Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5 year requirement for teachers, confused!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 year requirement for teachers, confused!

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and I'm thinking about looking for work in Indonesia for the upcoming academic year. I'm currently working in Bangkok and will finish in my current position at the start of April 2018. I have been teaching ESL in some form or another for 8 years and have previously worked in Jakarta and Taipei. I also hold a CELTA and I've just finished an MA in TESOL. I should say that I worked in ESL for 3 years in language centres and I'm currently half way through my 5th year in a K12 school teaching EAL ("English as an Additional Language) in a private catholic school.

Now, my question is how exactly is the 5 years experience rule applied? I've trawled posts in this' forum and on other websites like Dave's ESL and come up a bit stumped. Some posters suggest that the MA along with five years experience will be enough and other sources say that the five year requirement is supposed to have been accrued after completion of the MA.

I've seen job postings by language centres, e.g. by Wall St here:
    http://www.tefl.com/job-seeker/jobpa...826&countryId=
    and they just say 'five years experience to be proved by references' but it's not entirely clear what they mean in terms of the specificity of the experience. Does the experience need to be specific to the type of school that you are applying for? (e.g. 5 years language school experience to work at Wall Street/5 years in a primary school to work in a primary school). I appreciate that this is a bit of a random question. I've been sending a prospective CV off to different schools, and they seem to need to check with their HR to see if my qualifications and experience meet the requirements.

Originally posted by lrbrugby View Post
    ... how exactly is the 5 years experience rule applied? ... Does the experience need to be specific to the type of school that you are applying for? (e.g. 5 years language school experience to work at Wall Street/5 years in a primary school to work in a primary school) ...

This is a specific requirement from Manpower's Regulation (PerMen no.16 , year 2015) applicable to all foreign workers , and there is no further detail in the Regulation . The Immigration Regulation (PP n.31 , year 2013) states that work Visas/KITAS are for work experts (except Directors & Commissioners) , so I understand that this 5 years minimum limit refers to a specific kind of work , like : 5 years in asphalt road's construction , 5 years in designing high buildings using steel structure , ... I suppose that how far this specific limit detail goes depends on the officers who will deal with the case . One Forum member (SVP_recruitment) said that , yes , 5 years experience teaching primary school to be eligible to teach in a primary school (see below) .

Be informed that this work experience must be related to your academic credentials too (see example below also from SVP_recruitment)

The above is what is in the official rules , but of course we hear some cases where foreigners still get jobs without being eligible , Besides some foreigners doing wrong things themselves , due to the low income of the Indonesians , I guess some schools cannot pay much and also end up doing some wrong things (sometimes with the foreigners' participation) , in order to get foreign workers . But be alerted that the Indonesian Legislators already issued stringent Laws to decrease this wrongdoings (see below) , although up to now we have heard only about cases of deportation/blacklisting of the foreigners in wrong work situations .

------------------------------------------

from http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...able-next-year
    [posted by gerrardtorres , Jan 2016
    When you say 5 years experience, is this 'post-grad' or just 5 years experience?]

Five years experience as a full time teacher in the role and level as the job advertised...

eg: If you are applying to be a Primary school teacher, you must have minimum 5 years FT experience as a Primary School teacher in a formal school. (English language schools, or tutoring do not count)

eg2: If you are applying to be an Secondary school English teacher, you must have minimum 5 years FT experience Secondary school English teacher and you degree must be in English or English Literature.

So, I guess yes, it would have to be post grad. Because a part time lecturing or tutoring job while you are completing your degree does not count.

from http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...sa-requirement
    [Originally posted by kimchidon , Jun 2016
    I know the educational ministry has cracked down in recent years and are now pretty strict in only hiring teachers whose degrees are in the same field as their profession. Does anyone know if you can use an MA just the same as a BA to meet this requirement, assuming your BA is in, say, communications?]

Yes, you can. But often the interpretation can be tricky, because they usually want to see 5 years of teaching experience post teaching degree.

But a Ba in Communications, with a Dip Ed in Teaching or Education followed by a Ma in English Literature would be suitable, if you had 5 years of teaching English experience if you wish to be an English teacher.

Or a Ba in Tourism followed by a Master Science Education with 5 years of teaching experience in Science would be ok to be employed as a Science teacher.

UU6 - year 2011
    Article 122
    Shall be punished with imprisonment of five (5) years and fined at most Rp500.000.000, 00 (five hundred million rupiah):

a. any foreigner who deliberately misuse or engage in activities not in accordance with the intent and purpose of the Visa/Stay Permit (#Work Permit/KITAS) given to him/her;

b. any person who ordered or provide opportunity for the foreigner to misuse or engage in activities inconsistent with intent or purpose of the Visa/Stay Permit (#Work Permit/KITAS)given to him/her.

Article 123
    Shall be punished with imprisonment of five (5) years and fined at most Rp500.000.000, 00 (five hundred million rupiah):

a. any person who knowingly gives a letter or false or falsified data or untrue statement with intent of obtaining Visas or Stay Permit (#Work Permit/KITAS) for himself/herself or others;

b. any foreigner who deliberately use the Visa or Stay Permit , as referred to in item a above , to enter and / or stay in Indonesia.

# included by the poster

Comment

Working...
    X