Indian food on the cheap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian food on the cheap

Hi forum.. Anybody got any spots that are reasonable for Indian food. Been to a few, epicentrum and also near jaksa. But not cheap enough to eat at on the regular.

Originally posted by Green lion View Post
    Hi forum.. Anybody got any spots that are reasonable for Indian food. Been to a few, epicentrum and also near jaksa. But not cheap enough to eat at on the regular.
    No sorry not from me but I do wait with bated breath for anyone that can recommend any Indian food here.

Comment

Check this https://www.zomato.com/jakarta/best-...&category_id=0
      Sorry for my broken english.....I'm still in learning mode

Comment

Indian restaurants are never really cheap here. Even the three restaurants in Kelapa Gading that I mentioned in another thread, will cost more than your average Indonesian or Chinese. For two people, if you order Basmati, Panak Paneer, Tikka Massala, some Naan and drinks, you would spend approx. 250K. The Indian restaurant The Royal Kitchen in the Bellagio has quite often Groupon deals for its buffet. And that's not a bad deal.
        [FONT=arial black]
        [/FONT]

Comment

I have found that Indian food is so expensive here. Is it that expensive to make?

Comment

They use so much spices and ingredient. I just check Chicken Tikka Masala recipe and geez that's so much spices for one recipe

Comment

Originally posted by Kucing_item View Post
              They use so much spices and ingredient. I just check Chicken Tikka Masala recipe and geez that's so much spices for one recipe
              Well, its alot of spice but its in little amounts. I'm guessing the cost of importing it. Try going to Singapore or Malaysia, theres nice indian stalls with really cheap but good quality food. Banana Leaf rice <3

Originally posted by jstar View Post
              Indian restaurants are never really cheap here. Even the three restaurants in Kelapa Gading that I mentioned in another thread, will cost more than your average Indonesian or Chinese. For two people, if you order Basmati, Panak Paneer, Tikka Massala, some Naan and drinks, you would spend approx. 250K. The Indian restaurant The Royal Kitchen in the Bellagio has quite often Groupon deals for its buffet. And that's not a bad deal.
              Where? TELL ME!

Comment

Ok, so you're not going find Indian food at warung prices, but nor do you need to spend the kind of money that those places in south Jakarta charge.

There are a couple of options in Pasar Baru - there is Gokul which I've never actually been to and then there's Taj Mahal which is a little "hole-in-the-wall" type place and does very good food - I'd recommend the chili chicken or their meat thali - and cheap beer. There are quite possibly some other cheap places in this area as well.

I used to go to Taj Mahal quite regularly but since moving to Kelapa Gading I now visit Gurjari in Gading Food City a couple of times a week. A curry, basmati rice, naan bread and large bintang come to 150k and is excellent - I doubt you'll find much better in Jakarta in terms of quality and price. Of course, none of these places are convenient if you live in south Jakarta plus they're all pretty basic set-ups but that suits me fine.

jstar - where are the other Indian restaurants in KG?
                And the young people ask, what are they marching for? And I ask myself the same question.

Comment

For those in Karawaci, there is Taal. Very nice but not that cheap. Usually for 2 people (we can't finish it, there's always leftovers) we get 1 byriani, 1 butter chicken, 1 palak paneer and 1 serving of Naan. Comes to about 250rb. But the have a huge menu and looking at the Indian clientele, must be a good place. They'll deliver via go-jek all the way to BSD.

Comment

Originally posted by Tudor View Post
                    Ok, so you're not going find Indian food at warung prices, but nor do you need to spend the kind of money that those places in south Jakarta charge.

jstar - where are the other Indian restaurants in KG?
                    Also called Taal, there is a restaurant outside of MOI (Mall of Indonesia). I was not impressed with the (very bright) interior and the Palak Paneer and Tikka Massala were too creamy for my taste. But it is not bad.

And in MAG (Mall Artha Gading) there is a dependance of Indian Delitz from Kemayoran. I don't want to eat there since they don't serve alcohol in the food court, but they do deliver. And the prices are reasonable, the complete menu you can find on their Facebook page.

So yes, La Piazza is the place to go.

The Queen Tandoori chain is rather costly, but I do like the quality. The vegetarian place next to Sarina really sucks; its interior looks like a Subway and the food and service are quite bad.
                    [FONT=arial black]
                    [/FONT]

Comment

Good info here thx. Will check out Pasar Baru. about to move to Kebon Jeruk still far all good tho

Comment

Originally posted by Green lion View Post
                        I went here:

Ganesha BRI II

Address
                        Jalan Jend Sudirman Kav 44-46, Center Park BRI II 9th Floor, Jakarta 10210
                        Phone (+6221) 5719957 / 5713567

Menu
                        Cuisine : Authentic North Indian & South Indian Cuisine Price :$$ (Rp. 150.000 - Rp. 400.000)
                        Card Accepted VISA, Master Card, American Express, JCB, BCA Card

Operational Hours
                        Monday – Friday : Lunch Executive Buffet : 11:30 AM - 3:00 PM, Dinner Al la carte : 5:00 PM - 10:00 PM (Friday open till late night)
                        Saturday - Sunday: Lunch Grand Buffet :12:00 PM - 3:30 PM, Dinner Ala Carte: 6:00 PM - 11:00 PM

Serves :Lunch, Dinner

Best For
                        Casual Dining, Corporate Dining/Business Meeting, Family Friendly, Private Dining

Private Room on prior booking please
                        2 Private Rooms:
                        Room 1: Up to 20 Persons
                        Room 2: Up to 6 Persons

A traditional Indian fort – like ambience restaurant with pillars, artifacts, and all other interiors decors originally brought from India.Ganesha Kemang

Address:
                        Kemang Square, 2nd Floor Jl. Kemang Raya No. 5, Jakarta Selatan
                        Phone (+6221) 7196836 / 7196837

Menu
                        Cuisine : Authentic North Indian Cuisine
                        Price $$ (Rp. 150.000 - Rp. 400.000)

Comment

Originally posted by JackoThom View Post
                          No sorry not from me but I do wait with bated breath for anyone that can recommend any Indian food here.
                          I have a strong feeling that Jacko is happy with all these recommendation *teehee*

Comment

Thanks for the info jstar. I'd never heard of Taal so might check it out this weekend. Actually, I have seen the Indian stall at MAG food court but thought it might not be very 'authentic' so have never bothered, but I'll probably give it a go soon as it's close to my work.
                            And the young people ask, what are they marching for? And I ask myself the same question.

Comment

Originally posted by Kucing_item View Post
                              I have a strong feeling that Jacko is happy with all these recommendation *teehee*
                              You are 100% correct and a big thank you to all the posters above with their recommendations.

Like Green Lion I will check out Pasar Baru and try to find the "hole in the wall" it sounds like what I was looking for here as Green lion stated "cheap" in the OP.

If I were to pay Kemang prices at 150 to 400 ++ per head then my better half would definitely cause me a big headache as for those prices it is possible to go to a 5* hotel or similar and have a very nice multicultural buffet with in some cases :free flows" on offer and I know which she would rather go to.

I was looking for somewhere like the places in Little India in SG where the food comes on a banana leaf and the rice etc is as much as you can eat.

Comment

Working...
                              X