Looking for a good Wok

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a good Wok

The title pretty much sums it up... I'm in the market for a wok. I have searched the large department stores, but they all seem to only carry ones with a nonstick coating, which I don't want as it eventually burns/scrapes off into whatever I may be eating at the time. I've also heard the ceramic ones don't heat up very evenly. Anyone have any advice on where to find a good quality wok in Jakarta? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have a cooking hub with a wok burner? Very important so you can avoid a flat bottom surface.

The big trend is to use aluminium. The kaki5 cooks are not crazy; the traditional version is too heavy to work with for hours and hours. The same for Chinese restaurants. But the heat transmission of aluminium is not as good as steel.

But, the best wajan and wok (2 or 1 handle) is still the sheet steel version. But it requires maintenance (oil to prevent rust). Also, for the first time (and after cleaning with detergent) it needs to be 'burned-in' at high heat. Don't be afraid to use a 'dirty pan'; it shouldn't look shiny like new.

And don't go too big. It is very tempting to use a 40 cm. but that is for most households too large.

Ah yes, you had a question. Eh, everywhere. Really everywhere, even department stores like Carrefour and Diamond. Quite cheap too so you can always get a new one if you don't like it or if it breaks. And if you want to see thousands, go to Glodok.
    Last edited by jstar; 13-06-15, 12:13. Reason: typos
    [FONT=arial black]
    [/FONT]

Comment

We bought our anodized wok (Fincook) from Carrefour a few years ago. Good heat distribution, quite lightweight, non-stick and scratch resistant. Price was around Rp. 300k-400k if I'm not mistaken. It's easy to clean too.
      [FONT=comic sans ms]Please excuse my poor English. [/FONT]

Comment

Well, those anodized aluminium pans are better than raw aluminium or stainless but definitely don't offer the 'wok experience' you would have with steel. And I understand the western fobia to have clean cookware, but with woks and wajans that is not ideal.
        [FONT=arial black]
        [/FONT]

Comment

Very informative! Thank you! I personally don't mind cooking with a "dirty" cooking utensil as I have cooked with cast-iron skillets quite a bit and know the "seasoning" that goes into their use. It all adds to the flavor and experience

I am certainly new to the wok game, however. How do I know if my cooking setup has a wok burner? Mine is gas with elevated prongs upon which the pans sit. Two burners.

Thanks again for the help

Comment

Good. Probably a 'round' wok will be okay on the gas hub you have. But most brands offer accessories to make it a real 'wok burner'.

Also some shops sell those. It is a cast iron 'ring' with holders for the round wok.

Sometimes I remove the inner part to make it a single flame; even better.

It's probably a Modena or Ariston gas hub you have? They have their own add-on ring acessorie.
            Last edited by jstar; 13-06-15, 13:56. Reason: addition
            [FONT=arial black]
            [/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Bule lapar View Post
              The title pretty much sums it up... I'm in the market for a wok. I have searched the large department stores, but they all seem to only carry ones with a nonstick coating, which I don't want as it eventually burns/scrapes off into whatever I may be eating at the time. I've also heard the ceramic ones don't heat up very evenly. Anyone have any advice on where to find a good quality wok in Jakarta? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
              Hi Mr Lapar

Toko Tian Liong in China Town (petak 9), Jakarta should sell good quality wok. its a Restaurant supplies store

Comment

I thought a wok something you throw at a wabbit.
                "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
                George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Working...
                X