Traveling with Mifi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling with Mifi

I have a Mobile Wifi device - Unlocked HUAWEI E5330 3G HSPA+ 2100/900Mhz - It says it can connect up to 10 devices at a time. Here is the link of the specs: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2032...12797a27XbLF7h

My question is can I show up at the Telkomsel store in Ubud (or other similar places in Southeast Asia) and ask to have a Data-only SIM be inserted into the back of the device and then buy a 30 day validity 10-20GB data packet and connect my laptop to the Internet before leaving the store? I want to see that the SIM card will work with the device.

I got this device so I can do this in each country I visit simply by replacing the SIM. Before I had this device, I would buy a dongle/USB Mobile Broadband in each country and then because it was locked, it would be useless in the following country. That seemed like a waste of money. Will I have any issues with the Mifi device?

Originally posted by atoopishai View Post
    ... My question is can I show up at the Telkomsel store in Ubud (or other similar places in Southeast Asia) and ask to have a Data-only SIM be inserted into the back of the device and then buy a 30 day validity 10-20GB data packet and connect my laptop to the Internet before leaving the store? ...

Well , I am not sure that the Telkomsel offices sell SIM cards (I think the offices are more for customer services) , but there are many street vendors where you can buy (or online) .
    According to these 2 references below , Telkomsel works with the 2100 Mhz (UMTS) , but I am not sure because I don't use Telkomsel . Better check also if HSPA+ includes UMTS .

Be alerted that some companies are stopping their 3G operation to focus only in 4G , so Telkomsel may be doing that too (Telkomsel is asking users to change the 3G SIM to 4G SIM) .

https://www.frequencycheck.com/carri...msel-indonesia

https://www.worldtimezone.com/gsm.html

Comment

Thanks, is my device 4G compatible? It doesn't mention that in the specs

Comment

Thanks, is my device 4G compatible? It doesn't mention that in the specs
        As you said , it is a "3G HSPA+ 2100/900Mhz" . As far as I understand , if a manufacturer specifically says it is a 3G modem it is because it is 2G + 3G . If the manufacturer says it is a 4G modem , then it is 2G + 3G + 4G .

By the way , I don't recommend 3G . I was using a 3G modem until some months ago , but could not do internet banking with it anymore . First I taught it was a problem of my bank , but later I bought a 4G modem and I found out that it was a problem of the 3G network speed .

If your cell phone is 4G capable , you can use internet in your computer through "tethering"/phone as modem : directly with an usb cable , or wireless by Bluetooth or Wi-Fi (by cable is more energy efficient) .

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-tethering-2377921

Comment

Thanks, but the phone I have an old style nokia brick phone (3G) it is discontinued.

Comment

Thanks, but the phone I have an old style nokia brick phone (3G) it is discontinued.

So it is time already to buy a new phone , right . Do it now , so you don't need to bring the Mifi . By the way when I was looking to buy a 4G modem , my phone was 3G too , so I bought a refurbished 4G phone instead of a new modem or Mifi , because just a new usb 4G modem was around Rp500'000 (US$36) and I bought the phone for the same price , so besides the 4G modem function I got a smartphone function too (I recommend it to you too : Xiaomi Redmi 2 (memory 1G/8G) refurbished @ Rp450'000 now - its battery is small and you may need a powerbank (battery) which you can buy here one with 10'000 Ah capacity @ around Rp90'000) .

Online Shopping in Indonesia :
            www.shopee.co.id
            www.bukalapak.com
            www.tokopedia.com
            www.lazada.co.id
            www.blibli.com
            www.mataharimall.com
            Last edited by marcus; 22-12-19, 07:33.

Comment

I don't like (or want) a smartphone, that is why I travel with a laptop workstation, and mifi. I can't stand people who are always on their phones (or with their phones). It is like it is an extension of their body (like a puppet they carry around with them). So when you meet someone new, within seconds, you meet their phone, too. It is a really sad state of affairs in the world of humans (and their smartphones). Nothing smart about it, if you ask me. But thank you for trying to help me. I am still not sure if I will need 1 or 2 SIMs, since I may need to use the internet on my laptop (and talk on the phone) at the same time, so one SIM in the Mifi and another SIM in the nokia brick phone I have.

Comment

I agree that many people spend too much time on their smartphone , but it seems that you are blaming the smartphone instead of blaming the people's behavior .

... I am still not sure if I will need 1 or 2 SIMs, since I may need to use the internet on my laptop (and talk on the phone) at the same time, so one SIM in the Mifi and another SIM in the nokia brick phone I have.
                I guess that if your brick phone has no WiFi or Bluetooth capability then you will need 2 SIMs . In this case , one SIM may be only a data SIM (one that comes with xyGB "kuota") and the other only for call/sms (one that is only the empty SIM or one that comes already with Rp5'000 , Rp10'000 , ...credit (here called "pulsa" - so anywhere in the street you can buy "pulsa" , which usually you may tell the vendor "mau isi pulsa , Rpxy'000") .

