Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quality Control and general help needed in Jepara for UK furniture company - Expats

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quality Control and general help needed in Jepara for UK furniture company - Expats

[FONT=Tahoma]Hi all,[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma]We are a garden furniture company based in the UK. We do business with a few suppliers in Jepara and we visit Java at least twice a year.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma]We need some part time help. Your job will be:[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma]1. Visit factories and carry out quality control spot checking at least 10 times a year.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma]2. Assist communication between suppliers and ourselves.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma]3. Join us when we visit Jepara on factory visits to assist with language barriers and transportation.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma]Skills you will need:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma]Furniture knowledge will be an advantage but we will go through the points we are looking for when carrying out QC inspections.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma]These skills will be very advantageous:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma]1. English as mother tongue[/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma]2. Excellent to fluent Indonesian [/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma]3. Local knowledge of Jepara and surrounding areas[/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma]4. own mode of transport. Preferably a car.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma]5. Discretion.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma]You need to be assertive and be quite firm when needed.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma]Initially we will be paying either by the hour or by the day on a need only basis but future prospects of a more stable employment basis are extremely good.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma]please send me via PM some details about yourself and rates you expect. [/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma]Regards,[/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma]S.[/FONT]

I do hate it when they say "the rates you expect"

Comment

OP.
      Are you aware of Indonesian law regarding employment?
      I'm thinking work permits, visa and so on.

Comment

very subdued for you fred...

I suspect that's why they want someone that is discrete.

Comment

If I look at the job description, a business visa, sponsored by any of their clients, would be legally enough. No need to raise bells.
          Addit: the "discretion" bit is the minimum one doing business can ask to his employee/partner. The applicant will obviously be in contact with informations such as buying price, quantities and suppliers datas. These are sensitive infos.
          Last edited by atlantis; 06-05-10, 06:14.

Comment

Originally posted by atlantis View Post
            If I look at the job description, a business visa, sponsored by any of their clients, would be legally enough. No need to raise bells.
            so paying by the hour or day as the need arises fulfills that does it ?

Initially we will be paying either by the hour or by the day on a need only

Addit: the "discretion" bit is the minimum one doing business can ask to his employee/partner. The applicant will obviously be in contact with informations such as buying price, quantities and suppliers datas. These are sensitive infos.
            And which work place doesn't require that ?

Comment

Originally posted by kingwilly View Post
              so paying by the hour or day as the need arises fulfills that does it ?
              It is not the fact that one is paid by the hour or day which allows one to do it on a business visa, but the activity conducted and the status of the company. One is helping a foreign entity to do business & conduct negociations with an indonesian entity. This is exactly one of the purposes of a business visa.

And which work place doesn't require that ?
              If you understand that discretion from an employee in any company is vital, I am then confused by your comment attributing it to the visa situation (cf: "I suspect that's why they want someone that is discrete").

About the visa: if one takes the time to read carefully the OP, it is very clear that it is a UK based company (cf: Quality Control and general help needed in Jepara for UK furniture company - Expats ). Therefore, as a foreign based entity, they can not sponsor an applicant for an IMTA -work permit-. Their only legal choice is to arrange a business visa (visa kunjungan usaha) for the applicant, through the intermediary of one of their suppliers.

Comment

Their only legal choice is to arrange a business visa (visa kunjungan usaha) for the applicant, through the intermediary of one of their suppliers.
                Indeed so, which fred asked about, and the OP makes no mention of.

Comment

So What about the hiring of an in-country expat as the UK company's local representative? I can understand what you are saying, Atlantis for a person coming into the country on a business visa sponsored by the UK company, but they seem to be soliciting for an expat already here, meaning someone on some other type of visa. How does that work legally? I am I to understand that persons not willing to exit and return on the business visa should not apply? Seems like a hassle for an expat to simply be "on call" for an indeterminate time with an indeterminate amount of part-time work on offer.

Comment

I can understand the OP's 'well written' request and requirement, but agree with Fred and others.

In another world this post would have many responses but I think the OP is unaware of the restrictions and Law imposed by the Republic of Indonesia on non-Indonesian employment.

I suggest the OP should be looking for an Indonesian with the same skills, needing part-time additional work, who is in a similar field as the requirements stipulated.

David

Comment

I know lots of people here who are on Business Visas. Some do all kinds of things here and could fit this into their businessload. I see it as a perfect fit for some. When having a business visa you aren't restricted to do one business only per visa like you are on a Kitas working here. So the right candidate can be hired as Atlantis has said either getting one of the UK suppliers in Jepara to sponsor the visa or if fortunate they already have a business visa. I can understand the company wanting to deal with a native English speaker who has a background here over an Indonesian. I'm sure the ties in communication will be smoother. It will be the job of the candidate to bridge East with West so to speak which is a wise move on their part. No doubt they will rest easier.

Comment

That makes sense, Pimpin. I would not be surprised, in thinking about it, if there is more that one such English speaking expat-agent type here on a business visa and working out of Jepara. Might be a problem for the OP though if the guy/gal is already representing companies importing into the UK, companies likely to be the OP's competitors.

Comment

Well ya but that is a seperate issue of course. If there is a conflict of interest it is up to the candidate to see that and act accordingly. A free agent is just that unless he/she signed a contract disallowing he/she from acting as an agent for another garden furniture company sending items to Europe or wherever else this company sells its products. Also a candidate for this job doesn't necessarily have to be purchasing nor inspecting in the furniture trade to be eligable. They could be involved in other business too. Anyways it looks like a lovely opportunity for the right person and could become a wonderful marriage for the UK company.

Comment

My aunt was working for a UK based garment factory ( Marks and Spencer) for 5 years and as a quality control officer and yes, they are on a business visa. They need to go out the country every 2 months but paid by the employer with allowance. They stayed in 5 star hotels around south east asia and they can also choose where they want to renew it. Other than that, the employer also give them housing, driver, security and all utilities are free... -Sounds like a dream job for me!

Comment

Indeed so, which fred asked about, and the OP makes no mention of.
                              Let's make it clear: with any type of visa kunjungan, sponsored by whichever company or whichever WNI or even not sponsored by anyone, Imigrasi would be happy and would not even raise the smallest eyebrow. Once again, raising bells when there is no need to, serves no purpose. I even got a bit carried away when I said "their only legal choice is to arrange a business visa...etc". I was thinking about what would be the ideal visa, on the long term, for activities implying repetitive visits and for a foreigner willing to stay year long. In fact, even with a simple VoA (ie: sponsored by no-one) the said foreigner would not doing anything illegal in working as described for the UK based company.
                              To waarm: to be even more clear, I own two french based companies. One is sourcing goods for other french based companies while the other is retailing/wholesaling goods imported directly from SEA & China. I am staying in Indonesia with a different type of visa than a visa kunjungan and I am conducting business activities in Indonesia for these two companies. Everyone in my KanIm is fully aware of it and no-one will ever bother me about it. Why? Because it is profitable for the indonesian economy and some of its actors and my activities here are part of the normal relations in between two companies which are doing business. It would make absolutely no sense that Imigrasi bother a potential investor or any of its representants who would be conducting what are part of their normal business relations with their indonesian clients.

Comment

Working...
                              X