Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organic Kale

Hi Everyone,

We just moved to the Tangerang, Indonesia on July 5th. My wife is looking for organic kale to make some green juice, but where we live, Lippo Village - Karawaci, there is no organic kale, for that matter, no fresh kale of any kind here. Does anyone know where we can purchase fresh organic kale? I spent some time in Bangkok where kale is abundant and easy to purchase. I find it difficult to believe that they don't grow that vegetable here in Jakarta. I'd love to get some help. It appears that it is in abundant supply in Bali which doesn't help me right now.
    Living in Lippo Village - Karawaci
    Tangerang, Indonesia

Can buy American kale in Ranch (Pondok Indah) - not sure if it's organic, and it's about 75,000Rp for about 100g I think. It's not around all the time either.
    Things happen for a reason...

Comment

Or ask at local Chinese restaurants. The more refined vegetables (e.g., po cai) are grown outside the city, where the environment is cleaner.

Can't recall what kale is called in Chinese, but someone in this forum can probably answer that...

Comment

Contact the organic community, maybe they can help. Here's their twitter account @organicommunity

Comment

Originally posted by martindo View Post
          Or ask at local Chinese restaurants. The more refined vegetables (e.g., po cai) are grown outside the city, where the environment is cleaner.

Can't recall what kale is called in Chinese, but someone in this forum can probably answer that...
          Do you mean 'kailan'? I think it's different with 'kale' as OP asked. Boerenkool sounds more familiar to me.

Comment

Kailan is not kale. Nor is po-cai. However, there are other greens served in Chinese restaurants.

Comment

Having just tried it, I don't think the "kale" on sale at Ranch is kale either. Well, technically it may be, but I bought some and was really disappointed. Kale is one of my favorite vegetables - but in my experience, it is supposed to be a very hearty leaf with a toothsome bite (similar to singkong). This was "baby kale," and was more the texture of arugula. Nearly Rp 80k down the drain!!! Poor me. Never again.

Comment

Originally posted by Puspawarna View Post
                Having just tried it, I don't think the "kale" on sale at Ranch is kale either. Well, technically it may be, but I bought some and was really disappointed. Kale is one of my favorite vegetables - but in my experience, it is supposed to be a very hearty leaf with a toothsome bite (similar to singkong). This was "baby kale," and was more the texture of arugula. Nearly Rp 80k down the drain!!! Poor me. Never again.
                Try at All Fresh Mal Ambassador, Kuningan.
                around 20-30k

Comment

Originally posted by Puspawarna View Post
                  They do periodically have the "real stuff"...but have not seen it for a while now.
                  Things happen for a reason...

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle O'Brien View Post
                    They do periodically have the "real stuff"...but have not seen it for a while now.
                    Actually I did see "real" kale after I wrote that post. I bought it and it was exactly what I expect from kale. But definitely it was an unusual find.

Comment

i could find some pretty decent kale from at kemchicks pacific place or ranch market at lotte shopping avenue.

Comment

I count myself fortunate that the foods that strike me as nutritious and tasty are also ordinary and widely available across the world. Coming soon, the where-to-buy-green beans thread. Or maybe not.

Comment

@warmstrong
                          Please do not force your imperial beans upon me, sir. I will eat only the most local of foods, such as kacang rebus and jagung bakar. Your foreign beans were no doubt shipped here on the backs of diminutive slave hamsters, forced to swim the shark infested seas from Australia in exchange for peanuts and corn seed. You disgust me!

Comment

Of course, everyone (meaning me and my few friends) knows that imported greens are superior to locally grown varieties, especially if they are branded, organic, non-gmo, and fertilizing with only the finest genuine horse manure.

Comment

Actually, when I lived on the farm (organic dairy) there was this little tradition of inviting people to dinner and a show. Henry was an excellent cook. He'd always make something with cabbage and something with beef.
                              Henry-"Hows the cabbage, HM?"
                              HM-"It's great, Henry, this is a good crop."
                              Guest-"Oh, you grow the cabbage yourself? It's really good."
                              Henry-"It's all about applying the fertilizer properly."
                              Guest-"Huh?"
                              Henry-"You see, the trick is to piss on the center of the cabbage first, then the outer edge. That makes a nice cabbage. You can try it after dinner."

Henry- "You ok, HM?" (wink)
                              HM-"Yeah, it's just the bones in my hand hurting a bit because of the...."
                              Henry-"You know my daughter broke her arm last year?"
                              Guest- "What happened?
                              Henry-"She fell off her pet cow. Broke it right here. Ok now though."
                              Guest- "She had a pet cow?"
                              Henry- "Yeah, she bottle-fed it from a calf. Funny thing though, she named it Freezer"
                              HM- "It really was a nice cow, followed her around wherever she went."
                              Henry- (taking a bite of beef) "Tastes good, too."

Comment

Working...
                              X