Now it is mandatory to register any SIM . Registering requires your passport , but I think street vendors do it for you even without the passport .

For adding data credit in an old SIM also requires activation (better ask the street vendor to do it for you too) .
                Last edited by marcus; 23-12-19, 09:34.

Comment

I blame on all counts the person who being naive enough to subscribe to these smartphones, also blame the corporations that produce them and promote them to naive people who buy them. I don't blame the actual phone since it is just a tool built by people to shape other people's viewpoints, etc..I also have a low viewpoint for Facebook, and other large digital tech corporations. But the people are so proud of these devices, it is hard not to fault them. So the blame is on people, both the consumer and the corporation. People are too duped by their corporations. It is like the ultimate control system (for a people who still believe they are free). I never subscribed to these delusional philosophies. You can see, despite all this information online, people are still ignorant, and even getting dumber by the decade. Especially young people.

Comment

(1) I blame on all counts the person who being naive enough to subscribe to these smartphones, ...

(2) I also have a low viewpoint for Facebook, ...

(3) People are too duped by their corporations. It is like the ultimate control system ...

(4) You can see, despite all this information online, people are still ignorant, and even getting dumber by the decade. Especially young people.

(1) I use my smartphone mostly to cal my mother , relatives , and friends using Whatsapp or paid VOIP company (a lot cheaper than using your brick phone) . I am certainly not naive .

(2) In this I am with you .

(3) In general I agree that corporations/manufacturers are fooling us , making us to buy things that : we don't need , or with too many functions when we just use few of them (more functions mean more expensive + more prone to fail) , ...
                    Examples :
                    - I remember long ago when TVs were 4 x 3 display , manufacturers started to sell streched 16 x 9 (or similar) and made a system to distort/strech the TV signals originally received in 4 x 3 format .
                    - Now the manufacturers want to sell more expensive smart HD/high definition TVs when most of us are watching non HD content .
                    - Smartphone comes with (for example) cameras that I don't need but have to pay for them anyway . Every year its operating system becomes bigger , requiring bigger : processing power , memory and battery .
                    - Pay TV companies sell per package . I use to buy a 50 channels package when I only watch 5 of them .
                    - Simple shirts are mostly manufactured with pictures/writtings/brand's name on them which increase their cost (I don't like but sometimes I have not much different options) .
                    - Every year car manufacturers change their models to increase the price . My last car had no power steering , no automatic transmission , no powered windows , ... but now they all have these things . All these additional things make the car less safe , heavier , and requiring more maintenance .

(4) I agree that despite having access to internet most people are ignorant in many important subjects , like : eat health food/how to be health , financial planning/investing , politics/good governance , how to grow children/good manners & behavior , polution/invironment protection , citizen responsibility/laws/regulations , ...

----------------------------------------------------

I think the world needs more customer protection laws/regulations , and you are hurting yourself by being so negative .
                    Last edited by marcus; 22-12-19, 11:06.

Comment

Everyone is naive mate, it is the pinnacle of human ignorance. It is also very proud to say you are not naive. It is similar to saying you don't need help, or you don't need education. You might as well say you don't need food as well. Everyone, everywhere, at anytime could use a bit more knowledge about what's happening around them, by them, to them and through them.

And you can use your laptop to skype your mother without the smartphone. There is no need to use Whatsapp, you might as well use Facebook, too. Because they are similar companies that have nearly monopolized the way we communicate with each other. And I don't actually spend any money to use my brick phone. It currently has no SIM in it.

You should also be with me for #1, I think the reason is you may not feel comfortable to admit the way you have been doing things is perhaps not the best or brightest. This is where pride comes in. "Who is this person to tell me what's what..." Of course, many react proudly and defiantly, and then the learning and growing stops.

All these companies, not just Facebook are manipulating the way we communicate, absorb information and even hold opinions. I was against Facebook back in 2005, when it was still new. Back then. almost nobody was against it, now you see more people are waking up. It's like that with EVERYTHING popular. Smartphones, Amazon, Google, etc...I feel the same way about countries and governments. If you are against one form of control systems (i.e. Saudi Arabia), I fail to see how you can support another type (European Union). Or the USA. It is all bad, and nothing good in any of the systems or philosophies we promote or advertise. Especially the biggest lies, repeated enough times, become personal truths for me. As if there is such a thing as personal truth. It's made up. There is only ONE truth and it applies to everyone, all the time, and everywhere, without exception. But you won't find this little tidbit on FB. They usually block or filter what they don't like their subscribed masses to read about. A way of protecting the herd from information that would otherwise rattle them. We are basically treated like livestock by our corporations. Only there to work for them. Pay taxes. And then become old and die, to make room for a new generation of replacements.

