Expatriate Teaching Positions Available Next Year

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Puspawarna View Post
    I think this discussion might be confusing for newbies looking to teach in Indonesia who are browsing the forum to glean info.

On their behalf, an explanation everyone else can skip: the Ministry of Education, in its oh-so-infinite wisdom, has outlawed the use of the word "international" for all schools in Indonesia that aren't limited to the children of diplomats (or maybe all foreigners, I can't remember). Schools like Jakarta International School, Australia International School, and British International School - those are among the best-known examples but there are plenty more - have had to change their names (to Jakarta Intercultural School, Australia Independent School, and British School of Jakarta).

As I write this in January 2016, you may still find websites on the internet for schools in Indonesia that use "international" in their names, but that's because they are slow to comply with the law. When the law was first promulgated (sometime in late 2014 if memory serves), JIS for one hoped it would be temporary (one reason behind their small-as-possible name change). That may have been overly optimistic, though; as far as I know there has been no talk of rescinding the rule.
    Well said. Which leads to the conclusion that, of course, there are international school out there...regardless of name.

Comment

Originally posted by windmill View Post
      Guys, I'm reading through requirements to teach in Indo and I'm running into a lot of conflicting information both here and on other websites. No two job postings are alike either. What are the bottom line requirements to teach ESL here legally?

ESL in a language centre? ESL/ELL in a school? The confusion is really with the government, and their ever changing requirements. But, this is what I understand, but may be wrong:

* 5 years experience in an area you wish to teach
      * Minimum degree in English/and/or PGCE/ Teaching certificate with QTS from the home (native) country/MA English... possible Education, but not sure...

Although, don't take my word for it.

Sorry, but hard to help more with laws not published, abused or disregarded willy nilly....

Comment

Originally posted by brazucanyc View Post
        is there an age limit?
        Yes, as imposed by the government legislation.

Which is 60.

BUT.....

What this means in practise, is that you must be 58 or younger to start working at our school, or other schools that we have contact with, because two year contracts are the norm, and the immigration guys insist that you cannot be over 60 and working, so they will not issue a KITAS unless have those 'extra years up your sleeve'.

I hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by SVP_recruitment View Post
          POSITIONS VACANT

REQUIREMENTS:

[LIST][*]All expatriate teachers must be native speakers of English (generally taken to mean that they are expatriates from Australia, New Zealand, US, Canada or England)

Ah, thankfully you've left out the Irish, the Scots and the Welsh ... oh, especially the Welsh. Sneaky bastards. Can't trust 'em. And "native speakers of English"? Definitely not.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Warden: "What we got here ... is failure to communicate."

The Dude: "Oh yeah? Well that's just, like, your opinion, man."[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by gerrardtorres View Post
            Well said. Which leads to the conclusion that, of course, there are international school out there...regardless of name.
            "The first rule of International School is: you do not talk about International School."

Comment

[QUOTE=Mister Bule;475078]oh, especially the Welsh. Sneaky bastards. Can't trust 'em. /QUOTE]

Ya, can't trust em', they talk English but you can't hardly understand a word the sneaky bastards are saying
              Last edited by macvert; 25-01-16, 17:51.
              The answer is 42 .... any questions? .

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Bule View Post
                "The first rule of International School is: you do not talk about International School."

The second rule...

Comment

By the way, your notice indicates salary range as:

Salary Range: $25,000-$35,000 p/a depending on experience and qualifications.
                  Assuming this means dollar value (in USD) paid in IDR equivalent, it is a range of (approximately) 30-40 juta per month. Is this correct?

Comment

By the way, your notice indicates salary range as:

Assuming this means dollar value (in USD) paid in IDR equivalent, it is a range of (approximately) 30-40 juta per month. Is this correct?
                    Yes.

(need to add a fifth character).

Comment

That is an excellent salary range, to be sure. I wish you all the best in recruiting suitable candidates. Unfortunately, I do not meet all of the requirements to apply. For one thing, I do not believe I possess "a pleasant personality", although there does seem to be some amount of debate on the topic.

Comment

That is an excellent salary range, to be sure. I wish you all the best in recruiting suitable candidates. Unfortunately, I do not meet all of the requirements to apply. For one thing, I do not believe I possess "a pleasant personality", although there does seem to be some amount of debate on the topic.
                        Purely academic...

Comment

Yep Hman. They like the writing impersonal, but the teacher personable.

Comment

LOL.

Noted, I think our HR wrote that particular line. Though, it really goes with the the second half of that dot point about being adaptable to new challenges, and thus is really aimed at expatriates new to Indonesia, as I would think most seasoned expats in Indonesia can understand that shouting and having a public tantrum when your electricity supply cuts out for 2nd time that month is not really the done thing, for instance.

Comment

LOL.

Noted, I think our HR wrote that particular line. Though, it really goes with the the second half of that dot point about being adaptable to new challenges, and thus is really aimed at expatriates new to Indonesia, as I would think most seasoned expats in Indonesia can understand that shouting and having a public tantrum when your electricity supply cuts out for 2nd time that month is not really the done thing, for instance.
                              Indeed. I usually at least keep my composure until the second or third "mati lampu" of the day.

Comment

The primary positions have been filled. We are only looking for

2. Early Years Education English Teacher

3. Secondary School English Teacher x2

Comment

Working...
                                X