Announcement

Collapse

Forum Software Migration (2nd Update)

As you may have noticed, the forum software has undergone a bit of a facelift. We've migrated from vBulletin4 to vBulletin5.2.2. As with all software major updates, there will undoubtedly be a few hiccups. As with all software upgrades, vBulletin has made changes in how their software works, so there may be a bit of a learning curve as you re-orient yourself to their changed environment.

We have worked through the initial hiccups that were reported. If you experience additional issues, please pm them to wm and we'll work through them. Thanks for your patience!

Regards,
paman and wm
See more
See less

Why Are My Mashed Potatoes Like Glue?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Are My Mashed Potatoes Like Glue?

I think I am doing correctly all the steps Betty Crocker lists: Boil white potatoes until tender, but not mushy, drain and dry, and then whip in a mixer with the listed amount of milk and a little butter and salt. The result is not the firm but fluffy consistency that I am used to producing Stateside, but a sticky baby-food like mush. What am I doing wrong? Wrong potatoes -- I think I am buying white russets; wrong milk -- not fresh, but the unrefrigerated stuff in a box; mixer to slow? Help!

Unless I get some good culinary advise, I am thinking of adding a bit of Portland cement and marketing the stuff as wall crack filler.

You need to talk to my mother.

Comment

Hand the phone to your Mom, Mas.

Comment

Originally posted by waarmstrong View Post
        Hand the phone to your Mom, Mas.
        Call her Joan.
        She says people outside Barnsley have no bloody idea how to make proper mashed spuds.

Comment

Prolly too much liquid. Add butter and salt. Mash with a fork (yer lazy b*gger). Only add milk, if necessary.

PS It's all in the wrist.

Comment

Originally posted by Gratilla View Post
            Prolly too much liquid. Add butter and salt. Mash with a fork (yer lazy b*gger). Only add milk, if necessary.

PS It's all in the wrist.

Exactly, and ease back on the milk...actually you don't even need milk with good butter...
            IknowthatyoubelieveyouunderstandwhatyouthinkIsaid, butI'mnotsureyourealisethatwhatyouheardisnotwhatI meant.

Comment

There are wax and floury spuds. Floury are best for mashed spuds. Can't remember the variety names but if you google floury spuds you will get the name. When you have finished boiling them, drain the water out and put the pot back on the heat, shaking the spuds around till they are dry and. Add milk, best if warm but it does not matter, butter and if you want to indulge yourself, half milk and cream, season and mix well. Even though I'm Irish, I'm not an expert on spuds

Ray
              When my wife wants my opinion, she gives it to me

Comment

First you need to start with the largest, ugliest, dirstiest spuds you can find. Those are the more flavorful and less starchy. You know, a classin Idaho spud. I´m sure you know what I´m talking about.

Then get some French butter, lots of it. Melt it in in a cup of (whole milk), then once it´s all melted and hot, add the spuds which you have already mashed with the bottom of a glass or cup. Of course, for flava´ you will have added fried (again in French butter) lots of onions (or garlic, depending on your tastes) to the butta´ and milk concoction described above.

Comment

Originally posted by Hombre de Maiz View Post
                  First you need to start with the largest, ugliest, dirstiest spuds you can find. Those are the more flavorful and less starchy. You know, a classin Idaho spud. I´m sure you know what I´m talking about.

Then get some French butter, lots of it. Melt it in in a cup of (whole milk), then once it´s all melted and hot, add the spuds which you have already mashed with the bottom of a glass or cup. Of course, for flava´ you will have added fried (again in French butter) lots of onions (or garlic, depending on your tastes) to the butta´ and milk concoction described above.
                  Clearly a recipe for a Heart attack or stroke but definitely sounds enak Mas...
                  IknowthatyoubelieveyouunderstandwhatyouthinkIsaid, butI'mnotsureyourealisethatwhatyouheardisnotwhatI meant.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I checked out the "floury potatoes" on line and found several mashing brands/varieties to look for at Makro. I'm partial to onions and garlic, as well as butter, so I think I will give Hombre's suggestion a trial run before inflicting my next effort on guests. Note to self: mash with fork, you lazy bugger.

Comment

Memories...Bangers and Mash !!

It really depends on the spuds you are using, a nice knob of real butter helps (Anchor for me), once you have mashed them, you should know by then how much, if any milk to add, sometimes adding a egg yolk helps instead of milk !

sounds like to much liquid for sure

Comment

Definitely avoid the machine, fork will do a better job. Some potatoes are better for fries and some better for mash. French butter is a must, no need of much milk.
                        Garlic powder or crushed garlic... Enak sekali. Enjoy with some fried sausages (French or German) or "boudin" (blood sausage) but not everyday.. haha
                        I'm French, of course...!

Comment

Mashing with fork produces too fine a paste. You also want lumps.

The final touch to my recipe is to not eat it the day you make it. Store it overnight, and reheat it. It´ll tast much better. Finally, if you can burn a very thin layer at the bottom of the pan (gosong Indonesians would call it), that will also add some character and additional flavor.

Comment

I just watched my wife mash some potatoes to cover the shepherds pie.
                            She includes one of those small boxes of whipping cream 'Elle & Vire' from the supermarket...she thinks they are available in Carre4.
                            The potatoes are exactly as described by Homme...I think they are Idaho spuds, designed for baking, at least that's what I know.

Gourmet Chef (NOT) David

Comment

Why Are My Mashed Potatoes Like Glue?

Scientific Explanation: Both starch (a major constituent of potatoes) and milk (as in cascamite) can produce strong natural adhesives. Thus emulsifying a mixture of potatoes and milk by whipping them with a mixer can't really fail to produce a glue like consistency. This scientific explanation you'll forget right about ... now.

"Mash with a fork, you lazy bugger" you'll remember forever.

That's successful education.

Comment

Working...
                              X