And yes the camera on the smartphone is one of the reasons I don't want one. Have you noticed how in love people are with themselves compared to when you were a kid, for example? Youtube is full of people making out with their screens on a daily basis, this is narcissism. Remember pokeman game, how addictive it was, how many people died in road accidents because of obsession with their devices. The selfie culture is a result of cameras on phones. And it isn't just a phone, it is an entire entertainment system in your pocket, irradiating your genitals with microwave and electromagnetic radiation. At low levels for NOW, but in the future, the intensity of these devices will increase, and you will see even greater forms of enslavement to these insidious devices. We are both a little older, I think, so we pick and choose our poisons a little carefully, but young people, especially in high school and university are far less aware, and most just subscribe as a herding mentality, in order to fit in with their trendy friends, many of whom pick up on these habits from the mainstream media (more corporations that cooperate with one another) mostly in a bid to patronize us to products and services we don't really need. Many of which harm us, both physically, and mentally. But also emotionally and spiritually.

And don't forget about animal rights, despite the information out there, people still financially support massive food and agro corporations that mutilate livestock in the millions (and in the case of chickens. in the billions) every year in the US alone. You can imagine the world stats are even worse. People are ignorant and naive about almost everything. The situation isn't getting better, mostly since entertainment culture via devices doesn't educate people about what's actually going on, rather how they should be thinking about it, or more often, unaware completely.

Comment

(a) Everyone is naive mate, ...

(b) It is also very proud to say you are not naive. It is similar to saying you don't need help, or you don't need education. You might as well say you don't need food as well.

(c) Everyone, everywhere, at anytime could use a bit more knowledge about what's happening ...

(d) And you can use your laptop to skype your mother without the smartphone. There is no need to use Whatsapp, ...

(e) And I don't actually spend any money to use my brick phone. It currently has no SIM in it.

(f) ... I think the reason is you may not feel comfortable to admit the way you have been doing things is perhaps not the best or brightest ...

(g) "Who is this person to tell me what's what..." Of course, many react proudly and defiantly, and then the learning and growing stops.

(h) ... There is only ONE truth and it applies to everyone, all the time, and everywhere, without exception. But you won't find this little tidbit on FB ...

(a) dictionary.com , naive : having or showing a lack of experience, judgment, or information; credulous .
                        Yes , nobody knows about everything , but I meant that I am not naive in most of the important subjects applicable to my life style .

(b) You understood me wrongly . Of course everybody needs help sometimes and I am always trying to improve myself .

(c) I agree .

(d) I know about Skype (free Skype to Skype) , but my mother doesn't have a computer and also doesn't know how to use one too . She didn't have a smarthphone too , so I used a VOIP similar to Skype (but cheaper) to call her landline phone . I started to use this VOIP in my laptop but now I changed because it works better in the smartphone . Now my mother lives with my older sister who has a smartphone with Whatsapp , but I still use the VOIP to call old relatives who still use only landline phone . I know that when between smartphone to smartphone there are many options besides Skype and Whatsapp , but I use Whatsapp because most people in my country and in Indonesia are also using Whatsapp (sometimes you have to do what others do) .

(e) Can you tell us what exactly you do with your brick phone and what you will do with it when in Indonesia ?

(f) I try to take the best/brightest decisions/actions , and I don't have any problem in admitting things that I don't do well .

(g) You undertood me wrongly again . I am not like that .

(h) Can you tell us what is this ONE truth ?
                        Last edited by marcus; 22-12-19, 16:56.

Comment

I agree that people in general spend too much on smart phones ,only recently I was forced to get one for local banking reasons , Mandiri wouldnt let me use my laptop anymore for internet banking. . So no choice unfortunately .
                          Waze is a great app ,I dont get lost anymore and I can buy tokens for pln ,so its a little more convenient .
                          But I miss the keyboard on my old BB , I find flat screen keyboard not ergonomic .

Comment

So Scouser59 , first you tought it was unfortunate , but now that you bought/started using the smartphone you think it is useful , right ?
                            Last edited by marcus; 23-12-19, 11:30.

Comment

Originally posted by marcus View Post
                              So Scouser59 , first you tought it was unfortunate , but now that you bought/started using the smartphone you think it is useful , right ?
                              Ya no choice ,I felt I would be forced into it at some point , mandiri pushed me into it ,I did ask them for a free phone ,but suprise suprise they said no !
                              Some of the apps I knew would be good ,like waze , but ya I still prefer the bb keyboard , but I dont use the phone so much not like many on this planet .

Comment

Working...
                              X