Actor seeking employment in Jakarta

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Actor seeking employment in Jakarta

Hi, I'm Niall from Ireland, im 26 years old just arrived in Jakarta... I'm starting to learn Bahasa Indonesia and I'm learning very fast... I have worked as an ACTOR in ireland and also in the Philippines and would like to persue a career here in Jakarta.

Dont know if there is a requirement for Irish actors, I do recall seeing a Bule in some Indonesian series some time back, but most Indonesian program's are pretty awful. dont know if you would really want to be in any

Comment

Originally posted by Irishman View Post
      Hi, I'm Niall from Ireland, im 26 years old just arrived in Jakarta... I'm starting to learn Bahasa Indonesia and I'm learning very fast... I have worked as an ACTOR in ireland and also in the Philippines and would like to persue a career here in Jakarta.

Niall - great to have another Irishman in Jakarta - lets hope you play Gaelic Football aswell.
      Where are you based. We have an Irish Pub in Kemang - maybe you can drop in and we can have a chat - cheers, Killian - www.murphysjakarta.com

Comment

yea many locals have told me thats there are many jobs in acting for bule whether it be advertising or movies or tv series... but havent found out how to actually go about applying here... anyway not to worry im sure ill figure it out... where u from anglian?

Comment

hey Killian ill be in Murphys on wednesday night to play a spot of pool. Dunno if ull be around.

Comment

Originally posted by Irishman View Post
            yea many locals have told me thats there are many jobs in acting for bule whether it be advertising or movies or tv series... but havent found out how to actually go about applying here... anyway not to worry im sure ill figure it out... where u from anglian?
            true, I've seen some doing that as their sidejob apart from the main one
            you may work your way on national tv station first as they have many live shows then you may go to well known Jakarta's production houses
            anyways, goodluck and welcome!
            If people say something bad against you, don’t be offended. Remember: "A dog doesn’t bark if he knows the person!"

Comment

Irishman, do you have a special entertainer visa?

Comment

Originally posted by Pimpin View Post
                Irishman, do you have a special entertainer visa?
                This is important. I think the foreigners you sometimes see on TV all have "real" jobs in Indonesia. I don't think they can accept any payment (legally) for their acting jobs. Please someone correct me on this.

You should contact people who are in the business. Jason Daniels (http://www.facebook.com/jason.tv) has had some success. Dale Andrew Collins-Smith (now called Wahyu Soeparno Putro) is another one. I can't imagine they get too many requests from aspiring bule actors in Indonesia you could try to contact them for advice.

Please post here on the forum when you land your first role good luck..

Comment

Originally posted by Babi Ngepet View Post
                  This is important. I think the foreigners you sometimes see on TV all have "real" jobs in Indonesia. I don't think they can accept any payment (legally) for their acting jobs. Please someone correct me on this.
                  That's correct. There have been cases in the past where a "foreigner" has taken an acting gig on TV/Film and but his/her immigration paperwork did not permit such. Make sure don't get yourself into such situation unless you have all your paperwork in order.
                  [FONT=Arial]Wana come over to Myspace and you can Twitter my Yahoo while I Google your Facebook?
                  [/FONT]

Comment

wow thx to everyone for good advice ill check those profiles, ive no visa watsoever and its kinda annoying... anyway my search for acting job will have to wait im flying home to ireland tomorrow cos my granny passed away so will be back in jakarta asap.... talk soon

Comment

Check out our long running amateur thespian group - the Jakarta Players - http://www.expat.or.id/orgs/jakartaplayers.html

All of these folks are here on regular semi-permanent stay visas and working permits - sponsored by companies. Their JP involvement is not paid.
                      Danielle Surkatty
                      Member of the Organizing Committee
                      Living in Indonesia, A Site for Expatriates
                      http://www.expat.or.id/

Living in Indonesia Expat Forum
                      Webmaster
                      http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.org/

Comment

Hay iam malik from jakarta I was living in Saudi Arabia but now iam in jakarta ... I wanna be an acting and iam really really interesting with acting ... I wish that i could get a chance ... could anyone help me please ...

Comment

wait until they start casting for the next series of bule masuk kampung -

Comment

@abdulmalik : Actually if you want to be in the acting world, you should try to get into the crowd of those who are in it. you can't just say : i want to be part of the acting world help me. without knowing you, your background, experience and capability, it would be hard to attract anyone here if they have the link to someone in those acting world. you could start joining twitter and follow some directors, start to make some contact . except if you wish have your fairy godmother/father to do some magic so you'll get whatever you want. in that case, ...i have no idea how.. oh well i do know how, but not sure if you'd be lucky enough
                            dont judge a book by it cover. judge it by it price. good books are expensive

Comment

Working...
                            X