X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh you poor thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Missnaughty View Post
      I actually now am getting ready on my hand and knees holding the mop and broom. Let's Find out whether she turn up or not tomorrow..
      Are you going to mop the floor with a LV handbag hanging on your shoulder?

Comment

Originally posted by Missnaughty View Post
        I actually now am getting ready on my hand and knees holding the mop and broom. Let's Find out whether she turn up or not tomorrow..
        Oh the humanity! And just think, it could have been avoided for the sake of a 50,000 per week raise? But the principle is strong.

Comment

Just one more question: why the text message? Don't you two live in the same place?

Comment

Live-out maid?

Comment

I still don't get the "principle". Applied at a professional setting, this would be acceptable. Is she less of a person because she doesn't get a pay stub? My other questions and compromise still stands, I think in this case the principle has many other ways to be upheld but the OP choses the way least convenient to her though reserving the most pride for herself.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbit_39 View Post
                Live-out maid?
                Ah, could be. I think SMS is not the best medium for negotiation.

Comment

Saving pulsa perhaps. Agree the medium isn't quite right, but still I doubt it would make a difference to the OP
                  Last edited by rabbit_39; 07-11-11, 06:15.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbit_39 View Post
                    Saving pulsa perhaps. Agree the medium isn't quite right, but still I doubt it would make a difference to the OP
                    I can't tell for sure. There's a difference between "sy minta naik gaji krn yg lain d kmplks dpt 500rb lbh" and meeting in person explaining respectfully that she needs the money and the reasons she earns it. Written words unaccompanied by voice or facial expression can very quickly sound hostile and disrespectful, even if there's no such intention.

Comment

It's the weekend, surely the maid went home for an evening.

Missnaughty is a fair boss, after all.

Comment

Originally posted by kingwilly View Post
                        It's the weekend, surely the maid went home for an evening.

Missnaughty is a fair boss, after all.
                        Maybe she should give her maid some greenbrick as holiday bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by ponyexpress View Post
                          Maybe she should give her maid some greenbrick as holiday bonus.
                          Nope, no charity, tis a professional working relationship, after all.

Comment

" Madam, I am sorry. I want to tell you that average salary for house helper in the complex now is "...". Can I have a raise please? "Ani, I am sorry that I cant give you raise right now, but like I said before I will give you a raise for sure after 1 year of work. But having said that, if i see you within that time that you make a good effort in your job than I would give you a raise which i think so far it is not time yet to give you a raise. The other reason i cant give a raise is you've only been working for me for less than 6 months, and also want to remind that you had 2 months of those months receiving salary but doesnt have to come to work. The other thing is, the amount of the salary you mentioned is I believe because they can speak a little english, which in my case not really necessary."Note : regarding the 2 months salary i do understand that i have to pay her anyway cos i was away..

Comment

The problem here is not really the amount of the money but the fact that the maid looks to compromise her employer by asking for more money. if the maid is deserving of more, then no doubt the maid will be paid more depending on performance. The depth of the problem comes from nearly all maids having a mobile phone. they have their own network and swap regular data, not only about salary income but interact with other personnel such as satpams, drivers, ojeks etc and they definitely think they know they are worth than they are getting.

It is also about job evaluation for the maid - if you treat her right, then the salary is not normally an issue - but trustworthiness is something else entirely and as a Westerner, it is something that we cannot fully understand how a young girl from the kampung thinks. Their level of education is below our own and their expectations are completely different from daily life.

Evaluate the situation and handle it. The maid will not be with you forever. Maids are interchangeable and sometimes it is hard to establish continuity. they all have failings but they are young women who want to work. Working for a family in a clustered community gives them some security they do not get in their home Kampung - but how long is a piece of string? Give them an inch and they take a mile.

Once you give in, it will never stop. A bicycle becomes a motor cycle and before long she wants to learn to drive. Buy her a dress or a tee-shirt and she wants a wardrobe (extra one). The access to the wifes cosmetics and make up is a whole different ball game!

Comment

MrC, that's why you have to treat this as you would in a professional setting. Same story. Set expectations and goals for her, and give her the compensation appropriate for her work. simple.

" if the maid is deserving of more, then no doubt the maid will be paid more depending on performance"
                                That doesn't even work in a large multinational company, what makes you think it will work with the OP?

Comment

Working...
                                X