Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vonage in indonesia

has anyone used Vonage in indonesia?
    If so, could i get some feedback please?
    thank you.

We have been using Vonage for almost 2 years and loving it. But I have to note that we are not using internet provider from Indonesia. Instead, we are using foreign satellite internet provider since local internet providers here are unreliable.
    Sound quality is good, rarely any problems and we can call our family and friends in the States for free and vice versa.

Comment

24/7 8mb

Originally posted by ladybug View Post
      We have been using Vonage for almost 2 years and loving it. But I have to note that we are not using internet provider from Indonesia. Instead, we are using foreign satellite internet provider since local internet providers here are unreliable.
      Sound quality is good, rarely any problems and we can call our family and friends in the States for free and vice versa.
      Please could you expand on the satellite internet provider system. Not having 100% relaible 8MB connection (free with $30 month HP contract) is THE ONLY thing that concerns me about living here full time from August.

I would be most grateful ladybug.
      [FONT=Arial]"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further."[/FONT]

Comment

Hi, cirebloke.

I am not familiar with the system. It is provided by hubby's company since we couldn't find any decent internet providers here. All I know is that the equipment was shipped from the US and it took quite sometimes to arrive since it needed approval from the Department of Post and Telecommunication of Indonesia and of course there was several different kind of import taxes to be paid.
        The service with ample bandwidth is provided by an Australian telecomm company and the dish is pointed to telecomm satellite somewhere in Europe. If you still need details on technical specs and perhaps $$, I will ask hubby whenever he is back from his business travel.

Cheers!

Comment

points at Europe....

Hi, cirebloke.

I am not familiar with the system. It is provided by hubby's company since we couldn't find any decent internet providers here. All I know is that the equipment was shipped from the US and it took quite sometimes to arrive since it needed approval from the Department of Post and Telecommunication of Indonesia and of course there was several different kind of import taxes to be paid.
          The service with ample bandwidth is provided by an Australian telecomm company and the dish is pointed to telecomm satellite somewhere in Europe. If you still need details on technical specs and perhaps $$, I will ask hubby whenever he is back from his business travel.

Cheers!
          Thank you very much for the reply.

Is your hubby James Bond?
          [FONT=Arial]"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further."[/FONT]

Comment

LOL... no.. never wished to marry James Bond since I'll be up on feet every single hour of the day with a clobber to make sure no women flirt with him or the other way around.

Comment

Thank you for your response. can you tell me what internet provider do you use and how much does it cos?

Comment

Ladybug

Quote:-
                "Sound quality is good, rarely any problems and we can call our family and friends in the States for free and vice versa."

"The service with ample bandwidth is provided by an Australian telecomm company and the dish is pointed to telecomm satellite somewhere in Europe. If you still need details on technical specs and perhaps $$, I will ask hubby whenever he is back from his business travel."

Unquote.

Free and perhaps $ .... Is it free or not, if so get you get one for me, I'm sure Cirebloke and others reading would like one too instead of paying the ISP rates here.

I need details please how much is really is this system to install?

Comment

Originally posted by jwalher1 View Post
                  has anyone used Vonage in indonesia?
                  If so, could i get some feedback please?
                  thank you.
                  I have vonage and am using Speedy as my ISP. Sad to say, bandwidth prevents me from making calls during the day here in Bandung (if I want to make a call I must wait until 10pm-7am). I even tweak Vonage's settings for low-bandwidth but it still isnt enough. I pay 800,000rp a month for internet and my average speed is around 80kps (they advertise speeds of 512kps).

Similarly, I cannot use Skype for the same reasons.

I sign up for the cheapest plan on Vonage ($22.99) and basically keep the service just so I don't have to cancel my American Phone number (which Ive had for 10 years now). I get email notifications and voicemail so it's not a total lost.

But yea, bandwidth just isnt strong enough during the day hours.

Comment

I've been using Vonage in Jakarta for about the past 5 years. In the early years the service was unreliable because of poor bandwidth from the ISP's but in the last few years things have improved drastically. Because the bandwidth is generally slower for uploading it would often occur that I could hear the other party but they couldn't hear me. I use both Biznet and FirstMedia Fastnet and have had very good results the past 1+ year. I've configured my dual WAN router to give priority to the VOIP so heavy downloading doesn't cause jittery conversations.

I hope this helps.

Comment

I know this is an old thread but does anyone happen to have a spare vonage box (phone adapter) that I can buy? I'm in Bali and mine just melted down. I'd love to avoid shipping a new one in from the US

Comment

I may have one. Need to find it first. Also to know is that any VOIP adapter can be configured to work with Vonage.

Comment

Originally posted by Bali88 View Post
                          I may have one. Need to find it first. Also to know is that any VOIP adapter can be configured to work with Vonage.
                          For some reason I just saw this reply. I must have missed the email. Did you ever find your Vonage adapter? Also I'm searching the how to use any VOIP adapter with Vonage but am not finding anything. Do you have any further info on how to get that to work and then I'll just buy one locally here.

Comment

Hmmm I'm also reading now that vonage will not allow a previously used adapter from somoene elses account to be acctivated again for a different account so looks like a used vonage box is off limits.

Comment

Working...
                            X