Miso Paste

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jstar View Post
    In fact every Asian country has its own version of fermented (soy)beans. And I disagree with; you should only use this or that for such a cuisine. Trial and error is always cool in cooking. Do also try douchi btw, originally from the Szechuan kitchen...nice with fish.
    I did say to use either Japanese miso or Korean doenjang if the OP just wants to cook tasty dish.
    [FONT=comic sans ms]Please excuse my poor English. [/FONT]

Comment

A long time ago I participated in a conversation where we tried to invent a stew that was as geographically diverse (in terms of ingredients associated with different countries) as possible - we got as far as this:

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=verdana]Ostrich (Southern Africa)[/FONT][/COLOR]
      [COLOR=#000000][FONT=verdana]Coconut milk (Southeast Asia)[/FONT][/COLOR]
      [COLOR=#000000][FONT=verdana]Chipotle peppers (Mexico)[/FONT][/COLOR]
      [COLOR=#000000][FONT=verdana]Olive Oil (Mediterranean)[/FONT][/COLOR]
      [COLOR=#000000][FONT=verdana]Garam Masala (India)[/FONT][/COLOR]
      [COLOR=#000000][FONT=verdana]Turnips (Northern Europe)[/FONT][/COLOR]
      [COLOR=#000000][FONT=verdana]Vegemite (Oz)[/FONT][/COLOR]
      [COLOR=#000000][FONT=verdana]Sumac (Middle East)[/FONT][/COLOR]
      [COLOR=#000000][FONT=verdana]Fiddleheads (Canada)[/FONT][/COLOR]
      [COLOR=#000000][FONT=verdana]Tabasco (US)[/FONT][/COLOR]
      [COLOR=#000000][FONT=verdana]Taro (Pacific Islands)
      Onions (just about everybody)

I think it went something like, saute the onions in olive oil, stir in garam masala and cook til fragrant; add chopped ostrich meat and brown; add coconut milk, chipotles, cubed taro and turnips, and cook til veggies are almost tender. Add vegemite (for saltiness) and Tabasco to taste. Add fiddleheads and simmer briefly just until they are crisp-tender.

Kinda weird but if I could ever assemble all of the ingredients in one place I almost might give it a try! (Suggested additions for unrepresented cuisines welcome, as long as they would have some hope of tasting okay.)[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Bule lapar View Post
        Found some! I have noticed that my local grocery store consistently has some good looking mackerel filets and it has inspired me to play around a bit. I love the flavor of miso, but have never actually cooked with it, so I'm excited to give this a go. The pack I found is quite large, too, so it should keep me busy for awhile. Thanks for the input, everyone

The Japanese sushi chef where my girlfriend works makes the best miso glazed fish, usually black cod, he told me you have to get fresh and marinate the fish with the miso glaze for 4-5 days. I've had other miso glazed fish and none were anywhere near as good as his, I also tried it on a whole hogfish snapper I speared(I've been working on smoking the perfect fish) and it worked great - just a suggestion but he knows his stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Chotto Matte View Post
          Japanese miso and Korean doenjang are not exactly the same. Japanese miso is smoother in texture and doenjang packs more punch or intense. The ingredients in Japanese miso consist of soybean, barley, buckwheat, etc. while doenjang is filled with various flavourings such as anchovies, shrimps, chilli, garlic, etc. If you want to cook authentic Japanese food, use Japanese miso only and if you want to cook authentic Korean food, use doenjang. But if you just want a tasty dish, you can use either.

I'm sure you can find doenjang at any Carrefour and Mu Gung Hwa (Korean supermarket) at Kelapa Gading, Kebayoran Baru, Karawaci and Cikarang. The latter sells more variety of doenjang.
          cmiiw...I did mention the chunkier texture, didnt really say it is exactly the same....i said pretty much....but I guess I shouldve said if you need to substitute japanese miso then instead of using tauco, you could use doenjang as a better option.

I love to cook daengjang...as well as miso...there is a softer type of korean soy paste, I used it for my miso soup and it still tasty....
          failing fast or recover fast? Going AGILE.....

Comment

Working...
          X