American TEFL cert Chef Looking for Work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American TEFL cert Chef Looking for Work

I am looking for a job in Yogyakarta teaching English, cooking in a restaurant or teaching cooking private or culinary school. Any advice?

Do you have a degree in English, and 5 years experience? If not, then it mght be difficult to get a job legally teaching English. I'm not sure of the requirements for a chef, or similar.
    Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

I think you shouldn't have no problems finding a job in either of those fields. My reasons are that, i have seen jobs advertised for teaching english that do not require an english degree, although some form of degree is required along with TEFL, and there are ways around the 5 year rule if a company really wants you. In my opinion, its really up to the company and how much they want you, so make them want you haha! As far as being a Chef, again, you shouldn't have any problems as being a westerner, you are a considered 'expert' in western cuisine which is often demanded by high end restaurants and hotels. There is a huge number of western chefs in Indonesia!

I would be networking and putting my resume out to anyone and everyone! Go an introduce yourself personally to anyone you want to work for, who knows they might require your skills or may know of someone who does! Alternatively, depending on your personal situation, you could set up a small business writing content or proof reading etc as i understand there are a number of business' in Yogyakarta who's target markets are foreigners/tourists. Don't let people get to you when they say it will be near impossible to do something, use it as motivation and prove them wrong! Too much negativity here...

Good luck on your journey!!

Comment

Originally posted by maetos88 View Post
        I am looking for a job in Yogyakarta ... or teaching cooking private or ...

Better read the link below to know how to get a legal job .

Specifically about teaching privately , it is illegal in general . A foreigner can work legally only for an Indonesian based company , with a Work Permit and Limited Stay Visa/KITAS . Working illegally is considered a crime in Indonesia .

About the above optimistic post , be informed that we are not trying to be pessimistic , but instead , we just want to inform how to get a legal job and the risks by not doing so .
        Some employers even get the necessary documents for a legal work , but providing wrong information/documents to the Indonesian government , which is also considered a crime .

Working illegally or providing wrong data to get the necessary documents , both , carry the same penalties : up to 5 years in jail + up to R$500 million fine .

http://www.expat.or.id/business/jobseekers.html

---------------------------------------

UU no.6 - year 2011 (not the official translation)

Article 122
        Shall be punished with imprisonment of five (5) years and fined at most Rp500.000.000, 00 (five hundred million rupiah):

a. any foreigner who deliberately misuse or engage in activities not in accordance with the intent and purpose of the Visa/Stay Permit/Work Permit given to him/her;

b. any person who ordered or provide opportunity for the foreigner to misuse or engage in activities inconsistent with intent or purpose of the Visa/Stay Permit/Work Permit given to him/her.

Article 123
        Shall be punished with imprisonment of five (5) years and fined at most Rp500.000.000, 00 (five hundred million rupiah):

a. any person who knowingly gives a letter or false or falsified data or untrue statement with intent of obtaining Visas or Residence Permit for himself/herself or others;

b. any foreigner who deliberately use the Visa or Residence Permit as referred above to enter and / or stay in Indonesia.

Comment

Working...
        X