Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Teaching English as a Foreign Language

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Teaching English as a Foreign Language

    Hi all,

    My partner and I plan to move to Jakarta from Australia in mid-2017 - there is a good chance that she will be able to get sponsored by her employer and I am exploring job opportunities. Are there many opportunities Teaching English as a Foreign Language in Jakarta, if you only have a TEFL cert and no teaching experience? I have two university degrees, but neither is relevant to teaching. 10 plus years working in public relations/communications.

    Any advice or pointers greatly appreciated,

    Thanks,

    Barry

  • #2
    Originally posted by BarryDunning View Post
    (1) ... there is a good chance that she will be able to get sponsored by her employer ...

    (2) Are there many opportunities Teaching English as a Foreign Language in Jakarta, if you only have a TEFL cert and no teaching experience? ...

    (3) 10 plus years working in public relations/communications. ..

    (1) If she gets a job in Indonesia she must demand a work Limited Stay Visa/KITAS sponsored by the employer , otherwise it is not a legal work (illegal work is a crime in Indonesia) .

    (2) I guess you are not eligible for legally teaching English in Indonesia .

    (3) Maybe in this area you have chances to get a legal job .


    http://www.expat.or.id/business/jobseekers.html

    http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...596#post244596 (Requirements for teachers)

    http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...street-english (teacher : requirements and salary , example)

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks for your quick reply Marcus - I guess that teaching is off the table for me as an option so!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by marcus View Post


        (1) If she gets a job in Indonesia she must demand a work Limited Stay Visa/KITAS sponsored by the employer , otherwise it is not a legal work (illegal work is a crime in Indonesia) .

        (2) I guess you are not eligible for legally teaching English in Indonesia .

        (3) Maybe in this area you have chances to get a legal job .


        http://www.expat.or.id/business/jobseekers.html

        http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...596#post244596 (Requirements for teachers)

        http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...street-english (teacher : requirements and salary , example)
        Thanks for the Info, quite useful
        "The Beauty of Indonesia is located outside Jakarta"

        Comment


        • #5
          How about a teaching qualification and 10 years teaching experience in UK, (not TEFL/ESL related) and a CELTA qualification - would I potentially be able to seek work in Indonesia? Please.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by DippyDee View Post
            How about a teaching qualification and 10 years teaching experience in UK, (not TEFL/ESL related) and a CELTA qualification - would I potentially be able to seek work in Indonesia? Please.

            Sorry for the delay . I don't know much so better check further (besides the references I showed above) . From what I understood , you need at least 5 years work experience in the work you are applying for . I guess , if is for teaching English in a secondary school , you need 5 years experience in doing specifically that .

            This is a typical requirement example (from http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...street-english)

            [ .....
            Requirements:
            • Age below 50 year old (above this age, it will be difficult to obtain legal working status)
            • Citizenship: UK, USA, CAN, NZ or AUS only
            • Min. Bachelor Degree; preferably major in English/English Literature/TESOL
            • Must have TEFL, TESOL, CELTA or DELTA
            • Min. 5 years teaching English experience (should be proven through reference letters)
            • Healthy physically and mentally, ready to take compulsory medical check-up (drugs & HIV Tests)
            • Willing to work using contract based for minimum 12 months .....]

            Comment

            Working...
            X