable noise levels is very subjective, but I'd encourage you to get comfortable going up to ISO 3200 with the A6000. And don't worry about what it looks like at 100% zoom on a computer screen, it only matters what it looks like in the medium you wish it to be displayed.
                            Good to know!
                            I took some pictures which I thought were pretty decent, until one guy made a comment that the noise was a bit out of whack...Either I just need a pair of new glasses or the guy was being a pixel peeper (is that even the right terminology?). He was polite though when he mentioned about the noise 'problem'.

Comment

Update: Went out to dinner with parents a while ago and brought my A6000 with me to take some pictures. Dad asked some questions..turned out that he has a Nex5-T that he got as a gift a year ago and it came with a 55-210 zoom lens. He tried it a couple times, and never used it again (since he likes to just point and shoot and prefers a 'general' lens for group/portrait/everyday shooting.

I tried the lens a couple days ago, the focus feels much heavier and slower than my kit lens..I just took a couple test shots at the office (happened to bring the camera with me), we'll see if I get the chance to try it out with a more appropriate setting...

Comment

If you are taking it for group/portrait/everyday shots like your dad, the speed of the focus isnt too big a thing unless its excessive, then you need it looked at.

Hows your photography coming along? Getting better shots?

Comment

Working...
                                X