Cornmeal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cornmeal?

So OomBen and i had this brilliant idea to make our own corndogs since no supermarkets seem to carry them here. But it just occurred to me that growing up i don't think i ever saw cornmeal at the supermarket either. Does anyone know of any place in Jakarta that carries it? No, not the Maizena stuff (i believe that's corn starch). Thanks in advance, forum!!!
    "There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want."
    -Bill Watterson

You may wish to invite Waarmstrong over for the feast...

Comment

If we manage to nail this one, i'll invite everyone and anyone on this forum with a hankering for corndogs over.
      -Bill Watterson

Comment

You may wish to explain to those who are not from the Heartland of America and those whose taste in cuisine is not so haute what a corndog is...

Comment

Dried corn ground to the precise degree that Americans consider to be "cornmeal" is rarely available in Jakarta, but polenta is not that hard to get in markets like Kemchicks, Ranch, and (I suppose, though I have yet to go there) Grand Lucky.

Polenta is usually slightly coarser than American cornmeal, but I have yet to encounter a problem substituting polenta for cornmeal. If you find it too coarse for your tastes - hey, that's why god invented blenders and food processors!

Comment

LOL at haute corndogs, but point well taken, Hombre.

So. Corndogs are the culmination of american cuisine, and the western god's gift to humanity. It consists of a hot dog (a.k.a. the well-known Indonesian sosis) rolled in a batter of cornmeal and flour, then skewered and deep-fried to golden perfection. The taste is very delicate and yet balanced, and when done right, one can expect a crunchy texture with a slightly sweet flavor on the outside, met with heavenly supple resistance and juicy, savory flavor from the hot dog inside...
            [SIZE=1][/SIZE]
            (That was an exaggeration, btw. Corndogs are cheap carnival food and in the US you can find a big frozen box of 16 dogs for about $7).
            -Bill Watterson

Comment

Puspa, thanks for the heads up. I'm sure it won't be the same, but definitely worth experimenting with. Ranch99, here i come!!!
              -Bill Watterson

Comment

I make a point of not consuming mystery meat. Bismarck once said that laws and sausages are similar. You don't want to see how they are made. I hope you can find Hebrew National or a similar quality maker who "answers to a higher authority".

Comment

Touche about mystery meat, but unfortunately it seems like OomBen's already hooked on corndogs (well, sausages in general). And speaking of mystery meat, the other day my mom brought home a package of ground beef from Lotte Mart and it was the palest ground beef i have ever seen in my life. What is up with that?! 60% fat content ground beef?
                  -Bill Watterson

Comment

Have you ever asked yourself how bakso is made and what it's made of? I don't want to know...

No, please, I am not a 'Zionist'. Really.

Comment

Hahah, yeah i don't think any Bakso maker (or lots and lots of those streetside vendors) feel that they need to answer to a higher authority, hence the formalin in tahu case, or the water-injected beef case, or the (insert the latest food scandal here). Perhaps in addition to making my own cornmeal (the thought did cross my mind) i should learn to make my own hotdogs as well.
                      -Bill Watterson

Comment

Just did a quick read on Hebrew National (never heard of that brand before, to be honest) on wikipedia and it said that their products still cannot be consumed by some observant Jews!!! Oy oy oy. Guess answering to a higher authority alone isn't enough...
                        -Bill Watterson

Comment

I grew up on the other coast, in NYC, where Jewish delicatessens are not uncommon. Hebrew National is a common brand of kosher franks sold in supermarkets in the NYC area.

Comment

Working...
                          X