Gosh.. What is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gosh.. What is this?

Woke up this morning to find a text message from my house helper asking for a raise. She said that the going rate in the compound is higher than what she is currently receiving. I said, we agreed on the salary before she started working and reminded her that she has only been working for me for 4 months. She hasnt answered ....

Was going to say have her put her money in a deposit account and then she could find some compounding income... But you live in a compound...My bro-in-law pays his two maids about rp700,000 each... But you did negotiate your price... They can always quit.A happy worker is a productive worker...usually...
    Tolak orang gila

Comment

Maid trouble I guess...

She may have been talking to other maids working in the compound who boasted about their salary. Do you happen to know what the going rate is? Do you think she could have a point if she is indeed paid less than other maids with comparable skills and experience?
      Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
      [COLOR=#000000]
      [/COLOR]

Comment

When she applied for the job, the only question i asked was "how much salary you are expected?" I agreed on her conditions and any of her requests, no bargaining. I know she made less then the others in the compound, but she made more then before. I appreciated her initiation, just seems not fair to me.

Comment

If she is indeed being paid less for the same skill and workload, then she'll quit if you don't match the pay. You decide whether it's worth the hassle.

Comment

Economics 101 - demand and supply

Comment

I think it's fair. If I know at a company I don't get paid the same as others with similar skills, I would ask for a raise after a reasonable amount of time to prove myself (and actually do prove my worth). Or quit.

In a domestic situation, I believe it's ok for her to ask. Especially after 4 months. Has she proven herself? If not, set goals for her.

But it sounds like you just want people to sympathize with you and tell you it's unfair for her to ask for a raise. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Comment

Did you fire her?

Curious for the ending of the story

Comment

Originally posted by Missnaughty View Post
                  When she applied for the job, the only question i asked was "how much salary you are expected?" I agreed on her conditions and any of her requests, no bargaining. I know she made less then the others in the compound, but she made more then before. I appreciated her initiation, just seems not fair to me.
                  From your 4 months experience with her, do you think she is trustworthy? Are you happy with how she performs the tasks you have assigned to her?

It will be a simple yes or no on your part and another yes or no on hers.

If you think the raise she is asking for is reasonable, you may acquiesce but make sure you draw a simple contract stating that the salary will be valid for a specific period of time and when the next increase will be. You can also add a certain percentage as ceiling of the increase, if you so wish and conditions if applicable. You can then have it translated by someone (a native speaker) from your husband's office.

Are you Indonesian? I ask because I do not know the norm here but if it's the same in the Philippines, then we don't use contracts for domestic help in a Filipino family setting.

May sound tedious but at times necessary and still better to have to avoid unnecessary headaches in future - hubby and me being both foreigners here. I have one that is in English - the Bahasa version is filed in hubby's office. I can send you a sample if you see the need for it.

Comment

@MISSNAUGHTY, if you think a $3000 LV, is nothing, than this raise should be peanuts to you, prior agreement or not. Give it to her, spread your wealth a little, for her it is maybe just an extra snack for a child. I don't think she will be shopping for a LV, even a fake one, with that raise.

Comment

Originally posted by benederlof View Post
                      @MISSNAUGHTY, if you think a $3000 LV, is nothing, than this raise should be peanuts to you, prior agreement or not. Give it to her, spread your wealth a little, for her it is maybe just an extra snack for a child. I don't think she will be shopping for a LV, even a fake one, with that raise.
                      he he he he he he....

I was seriously thinking the same...

Comment

Well said.

Comment

Originally posted by freesia View Post
                          From your 4 months experience with her, do you think she is trustworthy? Are you happy with how she performs the tasks you have assigned to her?

It will be a simple yes or no on your part and another yes or no on hers.

If you think the raise she is asking for is reasonable, you may acquiesce but make sure you draw a simple contract stating that the salary will be valid for a specific period of time and when the next increase will be. You can also add a certain percentage as ceiling of the increase, if you so wish and conditions if applicable. You can then have it translated by someone (a native speaker) from your husband's office.

Are you Indonesian? I ask because I do not know the norm here but if it's the same in the Philippines, then we don't use contracts for domestic help in a Filipino family setting.

May sound tedious but at times necessary and still better to have to avoid unnecessary headaches in future - hubby and me being both foreigners here. I have one that is in English - the Bahasa version is filed in hubby's office. I can send you a sample if you see the need for it.
                          Thank you for the offer. I am an Indonesian and yes there is no contract for domestic helper here either. I just post it up here for reference if this happen to anyone else.

Comment

Bill Gates have so much money, but why doesn't he spend half of his fortune to subsidized his employees salary?
                            She works for me. As long as she is my employee I am obligated to pay her this salary regardless i have money or not. I will keep her salary fair.. to me and to her. When she needs help, or tips.. that is different case.

Comment

Oh you are so wrong, Bill Gates is one of the biggest philantropists, he gives a good portion of his wealth to charities, and his employees are very well paid.

Originally posted by Missnaughty View Post
                              Bill Gates have so much money, but why doesn't he spend half of his fortune to subsidized his employees salary?
                              She works for me. As long as she is my employee I am obligated to pay her this salary regardless i have money or not. I will keep her salary fair.. to me and to her. When she needs help, or tips.. that is different case.

Comment

Working...
                              X